Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 00:35:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What to do with the last $500 of 2023 budget? (Read 807 times)
JBzen
Seasoned Member

What to do with the last $500 of 2023 budget?
03/08/23 at 14:12:48

Well guys it has been a good year for the Chariot. It is closing quickly to great outdoor pursuits. There is still $540 in the audio budget to spend on what? A lot of choices for me!

So far this year all ICs and speaker wire have been upgraded to OCC, 78 LPs and 42 CDs purchased, ZDAC+ZBOX+RSB6, and Otari RtoR acquired, SE84UFO25 order placed, Zenfest attended, record cleaner completed and albums cleaned, system power upgraded, and various test equipment purchased.

I'm waffling between a tape purchase from Ed Pong, ZP3 tape input mod, replacement tubes, or just buy more albums from a guy who has many to sell. The latter 2 would definitely cut into my outdoor time.

My system is sounding the best ever and I spent many hours this past two months listening without any fatigue. Matter of fact daily schedules are looked at before starting a listening session because once I go in it is hard to meet demands outside the Charoit.

So what should I do? Roll Eyes

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: What to do with the last $500 of 2023 budget?
Reply #1 - 03/08/23 at 17:13:57

John,

Based on your post it sounds like vinyl and tape is important to you.  I vote for upgrading the  ZP3 with the tape input mod or obtain some more vinyl.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 03/08/23 at 21:53:18

When in doubt I always buy music. FWIW.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 03/09/23 at 06:30:56

John,

I noticed in your tag line that you run the Ortofon Bronze cartridge.   I have been looking to upgrade my stock Rega carbon cartridge and the bronze is a top contender.  How do you like it what did you have before the bronze?  At some pointI do plan  to put up a post in the vinyl section, but figured I would ask.

Thanks,
Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/09/23 at 13:36:19

Hey Dom,

I used the Stanton 681EEE almost exclusively over the years. The Ortofon Bronze is an excellent upgrade from the Stanton. The Bronze can be upgraded to the black with the Shibata needle available as a separate purchase. I did look at that as a potential use of funds but my bronze nude still has plenty of life in it with only about 500 hours of use.

How do I like it you ask! It passes all my technical reference grooves without a hitch. With the right tracks and ideal atmosphere, cymbals shimmer, mids are moist and juicy, and bass sublime.

I track at 1.5 grams with anti-skate. When time permits, there is a plan to upgrade leads and ICs on the JVC turntable. Vibration isolation brings huge improvements. The JVC platter is well isolated with the factory matt. Isolation of the turntable base is accomplish with a underhung damped spring box.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print