04/20/24 at 04:01:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PURITAN PSM 156 (Read 2468 times)
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

PURITAN PSM 156
01/23/23 at 14:38:33

I thought I would respond to Karma's recent post and JBzen's response by starting a thread specific to the PURITAN PSM 156.  Please do not take this to mean that I am implying that the Puritan PSM 156 is the best power filter one can get.

What I will say is that the Puritan PSM 156 does its job with spectacular results and IMO is well worth it's price tag.

Kamran posted a link to a recent you tube video.  The participants felt that the PSM 156 is particularly effective when used with a DAC but not as effective when it supplies power to and amp and/or pre amp.  I could see that happening if the supplied Puritan mains cable is used from the receptacle to the PSM 156.

I could not use it as the mains cable to the PSM 156, it was way too long in my setting.  I used a short length of DHC1 cable as the mains to the PSM 156.  The supplied Puritan Classic cable I ran to my Lumin U2 Mini from the the PSM 156.  The difference even without any burn in was amazing and after some 25 hours rather hard to come to grips with.

I then wondered what would happen if I swapped cables.  So from the PSM156 I ran the Puritan Classic to my UFO25 and the DHC1 to the Lumin.  Long story short... things fell apart.  I could still tell that it was having a positive effect but solidity and body was noticeably diminished.

Next, from the PSM 156 I once again used the DHC1 cable but I then ran the Puritan Classic to the Plixer LPS/Chord DAC.  To the Lumin I ran the stock cable from the PSM 156.

The results, once again, were nothing short of amazing even with the stock cable supplying the Lumin.

The Puritan Classic cable is a shielded cable that uses 15 gauge conductors that are supposed to be able to supply 20 amps. It is, obviously, a very good cable.  IMO, it was not able to work as well with the UFO25 because it is only 15 gauge.  The Puritan Ultimate cable is a 12 gauge shielded cable and the reviews do state that it is noticeably better than the Classic and may be the cable that would work well with amps and pre amps.

Because the DHC1 worked so well supplying the PSM 156 and the UFO25/CSP3A I am ordering the DHC3 cables but will likely keep the Puritan Classic on the streamer and DAC.

My advice is... use a good 10 gauge shielded cable to supply the PSM 156, amps and preamps and the Puritan Classic to supply DACs and streamers depending on the power draw of the streamer.

After experiencing what shielded cables and filters do on ethernet and power supplies I am convinced that as important as dedicated power supplies are even more important are good filtering systems from the receptacle to the components.

To JBzen's response: I Fully agree and would add... that after having the Puritan PSM 156 supplying the UFO25 I would say that it is grossly under rated.

This is a preliminary response.  After changing all the DHC1 to DHC3 I give my final impressions but that won't be till March at the earliest.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: PURITAN PSM 156
Reply #1 - 01/23/23 at 16:32:58

Thanks Joman. I look forward to further impressions.

I wonder if you can tell us what you were using before for power tuning as a point of comparison?

Thanks,

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/23/23 at 16:54:47

Hey Will,

I was using the entry level Blu Circle FX2 and was planning to upgrade.  Blu Circle has since shut down and Gilbert Yeung is still designing and possibly producing components in association with EnTracte Audio.  The power filter that I was considering was the EnTracte EF130 but the receptacles are not individually isolated from each other.  That was the deal breaker.

Next came the Plixir filters after my experience with the Plixir Elite LPS.  The cost was the deal breaker.

Then I came across the Puritan PSM 136 and decided to go for the PSM 156.  Ticked all the right boxes and I pulled the trigger on it.  Glad that I did.

Some time back I also changed the plugs and IECs on the DHC1 cables and never really completed that project.  So in conjunction with the purchase of the DHC3 I will be completing the Plug/IEC project.  Then I will post the results.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/23/23 at 17:22:25

Sounds good. Thanks. Really glad it is doing so much for you ...and many others by reports!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/23/23 at 17:25:55

Thinking it through, I guess most of my modification work, my power cables, as well as a whole lot of other things that make up my system/room are fundamentally as much about refined power as anything. Sounds follows.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #5 - 01/23/23 at 18:11:45

Hi Will,

That's exactly what I was interpreting from JOMAN's results - that a step up in the power cable used improved the performance of the PSM 156.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/23/23 at 18:34:37

Hey Tony,

I agree... power cords have been bigtime here, having all exceptional power cables I can move around for fine tuning... and several were made specifically to improve other power gear that needed help for more transparency and speed... (Balanced transformer, PSAudio P5, Audio Brickwall, computer power supply...). But I was also thinking about my tuned amp power supplies, pre-stages, and DAC power supply caps, resistors, wires and connectors... also tuned filter caps on AC... tuned receptacles, IECs, fuses.... as well as many smaller but contributing active and passive cleaners/filters. Lots and lots about clean and musical power!

I knew this I guess, but it was all part of a progression. Just now though, with new talk about how important power can be, I noticed just how much of my ongoing quest for more ultimately engaging and complete music has been about power. So just supporting the thought here.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/07/23 at 03:37:18

So I received the Classic + cables today.  Looks like the seller didn’t even use them.  Check out the packaging (I am trying to get a confirmation).

With 9 days of dedicated circuit burn in time behind me, I figured I might as well plug one source device so I took out the stock cable from my Innuos Pulse streaming transport and connected the Classic +.  What I was surprised to find is that the female end doesn’t go in snug in to the streamer.  Once you connect and let it go it drops back and hangs a little.  See picture for illustration:

That said, it is still making enough contact to power the steamer but my OCD is killing me.  Wondering Joman, if you and or any other members experienced similar issues with either this cable or any other power cord for that matter?

I did a 1 hr long listening session and early impressions are that I’m detecting more clarity on vocals, more authority/gravitas on bass impact, the leading edges seem more clear/resolute.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/07/23 at 13:57:04

There are plenty of fancy power cables out there. Good ones can be purchased at reasonable costs. The only requirements are 10 AWG conductors, shield connected at the plug ground wire leaving it unconnected at the IEC connector, and quality connectors.

John  

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/07/23 at 19:20:56

I have many different very good sounding power cables that could fit close to, but not exactly with JBZen's standards, and all sound different enough to roll them for more refined sound preferences now and then. I also have a few that might fit these parameters, also made with pretty good stuff, but may not sound as good as some others with better design, end, and wire synergy.

And two power cables made from the same wires/dielectric, geometry, damping and ends, but ending with say an 11 or 12 gauge conglomerate, rather than 10 gauge, will sound different also in my system... In fact, for some specially made cables I put together to solve specific issues with some gear, this is how I finally tuned them. All else the same, if the sound was a little too thick/dense, bass weighted, and a touch slow, I would remove one small wire from the conglomerate gauge of each run... making a 10 into an 11 or 12 or 13 until it sounded more balanced overall for the use.

And like anywhere else, power or signal, just choices between wire type and end material effect the sound.... A 12 gauge PC with the same wire setup/geometry and ends, but one using UPOCC copper versus one using some OF Copper conductors will sound different. Or a UPOCC cable with gold plated pure copper ends, or just pure copper, of the same make, will be different. As will shield material and shield diameter used, or no shield at all. So though I agree that you can make or get some pretty decent lower cost audio cables, I get a lot of benefit from more fine tuning sound choices.  At least here, and for my tastes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print