Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 09:14:30 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Questions on Dedicated Circuit/s (Read 19231 times)
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: Questions on Dedicated Circuit/s
Reply #50 - 01/24/23 at 11:03:11

Good that you found some one willing to take time to understand your concerns with the installation. It has been over 15 years since I worked closely with electrical contractors. I found them to be an odd bunch that had peculiar habits and egos. Mysterious much like electricity. The premium that is being paid is the rub though and I recall the stories that electrical contractors told of when those special jobs paid a very good premium.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 01/25/23 at 23:54:01

Wire is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.  In the meantime, I’ve been peppering the electrician with questions (God bless his patience) and turns out that installing separate copper ground rods (for your Hifi in this case) is not illegal in NJ.  That said, it would jack up the cost/labor so I am sitting this particular addition out for now. He assured me that it can be added later when I have the budget.

I’m thinking of getting two small fans from Amazon for break-in.  Chris said I could potentially hook my gear up right away—it’s just that without a constant draw, the break-in would take longer.

#Firstworldproblems

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 01/26/23 at 09:04:23

I don't see the logic of adding a dedicated earth ground for audio, if I'm reading you right. As long as the residential service has a ground rod, adding another one could create an easier path to ground for some devices in the residence...read "hum".

I can see doing a double ground rod 6' apart connected with a single(not spliced) copper conductor to the ground buss in the service panel. Doing anything different will invite trouble IMO.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 01/26/23 at 16:36:46

John, in my observations of multiple forums, I’ve seen it widely suggested but is regularly challenged, not because it will necessarily introduce hum but that it is potentially dangerous and illegal to do so, in many states.  Apparently, NJ is not one of them. I will continue to look in to this more. For now, I’m skipping this additional install.

Update: The Eagle has landed…

image host

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 01/26/23 at 22:05:09

Hi Kamran,

Good luck with your project and keep us informed on how it goes.  My power journey has been a long one starting with outlets, then power cords, power regenerators and a dedicated line.  I felt all were beneficial.

The biggest lift I got was from a PS Audio Powerplant.  I have particularly bad power here at my home.  

Lonely Raven brought over his behemoth P10 Powerplant and put it in my system and the impact was profound.  I went out the next week and bought a less expensive used unit.  In all, I've had three such units and currently have an older PS Audio P5 I bought from Lon.

This is probably for the power conditioning thread but Paul at PS Audio has been talking about conditioning vs regenerating in his last two daily Posts which may be worth a read.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 01/27/23 at 03:12:16

Thanks Tom—looking forward to the install on Saturday and will keep everyone posted.  As much as I hate to divert funds from saving up for Sarah, I wanted to pay attention to the foundations, so I really hope this is a good step forward and pay dividends in the long run.

As I was reading about your PS Audio Power Plant, I couldn’t help but think about Steve Hoffman’s review of the Puritan.  He had the PP (don’t recall which model) prior and preferred the Puritan.  It would be really interesting if somehow you could get your hands on a loaner to compare the two.  I will look up Paul’s posts as you mentioned.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 01/27/23 at 08:25:13

Kamran,

Funny, delivery was taken on the 12/2 wire yesterday from Amazon. It was not in any retail packaging, much like yours. It was probably cut from old stock bulk reels. Most likely the reason for the low price.

I pushed yesterday to finish up cleaning another batch of 100 LPs so today could be spent on the install of wire. New breaker(s) will be installed from spares. The wire will not be matched in lenght to the other existing wire being it will be run a different way.

It has been my experience that there is voltage between earth ground and neutral on the mains of a power grid. 1 or 2 volts that is always present. In my neighborhood there are thousands(yours too) of power grid earth grounds all having this voltage potential. That potential varies. I believe the variance is mainly the result of what the particular ground rod is touching when inserted into the earth. By adding an additional grounding circuit in close proximity to an establish mains ground can only invite trouble because of this voltage potential and really a waste of resources in my opinion.

I like the Puritan conditioner and its approach to cleaning AC.

Edit: volt reference above should have been millivolt.
John

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 01/27/23 at 12:52:10

Hey Kamran,

I've found any investment in the power foundation to be a good one.  But like all things hi-fi, its situational as to what works best.  At home, the I think the powerplant worked best because of uneven power.   Making sure I got steady power along with cleaning up the sinewave was important.  I don't know how much of it was power sags and how much of it was signal cleaning, but it helped.  I also run mine at 118v per a suggestion by Will so adjusting the output seems to have an impact.

