Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 08:01:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RODI water for cleaning vinyl. (Read 11084 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

RODI water for cleaning vinyl.
02/09/23 at 17:42:36

Now that my vinyl rig is up and running in the new house… I pulled out my very limited collection and decided to clean them.  Since I don’t have an extensive collection, right  now I use the Spin Clean record washer.  Later on this year I’ll consider upgrading  to a nice vacuum system.

Anyway while using distilled water is nice…..using RODI is better in my opinion.  It’s basically water that is made by stripping it down of all contaminants using a Reverse Osmosis water system.  The water is then run through a separate Deionization media bed essentially making it deionized.   This water has a different feel to it..I would say almost slippery so to speak.  

You can buy this water at a local fish store that sells salt water fish.  But please go to a specialty store…a local pet store like a Petco won’t have it and if they say they do…they are probably lying to you.  But you must ask for “RODI” water…and not just “RO” water…there is a difference.  

The Backstory is that I was big into salt water fish for  a long time and used to make my own RODI water at home.  In my new house I decided not to set up the tank right now… But I still use my reverse osmosis water system to feed my refrigerator for drinking water.  I configured the system so when I want to make RODI water, I bypass my remineralizing cartridge for drinking water, and send the water through my dual DI Resin bed.  

The fish store should probably sell you the water at maybe the same cost s regular distilled water…maybe 1.5x  times the cost.   As I’m cleaning the record in the spin  clean… The water just literally rolls all the way down the grooves a lot quicker than regular distilled water.  Plus… I think with the water being deionized, it  could potentially help with static  properties of the album..But don’t quote me on that. I would say it’s worth giving it a try.

Happy listening!
Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Re: RODI water for cleaning vinyl.
Reply #1 - 02/09/23 at 18:48:26

Excellent tip, never thought of the fish store as a source. I get reverse osmosis deionized water at Whole Foods. Bring your own jugs, they do sell empty bottles but they are not cheap. The water itself isn’t expensive.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/09/23 at 19:38:24

If you have a university with a chemistry lab nearby they often have an RODI faucet.  My local university has always let me fill gallons for free.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 02/10/23 at 17:00:50

I guess that it goes hand in hand that the cleaner (more pure) the water, the cleaner the record. If we take it to this level, I suppose that it bears stating that the water containers, cleaning cloths (if that is part of the method), and all that is relevant to the process of cleaning is worth consideration.
I have long said that you can't clean a floor with a dirty mop.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Leonardo Warner
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 09/26/23 at 04:17:23

Excellent suggestion; I had never considered the fish market as a source. At Whole Foods, I purchase deionized reverse osmosis water. They do sell empty bottles, but they are not inexpensive, so bring your own jugs. The cost of the water itself is low.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print