03/28/24 at 10:54:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube Tot Demo question (Read 881 times)
MikeInGA
Verified Member

Tube Tot Demo question
02/12/23 at 21:39:04

I apologize if this is stupid or already been asked.

What are the inductors on the binding posts doing for the speakers?  Are they needed if not bi-amped? Is it recommended?

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Re: Tube Tot Demo question
Reply #1 - 02/13/23 at 12:15:00

If I understand the write up there's an inductor on the lower speaker only used to roll off the highs starting around 5k. That seems a proper choice given the centers of the speakers are far enough apart to cause phase cancellation along the vertical axis in and above that frequency.

IP Logged
MikeInGA
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/13/23 at 13:33:00

Thank you.  I found the discussion after you answered.  Thanks again.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 02/14/23 at 01:19:48

At the time those pictures were taken with the external inductor on the binding posts, we were considering setting it up that way.  The reason is because the speaker images different if the inductor is on the negative vs. the positive post and if it's doing the top or the bottom driver.  Kind of like tube rolling... something to drive everyone crazy.  

I decided to just pick the best way and permanently wire it that way internally.  So the inductor is wired internally to the lower driver in all Tube Tots.  It just makes live a lot simpler for the speaker owner.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
MikeInGA
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 02/14/23 at 01:50:21

Thank you.  After finding the thread with the discussion, that was what I was thinking but was going to ask.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print