03/28/24 at 09:41:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZLC noise? (Read 1621 times)
JWLaudio
Verified Member

ZLC noise?
02/23/23 at 00:01:21

I've had my ZLC plugged in for a few days now.  With only the ZLC plugged into the wall, the unit makes a slight buzzing noise that I can hear from probably 10-15 feet away, granted I am listening for it in an otherwise silent space.  Plugging in devices to the ZLC does not change anything.  Is what I am hearing what is described as "hum?"  This does not affect anything coming out of my speakers, the noise is from the ZLC itself when plugged into the wall.

The ZLC page says "Unlike normal (non-toroidal) isolation, the Zen Line Conditioner emits no RF and has no vibration or hum!  It is very high mass and has quality rubber feet so it is also self-damping."

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: ZLC noise?
Reply #1 - 02/23/23 at 01:06:33

I had the same issue with mine about 6 months ago. I had recently changed, to what I thought, was a better power cable. I put the old one back in, and silence again.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
JWLaudio
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/23/23 at 19:52:27

Thanks Geno.  I am using the cable that was supplied with the unit, but I guess I'll try some other ones and see if that helps.  

I think I also read somewhere that the ZLC makes noise when it's fighting DC on the line or something, but mine has been constant.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 02/23/23 at 20:48:18

The power cable that comes with it is kinda plain Jane. Get you a nice aftermarket one. That should help with the noise - plus it will help the sound quality too.

For the money, the Decware DHC-2 would be hard to beat.

Good luck,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
JWLaudio
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 02/23/23 at 20:54:16

I happen to have some DHC-1 cables.  I'll take it off one of my devices and try it on the ZLC.  Thanks for the recommendations!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 03/03/23 at 21:40:16

It may be unlikely, but worth checking to see if there is a loose bolt somewhere on the chassis.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
ervikingo
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 03/13/23 at 18:17:20

I am having the same problem with mine.  I plugged it in for the first time on Saturday.  I am using DECWARE DHC-3 power cord on it.

One of the circuits (#2 switch) is not providing any power.

Are each of the circuits fused independently?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 03/13/23 at 19:04:16

There are two fuses. I find it hard to imagine that one fuse would cover five outlets, and the other just one. I don't think it would be a fuse issue.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ervikingo
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 03/13/23 at 19:24:11

THANKS MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT

I agree.  I dont recall seen any fuse on the back of my ZLC.  I should unplug all units and see what is on the back panel.

This might be normal but the meter shows 123V and when I power on the systems connected to it voltage drops to 114V.  I thought/assumed the meter was showing incoming voltage and not voltage out from the ZLC.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 03/13/23 at 21:01:39

The fuses are in the same plastic housing as the IEC power cord input, a housing for the fuses below the inlet should pull out from that larger piece. Steve was sending 8 amp fuses, the manual says 10 amp fuses, large size. I always use slow blow.

Yes, as I understand it you should see incoming power on the meter. Mine matches what my power regenerators show as incoming power.

Sounds to me as if you should contact Sarah to set up a call with Steve. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ervikingo
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 03/13/23 at 21:25:35

thanks

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 03/30/23 at 16:49:06

Quote:
his might be normal but the meter shows 123V and when I power on the systems connected to it voltage drops to 114V.  I thought/assumed the meter was showing incoming voltage and not voltage out from the ZLC.

The meter shows incoming voltage.  The fact that it drops 9 volts with your stereo gear plugged into it suggests that the load of your stereo equipment is so great relative to the gauge of wiring feeding the outlet that the wire can't carry the current without dropping the voltage and no doubt getting warm.  Or it could be a bad outlet in the wall, or a circuit breaker that is worn out.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
ervikingo
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 03/30/23 at 16:59:36

Thanks Steve,

I replaced the breaker just in case (house is new, it was finished in 11/2017).  I checked tightness of the conductors on the breaker box.  Will do the same on the wall outlet and might replace the outlet.

!  Juan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print