Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 22:24:22 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
To Couple or Decouple (or both) is the Question (Read 5807 times)
Kamran
Seasoned Member

To Couple or Decouple (or both) is the Question
02/22/23 at 20:58:02

So I’m in the market for a new rack and it came down to two products based on my aesthetic and price range.

Butcher Block Acoustics 3 tier rigid rack.

Timbernations round posts stack rack.

I chose the latter because of two reasons:

At approx. the same price, Timbernation is offering a 2” inch walnut shelf vs. BBA’s 1.5“

AND

Each shelf is individually isolated by brass spikes. I’ve heard that brass is the best material for this application.  The rigid rack only has spikes at the bottom shelf.

However, there is a difference in understanding between the two companies on how isolation/coupling works.

Butcher Block is saying that their spikes offer coupling—which means that the vibrations from the entire shelf are being drained to my carpeted floor.

Timbernation is saying that each shelf provides isolation from the adjacent shelf with minimal contact area.  In other words, one shelf does not add to the vibrations of it’s sister shelf.

I think both are right but perhaps the Timbernation provides isolation and coupling at the same time.  The individual shelf’s are isolated from each other, but at the end of the day, whatever vibrational energy is being collected, is also being drained away with coupling to the carpet.

Thoughts?

Here are pictures of both for illustration:

Note that the first picture is of a sample Timbernation rack, which doesn’t have the bottom spikes for illustration, but mine will.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: To Couple or Decouple (or both) is the Question
Reply #1 - 02/23/23 at 11:34:34

Kamran, I like to have your budget for audio Wink

I think the mass of that Timbernation offering will pose a problem decoupling it from the concrete floor. Those cones are basically creating a solid post from floor up. Just like using a 📣.  The rack will work well if it is detached from the concrete floor.

My2

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/23/23 at 14:47:45

Hmm…noted. I might end up trying it both ways. With or without spikes on the bottom shelf.  I realize that removing spikes does not automatically mean I’ve decoupled it—-will look in to solutions that actively decouple it.  I’ll ask Timbernation if they provide options similar to BBA…where you can use either spikes (for coupling) or Neoprene pads (for isolation).

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/23/23 at 15:39:15

Not sure about the thread size, but I use similar to these under some components, but without the threaded post things.

https://www.amazon.com/Tertullus-Isolation-Vibration-Stainless-Equipments/dp/B09...

Its been years so not clear on details, but I played with different damping levels, trying one pad glued on or both, with and without the washer, as well as trying some with different balls. Seems I decided on some being ceramic and some steel, like two steel and one ceramic on one foot. I have not tested them lately, but thought they sounded pretty transparent in the ways they cleaned up vibration up and down in the uses I had and they are still in, so.....  

Some of mine are black and similar shape, and some with variations on shape and design, but all have the three balls between aluminum feet setups. The Chinese ones are generally not much money and could be worth a try.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/23/23 at 16:53:59

Thanks Will. I do plan to use isolation pucks or platforms underneath components on the future rack. I will look in to your solution as well.  

That said, I’m more intrigued about the rack itself.  I think there is something to be said about the individual shelfs being isolated from each other using minimal contact area with those brass spikes—so one shelf doesn’t transfer vibrational energy to another shelf and it all being drained at the bottom shelf.  My reading of concrete slabs suggest that it’s dense and does not transfer much vibrational energy on to furniture compared say to a suspended wooden floor.  So my thought process is that it might be beneficial to couple with the floor (in my case), to drain vibration away from the rack and at the same time, minimize the contact area for any external energy to get in to the rack.  I’ve also written to Timbernation to gauge what options they provide if someone wants to docouple vs. couple.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/23/23 at 19:49:03

This is a tricky area, fraught with different approaches and ideologies.... couple, de-couple, damped, some of each. Not that it is necessarily the best, I found I morphed/evolved over time into using some of each, and the only way to really tell for a particular use is to listen to comparisons.

With my HR-1s and MG944s (also ZYGI speakers) I found decoupling with this kind of ball and aluminum setup (or similar), worked best here compared to spikes. My floor is fired red brick on top of sand, and under that earth, so a good "drain" conceptually. As I recall the spikes I had helped overall, but focussed the sound too much for me, while changing the tone and feel in a little artificial sounding ways to me.

Under the HR-1s now I have much more costly, and similar but heavier duty bearing and aluminum feet, probably a little more carefully made by Ingress Audio. Comparatively they have a heavier top and bottom and a single bearing joining the carefully machined top and bottom cups. I think they brought a natural sounding focus more-or-less across the spectrum, while allowing more of the finest detail and space, and not changing the general tone or musical delivery negatively.

