Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:08:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
zkit1 alternative power transformer UK Mullard (Read 738 times)
otookey
Verified Member

zkit1 alternative power transformer UK Mullard
03/08/23 at 17:05:28

Hi all. Newbie here. I want to build the zkit1, but the edcor power transformer is almost £300 including shipping in the uk. I found a cheaper Mullard transformer, but it’s 5V secondary is 2A rather than 3A of the recommended edcor. Does the amp even use the 5V tap? Can I use the Mullard safely? They are available at Primary Windings, model Mullard 5-10 Stereo.
I also want to use these toroidal OTs. Are they suitable?
Toroidy TTG-EL84SE

Thank you.
Ollie.

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Re: zkit1 alternative power transformer UK Mullard
Reply #1 - 03/10/23 at 13:51:52

I believe that Mullard transformer would work. The 5v lead is for a tube rectifier, which isn’t used in the zkit.
I can’t say for sure about the toroidals… they are far enough out of spec that I wouldn’t be comfortable using them but they may work.
Let us know how it turns out.

IP Logged
otookey
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/10/23 at 19:30:18

Thanks for your reply. Somebody else on the forums has used the toroids and didn’t report any problems. I also found a seller on eBay from Greece who makes transformers for the zkit1. Has anyone used the eBay ones?
Thanks

P.S I don’t know why this posted is in the important forum rather than in the board one!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/17/23 at 13:34:59

By the nature of toroidal reactions in a circuit there might be issues with voltage swings especially on low frequency’s. I would avoid using those as output trannies in a single ended application.

I did look at the Greece offerings. Was considering a order but had a change in game plan when others showed up on e-bay. Look to be good custom output trannies at a fair price. Just have to wait for them.

My2
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print