I bought a separate P300 power plant for my cottage where there are few homes on the grid (and only for a few months), clean power and found it just wasn't necessary.  I sold it back to 4krow.

Paul is pitching the powerplant's help with maintaining steady power, no matter what your rig pulls during various passages in the music.  I'm thinking that's probably more for big high power SS rigs but I don't know.

I've never done a passive vs active comparison so I don't know what would be best for me personally.  I did a knee jerk reaction when I heard LR's P10 and never tried anything else.

First world problems indeed.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #58 - 01/27/23 at 14:33:50

Kamran, I agree with John’s earlier post. I made some improvements to the circuit in my listening room, one of which was giving it its own separate ground. I never had hum issues until I did that, and once I removed it and went back to the original whole-house ground my hum issue disappeared. Bravo on all your other improvements though. I think you’re going to be happy with the new line otherwise.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 01/27/23 at 18:13:58

John and Mannytheseacow— thanks for the valuable insight with respect to the potential problems with installing the additional ground.  Duly noted.  Wasn’t super big on it anyways, but this gives me further pause.

Tom—agreed that it’s going to be very situational and there is no one size fits all scenarios in Hifi.

Update: Ordered two small fans from Amazon last night, which actually were overnighted so we had a big box arrive early this morning.  Intend to use those to cook each line for a brief time before I hook up the rig.  Last night, I was telling my wife that I’d need to break-in the new dedicated lines for a week or two, and looks like she still had PTSD from the speaker break-in period and was like…wait, we have to listen to music 24/7 again?? I got a good laugh from that.  Then I went to explain that, no honey just the slight noise from the fans (or lack thereof) from their lowest setting.  

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 01/27/23 at 23:27:43

The new wire has been installed and all is buttoned up. The load with the 1500 watt header upped the voltage drop by 2 volts with the capacitor bank energized. So an increase of 50% with (2)12/2 wires configured parallel from the breaker to outlet. With one 12/2 it dropped from 124v to 120v with 1500w load. Now with (2)12/2s 124v to 122v.

I get a feeling this is not completed to my satisfaction. It has been a while since the electrical boxes been opened. Turned out to be a rat nest without rats. This could have been done better. The main feed for the audio is in the sub panel(on the right second from bottom with 2 wires). There is an open breaker in the main panel near the top(on the right first single breaker after the 2 pole breaker). The shop can use another 20 amp circuit. So time to buy some 10 gauge and use that spare breaker in main panel for the audio feed and use the 12/2 to run a outlet to the shop. Will be easy now that conduit runs are in place.

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 01/28/23 at 09:34:42

A blog link to some of the issues created by isolated ground circuits. I found the parts dated Jun 12th and Jun 19th to be revealing. Need to scroll down a good bit to get there.

https://igroundllc.com/blog/

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 01/28/23 at 13:41:03

Seems I’m talking to myself Smiley

Well the ears have it…I’ve been listening.

Those 2 volts simply cleared up congestion on busy passages and added staunch crispness to the ever present deep and wide Decware soundstage.

Good luck Kamran on the day of reckoning Smiley

John

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 01/28/23 at 14:10:41

Thanks John. Electrician is due later today.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 01/28/23 at 14:40:30

I skimmed this thread so if this has been mentioned already I'll say it again.

Caig Deoxit gold is a great product to use on the connections. Every connection in the panel should be sprayed down with it.

Voltage changes really do make a difference with the way the system sounds. I've been very happy with the addition of the Torus AVR 15. I'm on the lookout for a good price on a used AVR 20. It doesn't keep the voltage as steady as PS Audio regenerators. I prefer the way the Torus sounds. More natural and dynamic.

Voltage fluctuation of over 10 volts is not uncommon in certain areas, last place I had 15v+ swings depending on time and if the air conditioner was running. That change does change how loud your system plays. It also effects gain riding. This means your system will sound different depending on how many volts are going into your equipment.

Torii MKV is 370 volt B+ voltage. For easy math lets call it 360v. That is 3 volts of B + per volt out of the wall.

