Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:06:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84UFO2.1 in mono with single ended AND balanced (Read 898 times)
cpucath
Verified Member

SE84UFO2.1 in mono with single ended AND balanced
03/03/23 at 13:13:27

After 19 months my 2 SE84UFO2.1 have safely arrived.  And they were worth the wait. At times, I am planning to use them as mono-blocks and have also gotten the DECWARE XLR to rca input cables, but not sure how to hook up the speaker for mono mode.  The manual mentions how to set up mono with RCA input but want to be sure it would be the same for the XLR "balanced" mode.
1)
Can some one give me details of speaker cable set up with XLR and confirm where each of the RCA inputs from the DECWARE XLR -> RCA balance cable should be placed

2)
If running mono in single ended (RCA) mode, do you need to split the RCA signal to left and right?

Thanks to all
Larry

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: SE84UFO2.1 in mono with single ended AND balanced
Reply #1 - 03/03/23 at 14:17:22

Hi Larry,

Firstly congratulations, and welcome to the family! I had a pair of UFOs that I was using as balanced mono-blocs and they were so good I got back on the waiting list for a pair of UFO25s.

On page 17 of the UFO manual there is a good description of how to wire the amps for both balanced and "regular" mono:

https://www.decwareproducts.com/_files/ugd/f1f204_e1b8a7c7f5f74930ae24a5c7b28d10...

In short for balanced you jumper both - speaker terminals together and connect the + terminals to the speakers.

For single ended mono, yes you need to split the input and connect the speakers in series, as explained in the manual.

I'm curious about the Decware XLR to RCA cables, how did you get them? I don't see them on the web page and some of us have been waiting a long time for Decware to offer these.

Good luck, and let us know your results!

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
cpucath
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/03/23 at 14:36:40

Thanks for your response.  Interesting that the manual that I downloaded from the website was different and I could not find that diagram! https://www.decwareproducts.com/_files/ugd/f1f204_fb43ae67a68849fd877328d80e2860...

The amp description on line describes "... these amps can even be run as fully differential balanced mono blocks". When I ordered that amps and spoke with Steve, I asked about how to do that and he added the cable to my order.  

Thanks again!
Larry

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 03/03/23 at 15:02:12

Quote:
Posted by: cpucath      Posted on: Today at 06:36:40
Thanks for your response.  Interesting that the manual that I downloaded from the website was different and I could not find that diagram...

Yes, the manual for the UFO2 is different from the "plain" UFO manual, but they are the same amp under the hood and the UFO manual has the better description of balanced mode, for whatever reason.

Also interesting that Steve is selling XLR -> RCA cables but (AFAIK) hasn't mentioned it online .

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Minhee
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 10/04/23 at 03:50:59

XLR (also known as Cannon) is designed with 3 contact pins, including 2 reverse phase signal pins and 1 ground pin. XLR cables carry balanced signals, which are effective in reducing signal interference, especially when transmitting signals over long distances.

RCA is designed with 2 contact pins, 1 signal pin and 1 power pin. RCA cable carries an unbalanced signal, so its weakness is signal interference when transmitting signals over long distances.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print