Cove ceilings (Read 551 times)
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Cove ceilings
03/02/23 at 17:32:22

I’m wondering what influences occur with rounding off all the 90* angles at the top of your listening area? When I have moved an amplifier from elsewhere into my living room with a cove ceiling I “think” it suddenly starts to punch well above its weight. Has anyone else experienced something similar? I’m all for basic room treatments to knock down reverberations & resonating frequencies. But I haven’t heard much about the corners & 90’s at the top of the room being addressed. Only about treatments for the center of ceilings.
Thank you for your patience & tolerance, Ralph

free images for facebook

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Klipsch Forte IV
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>JBL N26
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601 series I
  IP Logged
JMeader

Re: Cove ceilings
Reply #1 - 03/02/23 at 19:03:39

As you can see in the photo my ceiling is rounded

This absolutely has an impact on the sound you hear from your speakers

Example if I stand between my Las Scala's and look back at my setting position the music sounds as if I have surround sound

it also impacts speaker locations within your room  as you can see in the photo my La Scala's are on a 12 inch boxes - while the impact was minor there was a benefit. I think this has more to do the room volume created by the 14 room height

I believe the impact is based on all the reflections that are going on in any room

Hope this helps

CD's Digitized via Exact Copy
Music Files read by Audirvana Studio
on Win10 PC
Sent to Pontus 2 12th -1 via USB
out XLR to Schiit Frya S PreAmp
Torii Jr V2
to fully updated 1987 La Scala's
  IP Logged
Dogma
Verified Member

Re: Cove ceilings
Reply #2 - 04/04/23 at 15:47:34

I've seen drawings on several room treatment websites that show how sound waves bounce around rooms and they do concentrate in corners,especially where the walls and ceiling meet.It may have been the GIK site that had the graphics, I don't remember now.I have panels in each corner from floor to ceiling.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print