115 v = 345 v B+
125 v = 375 v B+

VR tubes to the rescue! However, even with VR tubes the input voltage changes the sound.

Kamran, good luck with the dedicated line. In the next month or so I'm going to install mine.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #65 - 01/28/23 at 18:12:57

Hi guys. I have been following this thread from the beginning. Very informative - especially, since I don’t have much experience in this area.

When I moved into my home 3 months ago, I needed an extra outlet in my Audio room. I had the electrician install a new, hospital grade outlet, and run a new line from the outside panel (it is only about 30’ away, so pretty simple).

I have my Decware ZLC plugged into the new outlet, and all my components plugged into it. The ZLC has a digital voltage meter on the back, and I’ve taken some time, and watched it, at various times, to see how the readings fluctuate - with and without, the HVAC running.

It always shows between 121v and 124v. Never seen greater or less than this range. My system sounds consistently great, so I have no complaints.

Is this range acceptable, and is there a better way to measure, or other things to test for?

Thanks,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #66 - 01/28/23 at 18:18:57

I would say it's safe, shouldn't harm components. I've seen someone say that up to 5 volts over 120 and 5 percent THD is acceptable from a power company over the lines.

In using my power regenerator I can change the regulated voltage from 120 up . . . I've never run more than 123. The sound "thickens" slightly as you go over 120 so you are probably getting a bit of a warmer sound than if you were receiving a steady 120.

That's my 2 cents.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 01/28/23 at 18:21:46

Geno, If you are consistently between 121-124v that is fantastic! If the wait list for the ZLC wasn't so long I would have bought one. I really like what the transformer does to the power before hitting the equipment.

Once I get a dedicated line in my current room I'm hoping it's a little more stable. It's also 14 awg so going to 10 awg should help things.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 01/28/23 at 18:23:42

I'm with Lon. It's not ideal I'm betting most components can take +/- 10% or more and be AOK for a long long time.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 01/29/23 at 03:00:25

And we’re cookin since 4 pm…

Let’s rewind….shall we?

The electrician arrived at 11 am and before he started working, I played two minutes of Michael Bublé’s cover of ‘Feeling Good’ and got an instant reaction of WOW! I’ve never heard a song so clear before.

It gets better….

Then I asked him to point out what speakers were playing and he immedietly pointed to my home theater center channel and I was like, umm no and pointed my finger to the the pair of OB’s and was like just these two.  I will probably never forget the look of utter disbelief on his face.  He actually stepped closer to the speakers to determine that for himself—he wasn’t taking my word for it.  I think I rocked his world and then I followed up with an explanation of center imaging and sound-staging 101.

Anyways, we (or he) got down to business.  He told me that with all the questions and demands I put on this install, he was actually dreaming about his game plan all week long.  Here were my 4 big asks:

1) Minimize hard bends
2) Install on the same phase
3) Install on the less noisy leg
4) Run both wires of equal length

See, the problem is that I don’t have a straight wall from the panel (back of room) to front wall.  There was a radon pipe that we had covered in a jutting column when we finished the basement.  Going around the radon enclosure meant multiple 90 degree bends that was not preferred by both. Prior to being an electrician, he was a home renovator and knows his way around metal studs and drywall.  He was able to fish both wires straight through the ensclosure to the other side, continuing the straight run until we hit the front wall resulting in a much neater look and no bends until the front wall.  In order to ensure as much equal length as possible, the outlet boxes had to be placed on top of each other.  The end result?  Well, see it for yourself…

Once the breakers were connected and we went live, so did the two fans from Amazon on each line.

In the below pics, you can see both the starting point of the wiremold right outside the louvered door that hides the unfinished nook of the basement where the panel is as well as the radon pipe enclosure and the way the wall juts some more, before straightening out.  This was tricky, but he made it work.

2015 genesis 3.8 0 60

I have a 15 ft long run of cat 8 feeding my Innuos Pulse and for now I have taped it on top of the upper wiremold (hence the line of blue in the last picture). The electrician told me to use crazy glue (or perhaps monster glue) vs. tape for a cleaner look but I didn’t want to commit to that until I am sure the live wire isn’t going cause havoc to the Ethernet signal.  I am playing music now and all seems to be good.