Back further, I was playing with wooden cone feet, and a number of Herbie's Audio labs things, and I still have some of them in some specific places. But I have for the most part moved away from Herbies on more critical stuff. All I have tried do some good things for bringing out finer information, but to me, at least the older models I have, tend to dull/slow the sound to various degrees too, making the sound on their own a little too damped for me. This is why I tuned the Chinese feet as described earlier, to tune each use to sound most complete and natural. As far as I can tell, all materials and designs have a sonic tendency, and if they are used together on the same foot, tuning can help. I wonder... with SS if the sounds of damping softening may be an attempt to make it feel more "analog" or something... hard to say, but I always prefer feet with less obvious self-sound.

That said, I have some Herbie's (I think Big) fat dots under my heavy Teak equipment cabinet, and the fat dots helped with fine detail, the good outweighing the level of damping sound effects they imparted for me, but there was enough that I believe I have compensated for dulling elsewhere. I have wanted to try something else there, but the cab is so big and heavy, I have just left it alone... these feet being pretty good... and of course it would seem that what we put on a foot effects their sound too, and this dude is heavy!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/23/23 at 20:05:23

I'm a fan of rigid rack with isolation for the components. I use Butcher Block Acoustic platforms. My brother has a pair of Butcher Block Acoustic Speaker Stands. High quality stuff.

The Timbernation look well made and I like the aesthetics.

If I had unlimited budget I would go with a rack that isolates each shelf. Currently I have 3" butcher block on the floor. Between the BB and floor I'm testing different styles of footers. Will, I ordered 2 sets of the footers you linked, going to try them between the floor and BB.

"draining away vibrations" This is way way above my pay grade! I don't understand how a spike can drain or eliminate vibrations from the non pointy end. In a laboratory environment and with the right conditions I'm guessing there is a measurable result.

In my experiments, decoupling and isolation done well is better than coupled at the speaker to floor and component to shelf. As I stated earlier shelf, rack and platform to floor I'm experimenting with.

Balls in cups I'm note sure how to classify those products.

Here is an interesting phenomenon. Adding more and more isolation seems additive, until you hit the turning point then it's exponential.

When I first tried Wave Kinetics A10-U8 (attenuate) I was really impressed with the first set. I slowly added more, each additional set was a nice improvement. When the final component had a set under it... YAHOO! Shocking how much of an improvement it was.

There is the issue of component self vibration. Not only do you want to attenuate this you also want to handle the airborne vibrations and the vibrations coming from the shelf to the component. There is also the vibrations coming from the cables attached to the component. So if your self is isolated the shelf itself will be picking up vibrations and sending them to the components. On a concrete slab get a ridged rack and spike it to the floor making sure it's level and doesn't rock. Then focus on isolating each component over time. Once that is all taken care of try isolating the rack from the floor.

Decoupling or isolation done poorly can be really bad. An example is the footers made with springs with nothing to stop the springs vibrating. Townshend uses springs and a dampening material for the springs. I would like to try a set, I'm not going to spend my money on them as my experience/intuition says that other approaches are more effective.

Concrete does vibrate! It transfers a lot of energy too. It is a lot better than a suspended wooden floor though.

I also used Herbies and migrated away from them—as a side note I really like the Herbies grungebuster TT mat—keeping them only in a few less critical places.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/23/23 at 20:30:35

Thanks Will … very useful information to consider.

Thanks GroovySauce—I almost pulled the trigger on Butcher Block Acoustics, but as mentioned, the per shelf isolation and thicker wood swayed my decision in favor of Timbernation.  That said, I do love the look of their isolation platforms and I can see myself isolating my source gear and amp using their stuff in conjunction with the Timbernation rack.

Here is a link to the set of cones and spikes that Timbernation offers:
https://www.timbernation.com/highendaudio-shop/p/cones-spikes

I also just spoke to them on the phone and they are also going to throw some circular pads that can be placed in addition to the brass discs if I opt to go to the decoupling route. In summary, 3 options:

1) Penetrate the thick carpet and pad and couple the rack to the slab with spikes
2) Decouple the rack by using the small circular disc for the spike to rest on
3) Double down on decoupling by placing their circular pad in between the brass disc and the carpet

Timbernation suffered from a fire last year unfortunately and while they are now operational, they are extremely backlogged.  I was quoted a 10-12 week delivery time.

IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/23/23 at 22:54:10

Kamran,

I have a Timbernation rack built by Chris himself way back in 2008. It's roughly equivalent to what they now call their Standard Rack, very similar to R31 on this page:

https://www.timbernation.com/customer-pics-praise/racks

So no isolation between the shelves, but I do have spikes as I'm in the basement with carpet over a concrete slab. I have Zu Druid Vs maybe 4 feet from the rack and a Zu Mini Method sub that sits 18" from the rack, and I can turn vinyl up to earsplitting volumes with no feedback whatsoever.

