Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 03:26:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why Not Any More T-line Speakers? (Read 872 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

Why Not Any More T-line Speakers?
02/14/23 at 22:41:57

Having been in audio sales from way back, and after hearing several models of IMF and Fried speakers with transmission line bass loading, I can't understand why modern-day speaker designers don't employ this type of bass loading in their newly designed speakers. Hands down, it was the best, most realistic, and almost bottomless bass presentation that I ever heard; and yet, since IMF, TDL, and then Fried nothing has ever come out to match it. Just wondering... ???

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Why Not Any More T-line Speakers?
Reply #1 - 02/15/23 at 02:04:58

Just read a review on an expensive T line speaker in Stereophile. There is a lot that I missed about T lines and never built one for myself. Anyway, I just know that the model was named Adam. Funny as it might sound, they thought the bass was too much. Not bloated, not distorted or any of that, just too much. The manufacturer suggested putting them up about 7" from the floor, but of course that creates new problems. Personally, I would really like such a speaker, and coincidently I presently have a speaker, that although not a t line, gets great bass. Finally, the right bass for me. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if I were to build such animal in the future. Read the Stereophile review. You will like it.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/15/23 at 18:53:54

Not sure if my Soliloquy 5.3’s are, technically, TL’s, but many refer to them as TL’s.  Their predominant characteristic is very powerful low bass, which gets boomy and overwhelming on most recordings.  How a couple of 5 inch mid bass drivers can do this is beyond me!  We have them on our family room AV system where they can play very loud, but the huge bass drives me crazy!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 02/15/23 at 19:28:19

Doug,

Funny you should mention that. While using the DNA2 cabinets with Scan Speak drivers, I am almost in the same ballpark as you. Thing is, I felt cheated in the bass department for a long time, and so at first the SS were incredible sounding. They have everything that I want, but maybe just too much of it. Of course, I could cross them over at about 80hz and go to a sub, and that may be a better way for me. Running them full range without a sub gives me less control that is for sure.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print