Now comes the hard part.  The wait while I cook these wires.  Let’s see if I last the entire two weeks as VH Audio recommended.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 01/29/23 at 05:05:47

Amazing Kamran!

This whole move of yours has inspired me and I am sure many others as well.

So much information linked here!
I felt like I was making headway upgrading my power cables and that is always good, but this thread makes me want to look deeper into what I am living with.

Thanks to all who contributed!

Looking forward to your impressions as things settle for you, Kamran.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 01/29/23 at 11:14:00

Kamran it is always pleasing to have reactions by visitors like you just experienced. Your going to like the result he installed. Get a good conditioner and your foundation will be complete; forgot about for many years until somehow it gets disconnected.

Looking forward to your reactions Groovy!

Get her done DD!

Digital displays are slow. The display needs converted from the signal which takes time. I miss those old analog meters. Those needles showed tiny fluctuations that are more a concern in this thread.

ZLC, Puritan, and the like always give pause when I see those toroid trannies under the hood. Seems it is not indicative to the goal of minimizing current swings. Guess the designers are more concerned about EMI then musical timing.

John

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 01/29/23 at 13:59:41

Kamran, Great write up as usual! Exciting to have it all done.

I love seeing the faces of disbelief like the electricians!

Kamran, did you NOT hook your stereo up to the new lines yet?!? I would and run the fans when I wasn't listening. I'm still a little kid I guess  :D

John, Transformers do really well at correcting and eliminating certain power issues. I still run a Pi Audio UberBUSS after my Torus AVR, I actually run one before it too. The Torus even without the conditioner before or after makes a good difference. It's an autoformer so it does a rough voltage correction, keeping voltage at 120 +/- 4v

AVR Status
Voltage In:      122V
Voltage Out:      120V
Current Out:      4.1A

I'm guessing end of Feb I'll make getting the new line a priority. I'm down to the final stretch of redoing my new home.

Kamran, looking forward to your impressions.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 01/30/23 at 03:18:48

My resolve was already teetering on the edge and GroovySauce pushed it over.  

So, after 24 hours, I came up with a game plan.  Plug the sources (attached to a conditioner) with the fan on one dedicated line and the amp and second fan on the other dedicated line—to induce a heavier load while the amp is warming up and have the streaming transport play non-stop radio.  And when I want to critically listen, plug out the fans and get down to business.

So I listened for approx. 2 hours tonight.

Wow—just wow!

Better dynamics—check
Bigger Soundstage (especially height)—check

The Soundstage was not only bigger, but also markedly more 3D/Immersive/Holographic.  On Chantal Chamberland’s cover of “I put a spell on you” the guitar (stage right) was previously reaching almost to my head and now it was going well past. Wow.  There are other examples but this is the only example I could retain after having my mind blown.

Better bass—-check — This took multiple tracks to hash out.  Definitely better but wasn’t necessarily apparent in the beginning due to the kind of tracks I was playing and also not a night and day difference (at least not yet).

But what I didn’t expect was:

The DECAY!

There was an extended decay present in almost all the songs I played and it boosted the musicality of all the tracks.  Didn’t realize until tonight that a slight but noticeable shift in decay times was going to have a such a profound impact on the listening experience.

The Mid-Range—every time I think my midrange can’t get any better, I stand corrected. More clarity and ever so more in the room.

Micro Details: I think I heard some micro details in certain tracks  that I haven’t heard before. Will need more time to resolve that (no pun intended).

The weren’t kidding when it was said that getting a dedicated line is akin to a component upgrade….

There you have it folks—and this was just Day 1.

To continue inducing the load on the amp line (while the amp is off), I have plugged my SVS 2000 Pro sub (for HT) to accompany the fan on the same outlet/line.

Time for some TV.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #74 - 01/30/23 at 10:54:00

So glad that you enjoy the fruits of effort and cost. It really can be an upgrade that shouldn't be overlooked. How long did it take in hours to complete the electrical work? And what kind of conduits did you end up using?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 01/30/23 at 11:13:57

Kamran, I was going to second GS's nudge but got sidetracked. Ever since the circuit was added, I been listening to vinyl. Just can't get enough. I put the ZP3 directly to CSP2+ bypassing the Zrock. The sound is so distracting that my mind keeps migrating to the music and stops me in my tracks on what is at hand.