I have no experience with racks with individually spiked shelves, but it makes me wonder if it's overkill. Definitely easier to move around and rearrange though; my one piece (unless disassembled) rack is one heavy beast!

Timbernation makes really nice stuff. My rack has been all over the country with me, and is about to move again in June. Highly recommended.

David

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/24/23 at 01:18:31

David, thank you for your feedback! I rest just a bit easier hearing from another Timbernation customer.  They generally have favorable reviews otherwise I wouldn’t have considered them.  Looks like a great small business.  I spoke to Jess on the phone today and she was very accommodating.

Thanks for your 1+ on using spikes in a carpeted basement, which is exactly my situation.  I will have two subs sandwiching the rack and further sandwiched between two Klipsch towers and then Open Baffles 2 ft and change from the rack.  

I get that with a solid 2” hardwood shelf and posts, it will by itself go a long way to minimize vibrations but I like the idea of per shelf isolation for that extra level of protection—both from external vibrations coming in to the rack (from my speakers or subs) as well as vibrations from components and or their platforms originating on the rack itself.

I hadn’t even considered the whole moving thing, but you’re right, having individual shelves that can be easily separated will certainly be helpful in that situation.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/24/23 at 03:24:13

Kamran,

Draining away vibrations? In this universe mass rules! Setting a heavy piece of furniture on a much heavier larger solid mass that is exposed to sound pressure waves...guess what?

Will's floor is a great sink hole(drain). No solid mass with individual clay bricks nesting in sand.

Your floor is a solid large mass that is going to vibrate and that vibration will transfer to a rack pinned to it. The rack will inturn become a spout not a drain, I think.

When my system was decoupled from the concrete floor there was a huge improvement. A veil was removed. Intelligibility improved.

I like GS's idea of baby steps.

Will has experimented a lot to customize to his taste.
You will to. Good luck 👍

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/24/23 at 14:20:18

John, I think you nailed it (no pun intended) with respect to this being an experimental journey.  I will, like others before me, learn and adapt by trial and error.  And so it goes…

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/26/23 at 14:38:00

Kamran,

It seems you cannot go wrong with either brand.

Sounds like you are going with the timber nation the plus side if you go with the modular option is that if you find yourself in a position where you can move all you equipment to a lower plane the rack becomes platforms.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/27/23 at 05:22:43

Yea I’ve paid the deposit for Timbernation and I’ve spent the last two days second guessing my decision to not have opted for the Butcher Block Acoustics Rack—I think its cuz it’s available sooner vs the 10-12 week wait for the latter.

Part of my requirements was to have the rack wide enough to accommodate my center channel speaker which is 31 inches wide. The 36” BBA rack was coming out to 39 inches end to end (add 3” inches to the shelf width for the posts), while Timbernation was customizing to cut two inches for a total end to end of 37 inches. I prefer the shorter width so my front stage for HT does not go out of whack with the symmetry I’ve created.

The BBA rack does sit a couple of inches lower than the Timbernation, which was enticing.

Here’s an interesting read on vibration control:

https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/vibration-origins-effects-solutions

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/27/23 at 11:05:31

This is a paragraph from the article you referenced Kamran:

Speakers, the component responsible for producing the vibrations we seek to quell, require careful placement techniques to ensure the best performance and least interference. Spikes are certainly the popular way to couple loudspeakers speakers. These devices can be particularly effective when the speakers are to be placed on a concrete slab foundation. Here, the great mass of the concrete slab serves as an effective "sink" for the vibrations created by the motion of the loudspeaker enclosure. Hard-coupling speakers (using spikes) to a suspended wood floor, however, can, in some cases cause problems. The floor can act as a kind of "sounding-board," set into resonance by the vibrations of the speaker. Some listeners find decoupling the speakers from the floor improves performance under these conditions. For many, Stillpoints offer the best of both worlds, providing the advantages of hard coupling (spikes) with decoupling to reduce vibration transmission.

I am curious on what you got out of it? Not to put you on the spot. Just hopefully a lead into a good conversation.

John

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/27/23 at 16:45:25

Once the Timber Nation rack arrives you will forget about the BBA rack option Cool

In the mean time you can dive into the footer rabbit hole! Woooo!

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/28/23 at 03:01:14

John,

They do mention that the concrete floor acts as a sink, no? Also in the article:

Coupling devices tightly marry the component to the shelf. They include cones, spikes, and the like.  Spikes and cones, by decreasing the contact area with the support, (theoretically) act as a mechanical diode - allowing vibration to travel away from the component while limiting the return path. New materials now available (composite, ceramic, carbon fiber) seem to have improved cone performance over metal cones of the past.

