03/29/24 at 00:05:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Telefunken EL84 (Read 835 times)
sz66panzer
Verified Member

Telefunken EL84
03/14/23 at 04:01:49

I recently got a pair of Telefunken EL84,when installed on SE84UFO25,the volume is low and the sound is muddy. When istalled on my friend's DIY amp ,the Telefunken EL84 sound nice,so the tube seems OK.

Is there any way to make my Telefunken EL84 to sound normally on SE84UFO25?Will an adapter work,I read that some type of EL84 have different internal connection?
Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Telefunken EL84
Reply #1 - 03/14/23 at 14:46:56

First, let me say that my experience with EL84 tubes in my UFOs is not good, but the volume was mostly the same compared to other power tubes. So just because they sound good in your friend's amp doesn't guarantee the tubes are good, they could just be be used differently.

Now to answer your question, the most obvious way to change the sound of the amp is to try a different rectifier. I can't tell you which rectifier will sound best in your system but there are many threads on this site about rectifiers other posters like and don't like. You can also try different input tubes and/or different types of the VR tubes. Maybe there is a combination of tubes that will give you the sound you are looking for, the question is are you willing to try all the tubes necessary to find it?

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/14/23 at 19:46:25

I have tried a number of different EL84 when I had my SE84UFO2 and a couple in my UFO25.

I found similar results.  Some were good and some were as you describe, not good.  The EL84's that were not good I chalked up to being used and should have never been sold.  They sounded as a well used tube would sound.

I bought new TAD STC EL84's from the Tube Store. In my SE84UFO2 and the UFO25  - these were good but not to my liking.

I now have the CryoTone EL84-WC.  Even without the benefit of the Hazen Grid Mod the CryoTone EL84-WC  are simply in a class of their own!  No going back!

Don't let the price or what you think you know about EL84's put you off from trying these.  Of the very few times that I recommend anything these I highly recommend.

IP Logged
sz66panzer
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 03/16/23 at 04:02:02

To CAJames:Thanks for your comments,that's helpful!

To JOMAN:Besides Telefunken EL84 ,I also tried reissued Mullard EL84 and GoldLion El84 made in Russia,I've the same feeling as you:they sound good,but..after some time,I come back to 6P15P sent by Decware Smiley

Sincerely Thank you for your recommendation.Actually I've noticed CryoTone EL84 through the forum.On early February,after some brief talk with Don, I've placed an order around EL84,except that the input tube I changed to 12AU7.It seems that Don prefers EL84. But at the check out stage,the system shows that my address is not supported..Don said he would find out it,but till now still not supported.I plan to ask some friends for help when they would come back from US.

Now I live happily with Telefunken 12AU7 + 6P15P.With this combo,I've heard rich inner details and emotions that I've never heard before.Sometimes it feels like I'm listening to these records for the first time.The SE84UFO25 is really transparent.The music is full of vitality,especially on vocal and string music, I don't want to shut down and have rest.Maybe I'll stay at this stage for quite some time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print