Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZBIT into a ZROCK (Read 1865 times)
cliffmay
Verified Member

ZBIT into a ZROCK
03/07/23 at 18:09:53

Howdy, folks. I got a question....

My ZROCK made it quite a bit in front of my amp. Been loving what the ZROCK is doing in my current system. Basically have a switcher in front of it and everything feeds though it to my integrated amp.

The question I have is I'd really like to utilize a ZBIT with my dac... For folks that use a ZBIT into a ZROCK, do you get enough voltage out of the DAC without overloading the ZROCK? Is it worth it?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ZBIT into a ZROCK
Reply #1 - 03/07/23 at 18:19:39

In my case, in two systems--no overloading, great sound, yes, worth it.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #2 - 03/07/23 at 19:35:30

I have zero issues and to answer your question….it’s totally worth it.  The majority of DAC’s put out 4 volts when running balanced, but there are some DAC’s a can put out up to 12 volts (like the Teac 505) if set to variable.  

According to the manual the ZROCK2 can handle 4 volts max on its input.  Just check to see what your dac puts out when running balanced.  But I’m sure you will be fine.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/07/23 at 20:46:25

So who it goes ?
DAC > Zbit > Zrock > Amp ?

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 03/07/23 at 20:52:49

I used to do that. . . but for the last four years or so it's been DAC to ZTPRE to ZBIT to ZROCK2 to SE84UFO3 Monoblocks in my main system.

In my living room audio/visual system it's Oppo UDP-205 to ZBIT to ZROCK2 to CSP3 to DALAUDIO amplifier.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/07/23 at 20:57:15

Would you add the Pills to that ?

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 03/07/23 at 20:59:33

Personally I have no real need or desire for Pills. The cost of the expensive interconnects I would need to match what I have is prohibitive, and I don't feel I have a real problem they would solve.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/07/23 at 21:19:51

I use Lon's 2nd system setup. DAC-ZBIT-ZRock2-CSP3-Torii IV

The ZBIt converts from balanced XLR to single ended RCA, so for folks without balanced pres, it usually comes after the DAC. It can really shine there by utilizing a voltage bump from most DACs, and running that signal through nicely transparent and smooth transformers, making the DAC sound better to me while giving more gain riding to sound flexibility... part of this is the higher voltage potential from balanced out of the DAC. The ZBIT gain knob makes adjusting DAC voltage easy for sound preferences and gain riding. My DAC puts out about 6 V balanced, then a ZRock2 after the ZBIT, and CSP3 after the ZRock, I use three pre stages. This combo does tend to cause earlier distortion from my Torii... a little earlier, making gain riding trickier for high volume listening. It is especially noticeable with some recordings and less so with others. Guessing compression, release, limiting edges in mastering, and the like probably play a roll there...

Anyway, I am used to just thinking I have earlier distortion with 3 stages in front of my Torii...two being less prone to early distortion. And my Torii is toned down some to complicate matters. I like the sound better with tubes that do not pull absolutely all the available power. In combo with earlier distortion from the using my 3 pre stages, my ±92 dB speakers are a little inefficient for my loudest listening volumes in my relatively large space. Normally playing much lower volume, it is gorgeous and satisfying for most of my listening, but in late night, lost in the music mode (at the seat), I am near the edge of distortion for this setup. Guessing that if I had say 95 dB speakers, I might not have noticed this.

So I need to try to measure the output voltage of the ZBIT and make sure it is under 4 volts based on the spec Dom gave us of a 4 volt max for the ZRock2 and check that out. I wonder if it is this, or some other voltage/impedance issue with more and more pieces in a chain? Anyone?

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 03/07/23 at 21:26:15

Actually I think that 4 volt input for the ZROCK2 was for the very first incarnation of that (ZROCK) which has not been in production for five years or more. According to the manual for the ZROCK:

Input voltage - 0 ~ 15 volts max

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/07/23 at 21:28:23

Interesting. So I wonder if anyone can tell me why I get a little easier distortion with these 3 pre-amp stages in succession over two or one. I have never taken the time to learn the details of voltage and impedance when combining gear like this, or even know where to look. I just assumed all Decware will work together really well, and this thing has had me a little buffaloed. But the sound is so good, I live with it, just running my late night sessions near the edge.. wishing I could go a touch past that at times.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #10 - 03/07/23 at 23:43:13

Lon….very interesting.  On the main ZRock2 page… when you scroll down it indicates 0-15  input voltage.  When you click on the actual operation manual in pdf.  It indicates 4 volts max.  Like you said…maybe the lower voltages was from the original ZRock.  

The 0-15 volt max sounds more reasonable…just confusing with the conflict from the Main page information and the pdf user manual.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 03/07/23 at 23:49:19

Dom, there's a number of things I have found over the years that are either cut and paste victims from previous versions, or not updating manuals fully. I've pointed out a lot to Steve. . . but don't always want to, don't want to be "that guy" pestering about things. Wink

The way the ZROCK2 acts in my systems I'm pretty sure that the 15 volt total is accurate--I can pump a lot of gain into that component!

IP Logged
cliffmay
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 03/08/23 at 02:02:49

Awesome news, Lon! on the 15 volts portion.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #13 - 03/08/23 at 05:45:19

Lon…I’m sure the 15 volts max is accurate.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I just want to make sure the OP is getting accurate information…especially if he is looking to purchase a component.   Gain riding is a great tuning tool and I’m glad I incorporated a ZBIT into my system with the addition of the ZROCK2.

I recently swapped out a 12AU7 in my ZSTAGE and tried a 12AT7WA.  It’s still breaking in, and while I don’t think it’s going to stay, the addition of the ZBIT allows my to tailor the gain coming off my dac to compensate for the higher gain on the 12AT7 tube.  The manipulation of the ZROCK2 also allows me to take some of the edge and brightness off the 12AT7 by adding a bit more bass.

Dom

IP Logged
cliffmay
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 03/08/23 at 17:04:34

Appreciate all the feedback, folks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print