That said, I’m in your debt by continuing to raise this assumption of drainage since I continue to research this topic and today found something that rocked my world:

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/speaker-spike-misconceptions/

It’s written by Norman Varney who has a great pedigree as an acoustician and his company’s isolation product “EVP” is very highly regarded. I listened to his tech talk on the New Record Day YouTube channel a couple months ago and had filed it away for future use. I’ve seen their products being praised and put in the same excellent category as Townshend.

I’ve written to Norman. Let’s see if he responds…

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 02/28/23 at 10:25:24

A sentence from the paragraph I referenced:

Here, the great mass of the concrete slab serves as an effective "sink" for the vibrations created by the motion of the loudspeaker enclosure.

That sentence above as a whole makes no sense. While the concrete slab does serve as a ridged platform to a speaker pinned to it by eliminating "vibrations created by the motion of the loudspeaker enclosure", it serves no notable purpose of sinking(absorbing) vibrations.

The more I read that article you referenced Kamran, the thought came to mind of what is this writer selling. Then the $800 isolators or whatever that site sells came into focus when I browsed over the menu of the article's site.

That is a very good practical paper you linked!

Keepadiggin Wink

John

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 02/28/23 at 11:50:01

My brother has 2 products from AV Room Service. EVP Platforms for his speakers and CVP (Cable Vibration Protectors) They do seem to work well.

My room is on a concrete slab, no idea how thick. Glued synthetic flooring. When I put Wave Kinetic footers under my speakers the sound took a big step in a positive direction. The mid range and highs became much more focused and hang in the air more naturally. More bass texture. I also notice a lot less vibration through the ground sensed via my feet.

There are train tracks 1.5 miles from my home. I can feel the train though the dirt.

Something that I've always found fascinating and unnerving at times is how much structures vibrate and move. Specifically tall buildings and bridges. Bridges when walking or in a stopped car you can feel the bridge bouncing. Tall buildings sway a lot! I think I would go crazy if I lived in a high rise.

Everything is constantly vibrating. Unwanted vibrations show up as distortion in audio systems. Ever flick a cable from your TT to phono stage? you can hear it. Isolating cables from the ground, rack or any other surface does add up to less distortion.

The wires in our homes are vibrating. That vibration can be transferred though the power cables into our components. Adding isolation to power conditioners, LPS and external power supplies does make an audible difference.

Electricity vibrates as it goes though our components. The component self vibration can pass via cables to other components.

Attenuating unwanted vibrations is a worthy pursuit.

How crazy do you want to get is up to you.

Low hanging fruit in my experience is a ridged rack and isolation for speakers and components.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 02/28/23 at 13:01:14

GS you reminded of an event that happed not long ago.

A couple of years ago we were loading our sag vehicle in Kanas City in the hotel’s parking lot. The lot had some solid concrete knee walls skirting the lot. It kind of reminded me of a parking garage. As we were loading, I noticed the concrete slab under my feet flexing as though a heavy vehicle was moving on another portion of the garage? I knew damn well we were on a single concrete slab earth bed lot! I asked the others if they felt it and just got a negative response. I also was fatigued after our bike ride across Missouri so just shrugged it off as a contributor to tiredness. On the ride home there was a report on the radio news of a minor earthquake in the Kansas City area that morning.

Ha!

John

IP Logged
Dogma
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 02/28/23 at 18:32:33

The spikes on the Timbernation rack will couple it to the floor, which also vibrates.Since it's concrete it won't "sing along" and color the music as noticeably as a suspended wood floor. I've isolated all of my tube gear on individual platforms since back in the 90s.It's not really possible to totally eliminate vibrations, but it's possible to tune them to your liking. I've experimented with spikes,roller balls,ceramic, sorbathane,air platforms, etc.I don't believe they are sold any longer but my preference is sand platforms. They're easy to make though. Once I filled four 3" tall storage jars with sand and used them as feet which did a great job, but looked ridiculous.
Anyways, IMHO you made an excellent choice and you can always fine tune later on.Can't remember where I read it,but there was an article about the different types of wooden floors in concert halls and how the bass instruments that couple to the floor all tune together using the resonance of the particular floor. Interesting stuff.

IP Logged
bramar
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 03/01/23 at 01:20:43

My HR-1’s just sit on top of 3/4” carpet over rubberized waffle padding on top of concrete. According to Bob Zeigler, nothing additional needed.

Brad

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 03/01/23 at 01:39:15

Thanks Dogma. I really appreciate your vote of confidence.  

Norman did reply but he also has an angle to sell his EVPs, so there is that.
See his response below:

“I hope my answer will make it very easy for you to select a rack. As you now know, coupling is an effective conduit for vibrations, and is a two-way street. Couplers are not “mechanical diodes”. In addition, concentrating the load to a fine point will, in general, make the transfer even more efficient.

