Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 00:46:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Installing New Cartridge First Time (Read 3108 times)
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Installing New Cartridge First Time
02/09/23 at 18:01:35

So tomorrow I'm installing a new Audio Technica OC9XML cartridge in my modified Rega RB300 tonearm. First time doing a cartridge installation. Have all the right tools and hopeful for a good outcome.

I'll be taking it slow and testing with a low priced cartridge first.😉

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Re: Installing New Cartridge First Time
Reply #1 - 02/09/23 at 18:56:48

Patience, steady hands and a magnifying glass are key. I’ve got two OC9III, they are finicky to set up in my experience, but once in the sweet spot it sounds great. Good luck!

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 02/10/23 at 01:42:37

If you have not done this before it's ok, you will get it done. As I recall, I connected the cartridge leads first, and in my case I was able to remove the stylus from the assembly. The tiny screws can drive you mad unless you just get lucky and they do as they are told. Ha! The alignment of the cartridge and stylus wasn't too bad as long as I had a good magnifying headset. There are a lot of steps including the tonearm set up itself, but none of them in particular are too difficult. Keep us in the loop.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #3 - 02/10/23 at 03:29:17

Sean said:

"Patience, steady hands and a magnifying glass are key."

I bought one of those adjustable visors that came with 4 different lenses and a light. It is the greatest thing in the world for anything related to the turntable. I re-wired a tonearm a few years ago, and I couldn't have done it without it.

Now I use it regularly when I check tracking force. I have a small bulls eye on my scale, and my old eyes have a hard time seeing it clearly.

Decware UFO2 / Rega P6 with Ania cartridge / Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE II phono pre-amp / All Kimber cabling / Klipsch Heresy IV
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/10/23 at 09:58:47

Danny Boy,

I did get an LED headlamp w/ magnifying visor, have precision screw drivers & torque tools, a Dr. Feikert alignment tool, etc. All set for the game, just need some patience 😁.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #5 - 02/10/23 at 13:48:52

Good morning, HK.

Once you get it aligned the way you want it, and get the tracking force set, you should look at the headshell/cart, and make sure it is close to level. Once you do that, you should listen, and adjust vertically up or down, by what you think sounds best.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/10/23 at 14:40:02

Geno,

Thanks for the tip. The Rega RB300 arm has a fixed headshell. It's a one piece proposition. So I just need to make sure the cartridge is seated properly with top screws and washers tightened equally.

HK

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #7 - 02/10/23 at 14:55:33

My TT is linear tracking so it has never been an issue for me, but in theory you may also need to adjust the anti-skate if  you have it.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #8 - 02/10/23 at 15:52:41

Quote:
The Rega RB300 arm has a fixed headshell.

So, there is no adjustment at the base of the tonearm? One of the things I love about the SL-1200 is the ability to adjust the whole tonearm up and down.

Quote:
you may also need to adjust the anti-skate if you have it

The anti-skate should, generally, match the tracking force.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/10/23 at 15:52:47

Yup, will do when I get the vertical tracking angle dialed in.

HK

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #10 - 02/10/23 at 16:51:10

See how much fun you're having, and it hasn't even started! But really, it is all worth it just to hear the sound when it is all done.
The only thing (or two) left in my adjustment is the reassurance that the azimuth of the cartridge is correct. Mostly it is set by eye, and maybe the Fozgometer II would be an asset for me. At $400 though, it would be better served as a group buy,,, hint hint. The other thing that goes round and round besides the record is wondering if there is a way to exactly set the anti-skating. You will find an overabundance of views about this.

Still when you get it in the ballpark or better there is no sound like vinyl to me.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/10/23 at 17:47:56

Yup. After cartridge alignment setting the tracking force and vertical tracking angle (tonearm height) is critical. I usually start w/ the cart manufacturer recommended weight and spin vinyl for 10-20 hours, until the cantilever settles in. Then I tweak the vertical tracking angle by ear on some reference albums. It's amazing when you nail it - treble and bass balanced and soundstage explodes (in a good way).

HK

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #12 - 02/10/23 at 19:08:08

HK,

I think that you are way ahead of me, and yes, at some point in time, I got it right. Never forgot the sound either. Now days I am not using what sounds to be the best cartridge that I have ever owned, an AT95SA. It has most of what I want but not all. Only the Dynavector 10X5 from many years achieved that. Truthfully, I don't feel like this cartridge is completely set "at max" meaning, I know that this type of stylus is picky about SRA. Rats.

IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/10/23 at 21:57:17

HK

I've installed a couple cartridges on the same Rega tonearm. I ended investing in a Dr Feickert alignment tool. A bit pricey, but in the long run, worth the investment.

Good luck!

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/10/23 at 22:52:49

Tal,

Yeah, I checked in with a couple friends who do professional turntable set ups. They all said get the Dr. Feickert alignment tool. It will pay for itself over time.

