03/28/24 at 12:13:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
UFO2 vs Rachael (Read 1119 times)
E045717
Verified Member

UFO2 vs Rachael
01/26/23 at 01:01:41

I have the UFO2. Is the Rachael better?  Similar? What would you get next in the Decware lineup?  

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: UFO2 vs Rachael
Reply #1 - 01/26/23 at 01:23:00

A UFO amp is really good, are you sure your best move is a new amp? How about upgrading your front end, or your cables or your room? If you're really itching for a new Decware amp I'd say the upgrade path would be a UFO25 or the Sarah 300B.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/26/23 at 14:37:38

I agree...it completely depends upon the current needs that you're trying to fill...what is missing?

Do you think you will enjoy the Push-Pull sound better than the Single Ended Triode?

Need more oomph/bass/weight?

Need more amps to drive your current speakers in your listening space?

Want more clarity/fidelity/soundstage/imaging etc?

Certainly, your answer may be adding a Push-Pull amp to your stable...but I believe you will experience amazing sonic improvements by upgrading the other things in your signal path. That includes:
power cables,
speaker cables,
interconnects,
networking,
streamer,
DAC,
speakers and attachments like decoupling devices,
subwoofer,
anti-vibration devices throughout,
room treatment, and even
a professional ear cleaning (seriously)...

For many of us, money is finite...one of the best benefits of this forum is learning from the experience of others, so that we don't waste our cash on things that don't make our systems sound better.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 01/26/23 at 15:38:51

Quote:
Posted by: Ghostship      Posted on: Today at 06:37:38

...Do you think you will enjoy the Push-Pull sound better than the Single Ended Triode?...

That's a good point about preferring PP to SET, but note that means a TORII or Mystery Amp, not a Rachael.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 01/26/23 at 18:25:13

I started with a Torii and then a year later also acquired a Zen amp.  While I do love and enjoy them both…  I can honestly say that I do prefer the sound of my fully modded SE84C+ Zen amp over the Torii.  Luckily my Err’s play loud enough in my space to accommodate either amp.  

Like another forum member indicated, I would reevaluate other areas that may be lagging.  I recently added a ZBIT and a ZROCK2 to my system.   The added gain of the ZBIT coming off my Dac was like giving my system a shot of adrenaline.  The ZROCK2 has truly helped to dial in the sound by opening up the bass/midrange.  Surprisingly I had to turn my Sub way down to where I think I may not even need it anymore. My point is that a new amp may not be needed.    

Dom.  

Edit:  My preference over the sound of my SE84C+ is based on the stock sound of both of my amps without tube rolling.  I’ve only rolled the rectifier and VR tubes in the Torii thus far.   I plan on rolling the output tubes with the KT77’s soon.  The tube set in my Zen amp is still stock since it’s fairly new to me, but now that I have a handle on the stock sound of the Zen amp, I will start tube rolling with that.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/26/23 at 18:48:33

Quote:
For many of us, money is finite...one of the best benefits of this forum is learning from the experience of others, so that we don't waste our cash on things that don't make our systems sound better.

Couldn't agree more!

Personally and FWIW, start from the wall receptacle.  If you don't have one get a good non current limiting filter whose receptacles are isolated from each other.  If you have to, wait and save up to get one.  If you get power cables or IC's make sure that they are well shielded.

I think that you will be pleasantly surprised at the difference these will make and if you buy well, they'll be a foundation for any changes you make afterwords.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print