Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 00:31:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
mA gauge readings -- too high? (Read 780 times)
mk60

mA gauge readings -- too high?
03/04/23 at 22:34:48

Hi all, continuing to get to know my UFO25. It's second hand -- I'm told it has <100 hours on it, but of course I take that with a pretty big grain of salt. Especially since it has a 2018 build date. It is cosmetically perfect, though, and sounds fantastic, so who really knows? I have the whole original tube complement that came with the amp new.

Reading the "Start-Up" section of the owner's manual, it says that the meters should read between 20 and 30 mA, and that "tubes that fall outside that range should be watched carefully."

Both of my meters seem to read higher than 30 mA. Left one reads ~32 mA, whereas the right reads ~34 mA. According to the above sentence from the manual, I should be concerned. Should I actually? What is it that might be going wrong (that is, which tubes' fault is it?). Also, is it concerning that the two meters don't match exactly? Or is it more important that they each just read somewhere between 20 and 30 mA and don't need to match?

Again, I think the amp sounds great as is, but if the meters reading outside of the recommended range does point to a problem, I would appreciate any tips for troubleshooting!

Thanks so much Smiley

Main System: Lumin U2 Mini->Denafrips Pontus II->ZTPRE->[2x SE84UFO25 in Differential Balanced Mono]->Klipsch La Scala AL5 + 2x REL 212/SX
Office System: Naim Uniti Atom->SE34I.5->Zu Dirty Weekend 6 Supreme
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: mA gauge readings -- too high?
Reply #1 - 03/04/23 at 22:44:03

I don't think you have to worry. I believe that you only have to worry should they read LOWER than that range. Reading higher just means they are stronger tubes, not a disadvantage or worry.

Those are matched enough to not be any problem as well in my (25 years) of experience with Decware amps. And that they are so strong is a testimony to the fact that this amp probably did not see much use in all that time.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Re: mA gauge readings -- too high?
Reply #2 - 03/05/23 at 18:40:13

The readings on both of the meters on my UFO25 are 40mA.  These readings were the same with the red tip 6P15PEV that came with the amp and now the CryoTone EL84-WC.

I talked to Steve about the readings when I first got the amp and he did not think it was anything to be concerned about.  My UFO25 was one of the first and I have had no issues with it at those readings.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print