EVPs don’t care what is above or below them- 95% of the vibrations that enter their core is converted to heat. You could have an Ikea rack or some crazy expensive rack, and with EVPs, your equipment will perform exactly the same.

The best solution is to decouple each component from its resting platform. The most cost-effective would be to isolate the entire rack. These would likely need to be custom EVPs, which we do all the time. Let me know if you need more details.

Well, I was already planning to isolate each component on the shelf anyways so that takes care of that.  If I really wanted to isolate the rack, I could also look in to the following:

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/loudspeaker-rack-decoupling-and-isolatio...
n/products/cone-spike-decoupling-glider?variant=12645103403063

They have excellent reviews and for my rack and thick carpet, would probably need the giant over the standard.  Turns out, they are even recommended by Jim Smith, who penned the following interesting piece:

https://www.psaudio.com/copper/article/spiking-your-speakers-whats-the-point/

The learning continues…

Thx Brad.  My Open Baffles are also resting directly on the carpet and pad.  That said, I would like to experiment with either partially or fully decoupling them in the future.

IP Logged
bramar
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 03/01/23 at 02:04:29

Kamran, you started a very interesting thread!

I’m also wondering about further decoupling my speakers. I’m sitting back and watching….

All my components are on top of ceramic balls keyed inside aluminum surrounds with a circular rubber gasket on top, very much like what will posted.

Your rack choices look very fine!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 03/01/23 at 02:53:33

I used to use the same Ingress Engineering bearing supports that Will did/does, then moved to VooDoo Cable Iso-Pods for an improvement, then moved to Iso-Acoustics speaker stands.

The stands completely changed the sound of the speakers and I had to tune and tweak but as a result I got better sound staging than I had before, especially in depth. (My room setup doesn't really favor soundstage by necessity, so the improvement is welcome).

My components are on a Samson Ver. 3 rack from Mapleshade, and on PS Audio PowerBasses and with VooDoo Cable Iso-Pods on top of the Powerbases--lots of isolation. Three also have 4" maple platforms under the PowerBases. It's been a fun adventure tuning the system this way.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
bramar
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 03/01/23 at 03:42:32

Yeah I remember having iso acoustics speakers stands under my dreaded omega single driver towers….I later sold them due to their ugliness. They really didn’t do much difference so out the door they went due to the bad looks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 03/01/23 at 10:54:01

Well, we're all different. The way I have them set up they are hardly visible under the HR-1, and after speaker placement and system tuning the sound is best yet, so they stay. To my ears and in my system I definitely can say I hear the difference they make. I use them at the lowest setting and in this direction.

In my really large space downstairs wtth the audio/video system I have Herbie's Audio Lab IsoCups with moss green balls under the HR-1. They work very well with four each under each speaker.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 03/02/23 at 20:53:08

Both of those equipment stands look amazing, Kamran. I have never had a budget line capable of doing more than window shopping such quality.
Well, at least not since we had kids.

I don't want to bring this thread down to a redneck cowboy level too much, but I still have a rack that I built in the late '80s when everyone was using threaded rod for corners and fancy wood for bases and shelves.

Instead of the skinny stuff most used, I went for one inch diameter Allthread corner rods, nuts, washers and inch and a half thick Corian shelves, thinking that the additional mass would help to "isolate" the equipment from any vibration my (then) massive speakers created.
I also placed the bottom of the corner rods on the same thick rubber, vibration reduction feet you can get for controling the noise from a washing machine, de-coupling, in theory.

I have also experimented with many "affordable" vibration reduction and de-coupling products for sources and amps, but not really much for speaker to floor coupling.
I have often felt that if I build a solid heavy enough speaker system it will automatically couple with the floor. I know of many holes in that thinking, so I am here to learn more, as always.

Only time I ever tried spikes was when I had La Scalas going and it seemed to diminish what little bass they were capable of producing, so I removed the spikes in favor of more big rubber feet, going back to de-coupling somewhat. And that improved the sound with those speakers.

Right now my speakers sit on a pad of that Amazon waffle rug that Steve suggested last year, so, somewhat de-coupled. I suppose?
They do sound better with the rugs that without!
I plan on grabbing a few more soon to use with my dipole subwoofer systems.
I still use the huge rubber washing machine feet for my equipment rack.

I would love to see more study links shared from this community about coupling and de-coupling methods.
It is awesome to hear from folks sharing what they are using including some insight as to the strategies employed.

Great thread, sir!

