Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 23:13:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The final twist with the Sarah 300B amp (Read 5710 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

The final twist with the Sarah 300B amp
02/24/23 at 03:07:58

We have created an alternate look for the Zen Sarah 300B amplifier (SEWE300B).  
Because when you're Sarah looking good is never good enough!

It is available as an option in the shopping cart.

(You'll have to click to enlarge in order to see it in focus!)

There are many more pictures on the web page for the amp: https://www.decwareproducts.com/sarah

And here is the design thread that is still ongoing with these latest updates.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1649817393

Hope you like it : )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: The final twist with the Sarah 300B amp
Reply #1 - 02/24/23 at 03:31:37

That really looks classy. It has a mellow earth tone. Very nice!

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 02/24/23 at 04:18:11

Here is a possibly a better picture of it.  The base is walnut, the tube are the Chinese 300B that we found sounds great and the interconnects feeding the amp directly from the DAC are in development.  Since with this amp we can eliminate the needed sonic benefits of a preamp it lends itself to super transparency and a single interconnect.  That's a good reason to see what is left to hear with an all out cable design.  The red copper transformer covers match the exotic binding posts on this amplifier.  Unlike the binding posts the covers offer no sonic benefit, only looks and slightly lower operating temps due to reflecting the infra red heat from the output tubes.

Like all of our larger dimensioned amplifiers we are using 1/8" steel plates with powder coated finish in a high mass solid hardwood base.  Our original Zen Triode amplifier model SE84C is as thick of steel as you can comfortably bend into a six sided amplifier chassis. You can't bend 1/8 inch steel plate into a chassis because it's too thick.  To really compliment this kind of stiff mass the solid hardwood base reaches a full 1-1/2" thickness which is twice as thick as our other base designs.

When you're going to the trouble to point-to-point wire an amplifier featuring such a great output tube the resulting opportunity to hear additional clarity from vibration control presents itself and we want to hear it.

It's really about seeing how deep we can crawl into the music with 4K vision so all of these little things add some weight to that scale. I am presently listening to this amplifier exactly as pictured with less than 40 hours on it and it has melted my face off more than once ; )

Like I often do, tonight I find myself listening to the amp through my house speakers which have the most insane resolution of any speaker I have spent any time with in the past 30 years.  The only thing that came close is the Acoustats and those were even better in some ways but worse in others and overall this is far better due to the superior amplification possible.  Anyway, these speakers are like the James Web telescope and this amp loves that because it lets you really hear how good the amp is, the insane balance and density and imaging and scale are all in a new league because of the amps ability to drive these 88dB speakers to a usable and encapsulating level.  Sadly the UFO25 isn't enough juice for this kind of speaker.

And let's not forget the thing about how the pretty and extra thick copper makes it seem to sound better just like how your car always seems to have more power and run better after it's been freshly washed and waxed!

Everything counts.

WWW   IP Logged
bramar
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/24/23 at 20:29:54

Really nice. Steve, you created a great new amp.

IP Logged
Dylan
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 02/26/23 at 15:00:43

Is that beautiful red copper transformer cover look going to be available to the other amps or is it a Sarah specific? Cause I would Love to add that option to my UFO25 that's still on the waitlist.

Thanks
D.

IP Logged
bramar
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/26/23 at 22:42:31

Dylan,

That’s a chrome transformer cover, you can find chrome and other colors on eBay and other sources like mableaudio.com

Brad

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/27/23 at 11:08:51

Hey Brad! Good to see you around again.

Thanks for the lead. Yes those tranny bells would surely be made out of tin with plated copper.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 02/27/23 at 11:51:50

I paid off my order and I'm keeping it with the black transformer covers. I actually prefer that look.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/27/23 at 15:48:43

Quote:
Bramar said: That’s a chrome transformer cover, you can find chrome and other colors on eBay

Steve said it was Copper. Do you have any facts to support your claim?

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
bramar
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/27/23 at 19:31:18

Looks like chrome to me. My mistake.

Brad

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/28/23 at 02:47:06

Lon, I prefer the black as well. Congratulations on paying it off already! I’m halfway there.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/28/23 at 11:28:14

Quote:
Steve said it was Copper. Do you have any facts to support your claim?

Yes he did write that. Solid? Electroplated? Is the question that he can only answer. My suspicion is it might be the original covers electroplated with copper. That process if done right will add a few steps to the normal electroplating when plating copper over tin. Whatever the bells are composed of it is almost certain that Steve done it with longevity and electrical integrity in mind!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #12 - 02/28/23 at 15:39:26

Quote:
Posted by: JBzen      Posted on: Today at 03:28:14

Yes he did write that. Solid? Electroplated? Is the question that he can only answer. My suspicion is it might be the original covers electroplated with copper...

If they were sold copper I'm pretty sure they'd cost a lot more than $230 LoL. Also you'd be able to bend them with your fingers...

I'm pretty sure they are the original covers electroplated, FWIW.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #13 - 02/28/23 at 16:22:58

Quote:
The red copper transformer covers
Steve's quote above.

I may be wrong, but I think Brad is right about these being covers, albeit copper, and not chrome. In the closeup above, you can see the lip of the cover on top of the transformer. The cover simply bolts on, over the side of the existing transformer.

My opinion, anyway. Steve can verify.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/28/23 at 23:54:13

the copper against the cream top is beautiful and Im 100% certain Guttenberg flashed a peek a boo pic on his IG account today but then it seems to have vanished..... hmmmm . Top secret shit prolly

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 03/03/23 at 14:17:27

"The red copper transformer covers match the exotic binding posts on this amplifier."

They are not chrome. Although you may be able to purchase transformer covers on Ebay, replacing the covers on the Decware Sarah SEWE300B is not as simple as unscrewing one cover and screwing on another, because the transformer wires are routed through the holes in the covers, as shown here:

I suppose you could pay $4200 for the amp plus a few dollars more for a rattle-can of Krylon and turn the transformer covers into any color you wish.

I simply chose to allow my newly completed Sarah 300B to be sold to the next person in line and to wait a few more weeks for a new amp to be built with the copper covers.

MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 03/16/23 at 15:54:38

Ghostship is correct. The covers can not be removed unless the wires are disconnected. I had a scheduled phone conversation with Steve the other day. The Sarah came up in our conversation and he said the covers are custom made out of double thickness tin compared to stock and plated with copper.

John

IP Logged
mclark
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 03/16/23 at 17:31:53

Yep - Freshly cleaned cars sound quieter too!

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 03/21/23 at 01:05:08

Aren’t these amps out in the wild now. I haven’t seen a whisper from anyone. Do we have to wait for Lon to get his for the blessing?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 03/21/23 at 01:09:42

Look here for a look at one that just arrived at the owner's home:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1649817393/900#900

Unfortunately it remains a long wait til I get one. . . wish time would speed up.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 03/21/23 at 13:03:08

My Sarah 300B with Padauk wood base and copper transformer caps is in Packing & Shipping now. I figure at least a week to get my hands on it, then another ~200 hours break-in, then I'll post my impressions.

MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 03/21/23 at 13:10:22

Awesome! Looking forward to your impressions.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 03/22/23 at 14:33:13

What's with this 200 hour break-in crap?  Geez.  Steve didn't wait 200 hours to review his creation.  I doubt Guttenburg waits 200 hours to review anything.

Plug it in.
Take a listen.
What do you hear now?
Then, tell us what you hear after 200 hours.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print