GS I agree transformers can help greatly with mains power. Heck if a isolation transformer is used, one can run a isolated ground without issue. It would be a monster in size. My 50 pound balanced power tranny is big enough.

Cheers!

John

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 01/30/23 at 23:39:41

Forgot to mention this: to err on the side of caution, I over estimated the length of the wire for the project. I have two equal lengths of cryo’d wire leftover at approx 13ft and change. If anyone is interested in securing this at cost, just PM me.

About to start the listening session for day two, to confirm that yesterday wasn’t a fever dream.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 01/31/23 at 03:15:30

Nope. Not a fever dream.  

I can now confirm hearing micro details that weren’t evident before but what struck out to me today was the the ATTACK.  

Whether it was guitar strings being plucked or percussion instruments, the rig is now offering a more realistic bite/zing, especially appreciated on intense tracks.  Nils Lofgren’s ‘Bass and Drum Intro’ and ‘Lalo Cura’ by Ottmar Liebert were two standout tracks today that exhibited this.

The soundstage feels grander? A result of being wider and (appreciably) higher, and providing a level of immersion that really, just re-defined for me what immersion/holography really is.  Up until today, I used to think Mark Knofler’s ‘The Long Road’ was an ok to good track.  Today, it sounded fabulous with a sense of scale that I haven’t heard before.  Similar feelings about Mike Oldfield’s ‘The Source of Secrets’ and ‘The Watchful Eye’.

Also worth noting that the extended decay is not only lending to more musicality but also a better sense of space (whether actual or intended by the artist).  Case in point—Agnus Obel’s ‘The Curse’ sounded more grander, more open, and more ethereal than it has ever before.

Why the heck didn’t I do this before?

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 02/02/23 at 02:50:14

Quote:
So glad that you enjoy the fruits of effort and cost. It really can be an upgrade that shouldn't be overlooked. How long did it take in hours to complete the electrical work? And what kind of conduits did you end up using?

Sorry for the delay 4krow, I’ve been pretty distracted for the last day or two.

The whole job took about 4 hours and we agreed to use white plastic wiremold to make the home run aesthetically pleasing.  The electrician also noticed an existing bad breaker in the panel and he replaced that for me without charging extra.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 02/05/23 at 02:23:17

Today marks the first full week of dedicated line break-in.  I just got done with my listening session.  The focus today was low end.  I had a bunch of new recommended tracks bookmarked thanks to Loic from Hifi Cave’s follow-up to his latest video on the W15 and some other YouTuber who was reviewing the REL TX/9 and had recommended a bunch of test tracks.  

It seems that every time I’m obsessing over experimenting with a REL sub, the Fast 15s slap me in the face.  Today, was one such day.  I’ve been listening to these speakers for the past 2 months and change and bass has not only improved, but took an appreciable leap forward with the dedicated circuit-which was to be expected.  

So this completes all the attributes—dynamics, soundstage (more vast, more holgographic), bite/attack, decay, and bass response.   The rig is sounding stupendously glorious and I’m only 50% done with break-in as per VH Audio.

I could not have done this without the excellent feedback and guidance of all the participants in this thread.  I can’t thank you enough.  

On Monday, I will receive two used Puritan Classic power cords—besides the conditioner, the cables themselves are well received.  I was holding out on Shunyata, but got a great deal and was like, why the hell not?  Haven’t made up my mind whether to plug them in right away or let the circuit burn in for another week. We shall see…

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 02/05/23 at 04:27:43

Kamran,
IMO, and based on my experience, to get the full benefit of the Puritan conditioner you will need to use something other than the Puritan Classic cables for the mains lead to the conditioner and from the conditioner to the amp and pre amp.

The Classic cables are excellent to components that do not draw a lot of power...DAC's, Streamers and the Classic worked very well to the OPPO 103D.

The "rave" reviews of the PSM 156 were with the Puritan Ultimate as the mains cable.  That is an entirely different beast from the Classic.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 02/05/23 at 05:39:49

Thanks for the insight Joman.  For now, just playing around with the cables but one of the primary targets is my streamer.  I was intending the other one for the preamp but might try it in my DAC and move the Cullen PC from the DAC to the preamp—to shake things up a bit.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #82 - 02/05/23 at 06:30:11

JOMAN,  I am still considering the Puritan conditioner, and wondered if the top of the line Decware power cable would suffice.  Did you consider that option or for one reason or another ruled it out?