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 03/10/23 at 10:42:57

I just ordered these to place in my decoupling tool kit:

uxcell Silicone Rubber O-Ring Assortment Kit 225 Pieces 15 Sizes Metric VMQ Sealing Gasket Set, Red https://a.co/d/0jWfwzO

These o-rings are made of silicone rubber and have a shore hardness of 50a as compared to nitrile's 70a.

John Smiley

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 03/11/23 at 02:38:02

So…(I blame John for this)—I’ve decided not to go ahead with the Timbernation rack. As I continued to dig deeper into vibration control, I lost confidence in the per shelf spikes model.  To borrow a term from John, it would actually act as a giant antenna for vibration vs the other way around. Norman from AVP Room Service agreed with that analogy and thought it was a pretty craftive way to explain it.

So now what?

I’m going back to my original choice of the Butcher Block Acoustics rack, which turns out, actually works out pretty well once I decided to place the center channel on top and the source and amps on the middle and bottom shelfs respectively. Eventually (taking inspiration from GroovySauce’s setup), I’m going to bring the amp out on the floor on its own platform. The epiphany was that my 31” wide channel, would actually fit perfectly on BBA’s 30 inch rack given each of the posts ads 1.5” for a total end to end width of 33”—this is ideal as I wanted to keep the width to a minimum.

I plan to order next week and also in touch with Norman to try out his EVPs.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 03/16/23 at 13:36:10

Ouch! I did like the first stand you ordered and GroovySauce's idea of using the shelfs as a foundation pinned to concrete. Maybe, if one shelf could be ordered and used for that purpose. Just some random thoughts.

I tried the silicone o-rings in place of the nitrile as a decoupler on the speakers. Lasted only on a couple vinyl LP plays. Vocals became a bit sibilent and smeared. Cymbals lost detail. The silicone ones will work better on lighter items.

John

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 03/16/23 at 14:29:33

I think it actually worked out for the best in the end.  The Timbernation rack was too wide of a platform to use independently and I still needed something to prop up the center channel.  Rack should be here next week.  

Based on BBA’s recommendation (as we had a long discussion on vibration control) I also just ordered Herbie’s Threaded Stud Gliders to properly decouple the BBA rack and also got a BBA platform with their new ISO bands for my streamer.  

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/loudspeaker-rack-decoupling-and-isolatio...
n/products/threaded-stud-glider?variant=12651505745975

These were also highly recommended by Jim Smith, Author of Get Better Sound

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 03/26/23 at 05:23:21

Too tired to type but I will leave you with this:

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 03/26/23 at 11:03:17

Just the thought of rack replacement can create procrastination. It easily can turn into a whole day of hard work. Looks like it paid off.

Everything fits nicely!

Cheers!

John

IP Logged
Craig B
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 03/27/23 at 20:18:35

Hi all. Talk about timely…I am having some harmonics issue in my system and am working on tracking it down. My current favourite is a bad tube in my pre amplifier. I am in line, in a couple of months, for a Sarah 300b. So
I have been working hard to get some other things in place in my system See the T6 chat. I added the ZFOCUS speaker cables to my T6 and there was a noticeable improvement in my system in my room. More transparent, better across the range. I have a sub woofer in my system, a Rel T5i, and I can feel the vibrations lightly through the floor so I thought I would try some isoACOUSTICS Gaia Titan speaker feet isolators. Also a noticeable improvement. The combination of both has made, to me, a big difference. Life is about finding a solution that works and I wanted to have the Sarah and my turntable (my dads) on round table that I chose from my parents house. Unfortunately it looks great but lacks real weight and heft. The isoACOUSTIC feet have been so good I am considering some of their other feet that you put under Amps turntables etc to help create better isolation. Reading the thread in this is topic it’s complex and it appears about finding a solution that works for you in your room. Fingers crossed.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 03/27/23 at 21:21:38

Kamran, Looking good! Sizing seems perfect! Looking forward to your impressions.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 03/28/23 at 00:10:59

Thanks Nigel!  It indeed was such a perfect fit that I didn’t even have to move the subs out.  Probably saved $1000 by going with BBA vs. Timbernation and I am very happy with the way it looks.  And those 1.5” maple blocks are heavy.  My back was aching after the installation and the body still feels like when you workout intensely after not going to the gym for a long time.

Based on BBA’s recommendation (when he learned how anal I was about decoupling) I bought Herbies’ Giant Giant Stud Gliders to decouple the entire rack from the floor.

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/products/threaded-stud-glider

Very positively reviewed and highly recommended by Jim Smith, so I was like what the heck.  They were easily threaded in to the M6 Brass threads of the Walnut legs of the BBA rack.  And they effortless glided, allowing me to place such a heavy rack in the middle without any problem.

I also got a walnut platform from BBA for my streamer with ISO-Bands further isolating the streamer from the rack.