HK

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #15 - 02/11/23 at 14:03:44

Roger,

Good luck!  While I am not ready just yet to change out my cartridge, it’s been a daunting task that’s on my mind.  I only know one place out by me that’s reputable, but I’d rather take on the task myself.

Please keep us posted on your progress, and when it’s all done….I’d love to hear your experience and any areas where you encountered ( if any) snags.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/11/23 at 14:43:01

Install was delayed until this morning. I pulled my Dynavector 20XL2 LO cartridge carefully off the headshell using some fly fishing forceps. Set up the Dr. Feickert alignment tool using a standard Rega arm protractor length to get the overhang right and installed an AT VM-95E practice cartridge. I used the Stevenson geometry, per recommendations online for Rega arms.

Took about 15 minutes of twiddling with the set screws to get the cartridge properly aligned. After reattaching the cartridge clips (wrote down the position before taking off the Dyna cartridge). Because the AT cartridge was significantly lighter than the Dyna, I had to move my tonearm counterweight forward and readjust to zero. Then set the tracking force to 2.0g. Then set my Modwroght PH 9.0X phono preamp to the MM setting.

Well don't know if I just lucked out but everything sounds great after powering everything back up. One little note, the AT cartridge pins are a bit wider than the Dyna, so I used a toothpick to widen them slightly. A little trick that I picked up online. The whole set up took a little over one hour.

I'm letting the cartridge settle in for a couple hours of listening. Started out with John Hiatt Bring The Family.

HK

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 02/11/23 at 18:21:20

The AT OC9XML cartridge is installed, aligned, and now playing music. Should take about 30 hours of playing time to strut it's stuff. Sounds very good now with MC impedance load of 100 ohms.

HK

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #18 - 02/11/23 at 19:13:34

It is good to hear that things went well for you.

I listened to my TT set up last night and realized that recordings make a big difference and in the case of Pink Floyds 'Meddle' the system sounded just fine.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 02/11/23 at 22:28:59

Good job! Please give some thoughts on the OC9XML once it settles in. I really like my OC9III and once it wears out I haven't thought about what I’ll replace it with.

Here’s my experience with cartridge setup and Decware amps. The setup has to be very precise or you’ll drive yourself mad wondering which cable, tube, etc is amiss. Before I got my SE84C-EX I was using a Jolida 1102. Everything seemed overall ok with that setup. I put the new amp in the chain and after a couple days I started doubting all the good words about Decware. Bass was a mess. Balance was a mess. One recording would sound ok and then the next was horrid. The sound just didn’t seem to match my expectations. Perhaps the amp wasn't really able to drive my speakers. I had an audiophile friend come by for an afternoon. He’s had a ton more experience with setup and has a great ear for things out of place. He suggested to slow down and start with the alignment and work out from there, if the alignment is wrong then everything is wrong after that. For the next few days I played with different protractors and a GeoDisc. Once I thought it was spot on, I went on to adjusting tracking force, VTA and AS. Slowly imaging was coming into focus, nice bass, and more consistency between different vinyl. It really took some time but I got it there. How was it wrong for so long!!! Anyhow, it got so good I had to find a UFO and ZP3. I now understand when Steve says, it’s not the amp but something else in the chain - paraphrasing his comment, I forget where I saw it. A bold statement, but one I found to ring true.

My opinion about the GeoDisc. I have had better luck with printed protractors. Perhaps it works on a table where you can precisely line up the “pivot point” on the tonearm. On my table that point was really a guess, guessing angles is bad juju. It just didn’t work out for me. I don’t have a Feickert, but it is on my list for someday.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 02/12/23 at 13:17:29

This morning continuing cartridge break in:

88 Basin Street (Pablo Records)
Milt Jackson + Count Basie + Big Band (Pablo Records)
Famers Market BBQ (Analogue Productions test pressing)
Soular Energy (Pure Audiophile) - great recording BTW

HK

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #21 - 02/12/23 at 15:49:24

HK,

Glad you got things set up to your liking.

Great choices on the music selections. 88 Basie Street is a favorite on vinyl. The Pablo recordings can be pretty incredible.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 02/12/23 at 17:33:53

Glad you got it dialed in! In the past I've spent weeks going crazy trying to get it dialed in. There is something so satisfying once the cartridge has some time on it and final adjustments have been made.

If you don't have one now is the perfect time to buy a stylus timer. I just picked one up and it's great! no more guessing on cartridge time, $20 well spent.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 02/12/23 at 17:56:34

Final adjustments in about one week. Cartridge sounds really nice now. Boron cantilever w/ microlinear stylus - really digs out the details on a recording & reduces surface noise. Thanks for the tip on the stylus timer, GS.

HK

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print