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 02/05/23 at 09:31:38

Tony,

Check out my initial post on the Puritan PSM 156 as I do not want to take this thread in a different direction, really good stuff in here.  

I will add this in answer.... I have ordered 2 DHC3 cables to replace my DHC1 cables.  I will be using these as power supplies to the PSM 156, the CSP3-A and the UFO25.  I am intrigued by the Puritan Ultimate cable and may eventually try it, but that will be a $1K experiment.  For now I feel the DHC3 are probably more than sufficient.

The shielding used in the Puritan cables is very different and I believe, very effective.  So, in the end I may replace the Puritan Classic that powers the DAC and OPPO with the Puritan Classic+.  I did use the Classic on my Lumin and it was jaw dropping.  I think that the Classic+ has  the same conductors as the Classic but with "enhanced" shielding which is trickle down from the Puritan Ultimate.  In environments that have significant EMI/RFI contamination this could be crucial.

However, it's not just about the cables.  The plugs and IECs are critical.  Some time back I experimented with Furutech plugs and IECs of different base metals.  I did not complete that experiment and am in the process of doing so as well.  I will likely start a connected but different post on that.

I'm off to warmer climates, Florida, in a weeks time.  I'll be taking delivery of the DHC3's then and installing them when I get back home in March.  Saves a lot on clearance fees and taxes this way.  At some point in March I will post the results.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #84 - 02/05/23 at 15:27:17

I'll be taking delivery of the DHC3s then and installing them when I get back home in March.  Saves a lot on clearance fees and taxes this way.

Thanks for the information JOMAN; I forget that you are from the "north country" as your English is so good.  ;)

I'll head over to your earlier post for further review.  Still, what you added is helpful, as I had missed that there was a third power cable: the Classic+.

Safe travels.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 02/05/23 at 16:21:39

I evidently forgot the + sign in my past.  That’s what I snagged too.  It was my first time buying on Audiogon and the seller agreed to $175 including shipping for both.  They arrived early today (a first for USPS) but since they were destined for my business address, USPS didn’t find anyone home.  They will re-attempt delivery tomorrow.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 02/12/23 at 22:06:42

So this post is 24 hours in the making.  Yesterday at 4 pm, I crossed the two week break-in period of the dedicated circuits recommended by Chris at VH Audio.  Fans out, packed, and shipped back to Amazon.

Speaking of Amazon, I had ordered a dirty electricity meter that measures EMI.  Not really sure how reliable it is but the results it gave me, were interesting…

The old daisy chained 14 gauge outlet that fed both the conditioner and Dennis Had amp, gave me a reading of 110 mVp-p at 122 VAC, whereas both the new dedicated circuits were approx 200 mVp-p at 120/121 VAC.  With the Audioquest PowerQuest 3 conditioner plugged in to the dedicated circuit, 4 of the non-high current outlets dropped that by 50% with a reading of about 100 mVp-p and change.

The results were not what I expected, especially how less noisy that old daisy chained outlet is. I measured some other outlets in the chain and they were over 200 mvp-p.  So not sure what to make if it. But it was an interesting exercise.  I also have no further use of the tool, so it went back as well.

That said, the above measurements don’t necessarily coincide with what I am hearing.  Literally every single aspect of the rig has changed for the better, even with the comparatively more noisier line.  I did make one adjustment and introduced the second Puritan Classic + cable to the DAC (first one is plugged in to my streamer) and connected both to the best measuring outlets on the conditioner.  Then I took my Cullen Power Cable (that was previously powering the DAC) and switched it with the stock cable on my Schiit Freya preamp.  I figured that now I know which outlets on the conditioner are performing the best, let’s have the source gear connected to them—especially the two Puritan Classic + Cables, which have reportedly good shielding and should further lower the noise floor.

And finally to the listening test:

One of the albums I always return to when I have burned in shit is Cowboy Junkies’ ‘Trinity Sessions’.  I intended to listen to it yesterday but figured I’d give it a day as I also introduced a new Puritan cable to the mix.  I just finished the album 10 minutes ago and trying to type this before I lose track of the differences I heard:

Soundstage: The reverb of the church was more present than before—quite apparent that this was recorded in a large space. There was also a better sense of depth.  On some tracks, either the drum kit is way back or at least mic’d in such a way that it appears to be 3 rows back, but still clearly audible.