So the set up was done by midnight Saturday, warmed up the tubes for 2 hrs and had a 3 hr listening session from 2 to 5 am (my significant other was at her moms). I honestly was not expecting a difference but I was profoundly awed by the increased clarity and details, more satisfying leading edges (Drums and piano sounded so so good), a subtle increase in soundstage and dimensionality, and finally, an increased sense of note decay—I didn’t move for those 3 hours.

Now, if you told me that I was just delirious after a late night listening session, I would have believed you too.

So I completed another 1 hr session last night (respectable hours this time) and the difference is unmistakeable. Vibration control is a real thing.  

I am glad I got these 4 hours to isolate (no pun intended) the impact of decoupling as I am introducing new items to the rig today and the next couple of days.  Stay tuned….

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 03/30/23 at 01:51:37

Quote:
Just the thought of rack replacement can create procrastination. It easily can turn into a whole day of hard work. Looks like it paid off.

Everything fits nicely!

Much obliged to to you John for pointing me in the right direction w.r.t. decoupling!  Very happy with the result.  Lunch on me next time we meet at Decfest!  8-)

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 03/30/23 at 13:39:21

Kamran, So happy it brought you such a good step up in enjoyment!

You're waiting on the AVRS isolation footers correct? I've found that isolation is sort of linear improvement until you get everything isolated, then it takes a big jump.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 03/30/23 at 14:37:29

Yes, I’ve had multiple exchanges with Norman from AV Room Service, and know exactly which EVP’s to get for each piece of gear, but I haven’t pulled the trigger just yet.  I might do it one gear at a time to spread the cost.  Currently, I have the streamer on a BBA’s 1.5’ platform with Iso bands, and Innuous reportedly makes their feet to compensate for vibrations so I am going to leave that be for now and attack the Spring 3 KTE to begin with—which is on top of a Isoacoustics Zazen II platform.

Currently distracted playing with power again. Should have more to share in a couple of days.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 03/30/23 at 21:19:51

I have some of the older AVRS versions that look like the simpler feet now, the higher density two inch ones, four for under the Torii to start. I thought they were impressive sounding feet. But at that time, I apparently ended up liking others better. I am thinking I recall they were quite neutral, extended, and resolving, but perhaps just a little over damped or perhaps a little dark for the sound I wanted at the time? Sorry I don't recall exactly why, I just know the AVRS feet did not stay under my main components after a while back then, and now 3 are used under my little 3000 Micro sub.

My Torii now has 3 Synergistic Research MIG 3s, the Gustard X20Pro DAC, 3 older SR MIGs... For the CSP3, I am using one of Archie's specifically chosen springs sandwiched between MDF platform pieces, with some careful additional damping tuning adjustments I made.... Mad Scientist cast feet with steel and ceramic ball tops under the Tranquility NOS DAC... some of those Chinese made aluminum feet with three balls between aluminum pieces (the ones that look more like VooDoo isopods), with some ceramic and some steel balls along with having tuned the damping materials of the feet for under the PSAudio P5... A few other variations of the smaller diameter Chinese made aluminum feet with balls and damping to tastes under my Singxer SU-1, ZRock2+, and ZBIT. Under the 2012 Mac Mini are a Soundcoat pad glued to the computer bottom, the size of its removable base, and 3 Herbie's old school Iso-Cups tuned with balls I preferred.

Between shelves and supports I use a combination of mostly air the shelves not touching the side supports and minimal "feet" of small cut pieces of Herbies' thicker Grungbuster pads glued to cut pieces of Soundcoat damping material. I did not like either of these much alone, but together thought they were pretty real.

Not to say this is the way to go, but I find I like having a number of sort of decent choices to occasionally mix and match for sound improvements since everything effects the sound differently, and as a system changes, playing with moving feet around can be revelatory. Right now none of these are sticking out as problems, the system sounding really good in vibration management and all else. And having different sonic characters of relatively neutral and transparent foot solutions for fine tuning components, is pretty nice to me. But I am also one who prefers a variety of good sounding power cables for the same reasons over having a "loom," where some others seem to like "looms." Like cables, feet can add up pretty fast, and I need a lot of cables and feet in my system, so always a work in progress. But all considered, I am pretty happy with this selection for now!

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 03/31/23 at 02:43:16

Lots of good info here. This thread led me to re-evaluate/tinker with things. I'm generally happy with my current setup, but I also like to experiment with things.

