Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 21:22:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Where to get tape machines (Read 917 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Where to get tape machines
02/09/23 at 19:55:51

This topic has been covered before and it comes down to buying a used machine off eBay or having something fully restored by a qualified tape machine repair company.

If you are going to be playing master tapes my recommendation is purchase a machine and have it fully refurbished and calibrated before you ever see it.

This is a shop in New York that sells fully restored machines that I have purchased from and they can ship it to you.

https://www.funktionaltech.com/other-services

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: Where to get tape machines
Reply #1 - 02/10/23 at 08:41:21

Sage advice for sure.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
DrewDays

Reply #2 - 03/06/23 at 20:46:58

Thanks for sharing, Steve.

I'm hoping to buy a tape machine soon.

Do you know of anyone who can add RCA jacks to the playback head like yours? I did a quick search but couldn't find much info on the mod.

I'm chasing the feeling you had at the end of this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHvdt8EgEt8&list=FLji1cBfA2yu35roYdVB4lKA&index=...

Cheers,
Andrew

VPI Prime, Ortofon Bronze/Black, ZP3, ZROCK2, Rachael (SE34I.5), Caintuck Audio Lii F-15 Open Baffles
  IP Logged
DrewDays

Reply #3 - 03/06/23 at 21:49:10

As I was, looks like the site you offered up actually performs the mod.

This is the response I got from Andrew at funktionaltech, "Yes we have done many Head Output mods for external preamplifiers."

Easier than I thought. Now, to decide on a tape machine...

VPI Prime, Ortofon Bronze/Black, ZP3, ZROCK2, Rachael (SE34I.5), Caintuck Audio Lii F-15 Open Baffles
  IP Logged
hmss007
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 08/02/23 at 17:11:12

I purchased my Reel-to-Reel (Akai GX-4000D) from Big Matt. Found him on YouTube and reached out to him via email. Had some great conversations with him and he does all the restorations, etc. Highly recommend him.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print