Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 05:21:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
the reading on the meter (Read 1355 times)
sz66panzer
Verified Member

the reading on the meter
03/07/23 at 13:12:34

When I just received my SE84UFO25, I noticed that the meter read about 32 with the 6P15P sent along with the amp. As written in the manual 'With the supplied output tubes, the meters should read between 20 and 30 mA. Tubes that fall outside that range should be watched carefully. 'So I think the tubes are already in an unhealthy state.

But these two days I have in succession received some 6P15P and EL84s, some are brand new and some are NOS.None of these tubes read below 32 on the meter,the EL84s are even higher about 36.Unlikely all these tubes are unhealthy, so I wondered if the manual be correct here,or if my meter have some problem,or ..
Could somebody help to explain ?Thanks in advance. What's the reading on your meter?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: the reading on the meter
Reply #1 - 03/07/23 at 13:16:34

My new tubes bought from Steve or eBay or the one pair of output tubes bought from Wathen all read between 30 and 40 on my Taboo Mk IV when brand new (the only component I have with meters).

I think that the wording of the manual could be better in that it is not an issue if the tubes read ABOVE 32 but that if the tubes read on the meter below 25 to 32. So . . . in my opinion, based on 25 plus years with these output tubes in Zen amps. . . rest easy, your tubes are fine, more than fine. Use them with confidence and enjoy the music.

I don't believe Steve feels differently, if he does I hope he chimes in.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
sz66panzer
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/08/23 at 01:02:45

Thank you Lon! Very helpful!I wiill ignore the meter reading Wink

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/08/23 at 19:55:06

Second what Lon said and will add the following...

Speak with Steve if you would like further reassurance.  I doubt that there's anything wrong with the meters.  Note that in the instructions the word "should" is used not "must".  My conversation with Steve about this was quite some time ago so I can't be specific but I believe he also mentioned that the incoming power could be a factor.

I have found the meters to be very useful in the following ways:

1.  Checking how closely the tubes are matched

2.  Indicators of the amp reaching its limits, the meters will "dance".  I've yet to have that happen and I have pushed it, hard!

The manual states that the UFO25 is a very transparent amp and that you could notice artifacts/distortion as a result.  I've only recently discovered just how transparent it is.  Absolutely outstanding!  If you should hear artifacts/distortion the question then becomes, Is it the result of the amp at its power limits or is it something else???  Easy way to tell is to look at the meters.  If they're steady then the amp is not at its limits.  It's something else.  I've found this to be very useful.

IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/09/23 at 00:34:07

Thats exactly where mine have read since receiving my UFO2.1 about 17 months now. Same with back up tube set, all good!

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/09/23 at 02:02:47

Using different types of rectifiers change the reading? Just curious if that had an effect on the UFO2*.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #6 - 01/20/24 at 18:50:09

I was reading some posts from early in 2023 (it's a slow morning here in Berkeley:) and found one that still leaves me scratching my head.   JOMAN said back then:

"I have found the meters to be very useful in the following ways:

1.  Checking how closely the tubes are matched

2.  Indicators of the amp reaching its limits, the meters will "dance".  I've yet to have that happen and I have pushed it, hard!"

#2 IS OK, but #1 I'm still not following? Which tubes does he refer?

Out of the seven tubes in this amp, four are in pairs: the 6P15P and the OA3. Are the values on the meters revealing the potential matching of the first pair or second pair of tubes.

Maybe I do not appreciate the value of these meters, their overall contribution seems minor.

Thanks

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #7 - 01/20/24 at 21:18:34

Quote:
Posted by: Tony      Posted on: Today at 10:50:09

...Out of the seven tubes in this amp, four are in pairs: the 6P15P and the OA3. Are the values on the meters revealing the potential matching of the first pair or second pair of tubes...

The 6P15P, i.e. the power tubes. The meters read the current "out" of the power tube into the output transformer, which you can think of as the current "carrying" the music on each channel. They ought to be, if not exactly the same, then pretty close.

P.S. I guess if there were problems with OA3 aka VR tubes that would show up on the meter as well. Although I think in general either the VR tubes work or they don't, they don't get weak. You would also see that as the tube getting dim.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print