First thing I did after reading some of the links above was trying hockey pucks under my speaker footers. I had them on hand so why not, at the minimum it's a data point. I got a very nice response from mids on down. This also led to some toe in adjustments that improved staging. For now, they work out, but I'm sure there are better solutions out there. I was/am considering the Herbie's Giant Gliders. Then Lon posted about the new footers he is using which incorporate ball bearings. Well now, I'm not familiar with using ball bearings, so I put a batting helmet on and did some googling. I found this interesting:

https://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm

Things went from speakers to components pretty quick! I have 10 ball bearings to be delivered tomorrow. No inner tubes though, I'm not too sold on that idea yet. Vertical shelf space is somewhat limited. I built a three shelf rack a couple years ago. I used 50+yr old oak tongue n groove flooring. It sat in the attic from when they built the house and was never used. I cut the tongue and grooves off, planed, jointed, glued, clamped them into butcher block style shelves. I used 1/2" threaded rods to hold it all together, in hindsight a larger rod may have been a better idea. The rack sits on top of a bricked fireplace hearth. The whole thing weighs a metric crap ton and I thought I was the cat's ass when it was done. Big, heavy, good. So I'm going to play around with the ball bearings under the SE84UFO and ZP3. The wife and kids are going away for the weekend so I'll have time/space to goof around.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 03/31/23 at 10:08:31

Your welcome Kamran. Good to hear it worked out in a positive manner.

I'll be easy on you Wink

Cheers!

John

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 04/01/23 at 19:47:02

Received 10 ball bearings yesterday. That was the easy part. I assumed I could get some cups for them at orange store. Nope. Came home and hit the garage. Found four old square furniture floor protectors that had a concave spot in the middle. The bearing sits in there, but not real well. Tested these out and honestly didn't hear much difference. Back to the garage, the handle on my vise has a removable 1" ball on the end of the handle. What if I use that ball and press a dimple into something? Pine works, 1/4" plywood or luan works as well. Oak, walnut, cherry, maple was a no go. I replaced the plastic floor things with some 1/4" plywood. The ball takes a few seconds to roll back n forth then settles real nice. As shoddy as this is, it made a marked improvement on "sound of the room" of the recording. For example, on Sara B's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road I now hear more of the room she was in detail.

Meanwhile, yesterday I ran into an article claiming Mapleshades pads were nothing more than air conditioning unit pads. I have no opinion on that. However at 55 cents each, why not. The site claimed order by 5pm and you'll receive on Monday. UPS dropped them off at noon today. Karma wise, I bet they suck because they arrived so fast.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-MP-2C-Rubber-Cork-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x...

Waiting for the thunderstorms and hail to move out before powering things up.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 04/02/23 at 09:30:02

I'm using these from Amazon under my subwoofers.  The bass became a lot tighter.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 04/02/23 at 12:57:50

I use a combination of Moongel Damper Pads and felt furniture protectors under my components https://www.amazon.com/Moongel-Damper-Pads/dp/B003SPUIAG/ref=sr_1_2?crid=DEG96YF...,
and Primacoustic Recoil Stabilizer Speaker Isolators. The combination sounds amazing.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #46 - 04/02/23 at 16:06:26

Dana,
I too am using a similar product under my power amp. I do this because the amp has to rest on top of my sub! Yikes. Fortunately, I do not always use the sub. Anyway, these are pretty cool when you consider that the spring not only moves in the vertical plane, but to a lesser degree in the horizontal plane as well.
I use the Hudson Hi-Fi silicone feet under most other equipment.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #47 - 04/02/23 at 16:09:44

Ghostship,

I very much like the idea of those damper pads. Do they have a weight range? Look to be a sort of gel pad. I may use them in the future.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 04/02/23 at 20:14:53

i bought a box of 100 and put them under everything.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-VPE-200-E-V-A-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8...

A little more info on the subject
https://youtu.be/UYMbi7v2pNU

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 04/02/23 at 21:00:56

I'm sold on the isolation pads from Supplyhouse, my only regret is not ordering the box of 100 like Dana. I'm likely going to get some more.

They cut real nice on a bandsaw, I think a utility knife would work as well. I cut two pads into 1" squares and put three each under a pair of Boston Acoustic subsat 6 speakers I use at my desk. The change is remarkable, crisper and less fatiguing. These speakers are not the greatest and I've been keeping an eye open for an upgrade, I think the pads gave them new life.

In the listening room I put four under each speaker. The hockey pucks are back in the garage. At first I thought the bass got a bit flabby real low. After an hour of listening they won't be going anywhere. I do plan to take the 'footers' off the speakers and set them directly on the pad. The speakers are 54" tall and somewhere around 90lbs. With the footers on they wobble a bit on the pads, I'm hoping they wobble less directly on the pads.

I also took the ball bearings out from under the SE84UFO and put four pads under it. The only measurable difference is the amp is physically more stable than riding on the bearings. I feel safer without it on bearings, especially with kids around. Hmmm, I wonder if I duct tape a few of these to my son if it will isolate his "vibrations"...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print