Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 13:10:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware Historians: Copper Foil VCAPs (Read 1119 times)
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Decware Historians: Copper Foil VCAPs
02/25/23 at 04:50:22

I recently met a seller with a 2018 CSP3 with "Copper Foil VCAPs," which was new to me.  From the Decware invoice he had, I could see this option was expensive, around $850.00

I searched for the term and came up with only one post by Steve in 2018.

Does anyone remember this option, and would it be desirable on a CSP 3 or not?

Thanks

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Re: Decware Historians: Copper Foil VCAPs
Reply #1 - 02/25/23 at 08:28:42

Later, I searched again using just words "copper foil" and found much more. Still, if anyone can briefly explain benefits vs cost, I would like to hear. Thanks.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/25/23 at 12:36:13

I'm not a Decware historian.

At one point Jupiter and VCAP capacitor options were available.

What I recall reading is that the VCAP took a long time to burnin and didn't sound that great at first. Once they settled they offered a cleaner sound compared to the Jupiter which had a more juicy sound.

I don't recall exactly why Steve stopped offering the VCAPs. One thing is they are a lot more money than other options.

There was maybe a month time when Mundorf caps were used. Mundorf makes a lot of different caps. The few I've heard haven't suited my tastes.

When Steve chose Miflex caps I was thrilled and sent my Torii MKIV back to have the caps changed from Jupiter to MiFlex.

I love Miflex caps.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 02/25/23 at 12:46:33

GS is correct, these were an option for some time. I only know there were "V-Caps" available, did not know if they were the copper foil or another form.

I have never heard a component with V-Caps. Their reputation is to be a bit more analytic than other caps. . . whether that is deserved or not, it's not a direction I wanted my components to go so I always made other choices.

As for Jupiter and Miflex . . .I have one ZROCK2 with each in Anniversary Mod form. Both have their advantages to me, I don't have one that I love more than another I guess.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #4 - 02/25/23 at 15:17:14

Thank you for the comments on Copper Foil VCAPs.  Since they were offered for such a short time, perhaps not much is known about them firsthand from the community.  Especially if there were better or lower-cost alternatives.  

If anyone has experience with them, I would appreciate your thoughts.

IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/27/23 at 03:16:58

I have V-Caps in both of my Atma-Sphere pieces, M-60 monoblocks and an MP-3 preamp. The MP-3 came to me with the V-Caps, but I bought the M-60s at a prior revision level and they were then upgraded by Ralph to 3.3 status, including the V-Cap upgrade. The difference after the upgrade was very noticeable.

In general I would call the V-Caps detailed and neutral rather than analytical. All of my Decware pieces had the Jupiters, and they were definitely a bit warmer, but the difference wasn't huge and the balance could easily be changed by rolling tubes.

Capacitors are very much like tubes in that above a certain level they all sound good; they're all just different flavors. My Don Sachs preamp had the Miflex and they sounded great too, more like the Jupiters, and my Modwright preamp had custom caps made by Modwright which sounded more like the V-Caps.

All this is to say I don't think there's any reason to reject an amp or preamp with the V-Caps just because it has V-Caps. I believe tubes and system synergy make a much bigger difference.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print