Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:58:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Broken Tube Socket (Read 1238 times)
thethanimal

Broken Tube Socket
03/14/23 at 01:21:57

I’ve already emailed Steve, but checking here for feedback too. I removed my 8-pin to 4-pin adapter that lets me run a globe Type 80 rectifier so I could go back to my 5U4G, and the connector for pin 3 came out of the tube socket attached to the adapter. The connector for pin 5 is loose too. I’m assuming this is a tube socket replacement that means shipping back to Decware? When I opened the amp a while back I seem to remember that socket soldered in, and thus beyond my expertise for this amp.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Broken Tube Socket
Reply #1 - 03/14/23 at 02:12:06

I would certainly do whatever Steve suggests, but technically pins 3 and 5 are not used by any rectifier (at least none that I know of) so it is possible you can just keep on keeping on.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
thethanimal

Reply #2 - 03/16/23 at 14:31:26

Thanks. That gives me hope, but I’ll keep it plugged until I get word from Steve.

IP Logged
thethanimal

Reply #3 - 03/23/23 at 02:19:07

I had the time to pull the bottom off the amp yesterday. You can see on pins of the sockets for the input and power tubes from the inside, but the rectifier tube socket is obfuscated by a PCB that holds the fuses between it and the power transformer. Unfortunately, that leaves me no closer to enjoying my amp again.

IP Logged
thethanimal

Reply #4 - 03/24/23 at 02:26:28

You can tell I’ve been preoccupied with work, a clothes dryer repair, and two young kids with consequent sleep deprivation. I just pulled out the iPad to Google rectifier tube schematics while listening with my cheap class D amp, and all schematics for 5U4G, 5AR4, GZ31, and 5Y3GT tube power supplies skip pins 3 and 5. So I went over to just give my 5U4G and 5931 tubes a try in the amp… lo and behold! neither tube even has pins 3, 5, or 7!

I am now happily listening to Frank sing to only the lonely.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #5 - 05/06/23 at 16:04:16

thethanimal - Alway glad to see a work around. Glad to hear you are back listening to your Decware gear. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print