Space: Better separation and air between instruments—allowing me to appreciate not only the whole ensemble but also the tonality of each instrument.

Details/Tonality: Ironically, ‘Sweet Jane’, which to me, has never really sounded stupendously good as ppl make it out to be, sounded the best today.  The drum kit was mic’d to the left of Margo, so closer up, and both the tonality and delicacy of the cymbal hits was markedly more crisp and lifelike.  Thought I was hearing a completely new song.

Vocals: Margo’s vocals were ever so more intoxicating and melancholy.  I think, for the first time, I could hear her breath work more clearly and even the faint noise of her pressing her lips together as she took a breath.  

I love Wikipedia’s description of how this album unfolds like a continuously unfolding song. Well, it has always sounded like a continuously unfolding song, but today I felt like I was in the church with them—part of their hour long jam session.  For lack of a better term, it got personal, and I loved every second of it.

Ok, perhaps a few more tracks before I pack it in for the big game…

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 02/13/23 at 14:25:42

To reduce EMF, a product I've used for years is https://greenwavefilters.com/ I have them in all the rooms of my home. Some rooms I have multiple, all the circuits are below 30 mV.  

The circuit my stereo is plugged into is 17-18 mV.

That measurement is one of many that can have an impact on the sound coming from our stereo.

Does anyone know of a resource covering all the different measurable things that we should be aware of from our power?

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #88 - 02/13/23 at 15:18:37

Hi GroovySauce,

I had seen these advertised and wondered if they might be worth a try. As you have given the 'GS" seal of approval, I just placed an order for a pair.  Did you also purchase the meter?

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #89 - 02/13/23 at 17:07:55

If you’re looking to reduce EMF in your home there are a lot of products out there these days that work well… Maybe some better than others.  

I have been using the Earth Calm whole home EMF reducer for over 14 years and was very happy with the result. I have dug deep into EMF reduction along time ago and it is a very interesting topic of conversation for a separate thread. A lot of these devices are based off the Shuman Resonance frequencies.  My device had to be plugged in in stages to allow your body to experience the change. All I can say is that I was blown away on how my body reacted… fatigue tiredness and slight headaches lasted for a few days and then went away. With each stage of plugging the device in a similar experience was encountered. After it was all said and done I felt completely fine with no ill affects.  It was at the time that I realized how bad EMFs really are.  

The person who probably knows the most about this topic of conversation  is forum member Will… so I hope he has some input here.  A company he had recommended to me a while back was Blueshield USA.  I must say that I was very impressed with their products and it’s some point I will definitely wind up buying a device from them.  I took a look at Groovy’s recommendation of the green wave products and they seem to be solid.  

When I redid my home last year I ran network cable throughout every room in the house in every possible location to avoid the use of Wi-Fi as much as possible.  But with  my whole home EMF product installed, I can rest easier knowing that I made a conscious effort to reduce EMF in my home.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #90 - 02/13/23 at 17:20:35

Kamran,

I have been following this thread for some time, watching to see how things turn out. In spite of my interest, two points stand out to me about the procedure(s) used. Mostly that two fans were employed to break in the circuits installed? Why not just use it with your audio system in the first place? Then, correct me if I am wrong about this. You bought these fans from Amazon for the expressed purpose of breaking in the new circuits, knowing that when this was complete that the fans would be sent back to Amazon for refund? Would that be in the same thinking as going to an audio brick and mortar store to browse audio gear that you might want, and then order on the internet at a lower price? If I am wrong about this LMK, otherwise, it didn't sit well with me.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #91 - 02/13/23 at 19:01:36

Hey Dom,

Thanks for the information.  This is a topic that I was unaware of, and I appreciated your response.

Tony

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 02/13/23 at 23:58:40

This is becoming a thread for the ages.  So much interesting and useful information to play with.  

GroovySauce—the EMF meter I used to measure was actually from the same company, so that makes me feel better about reliability.  While I’m sure that the conditioner is doing it’s job by drooping the EMF by 50% and then the Classic + cable providing additional shielding, the idea of providing less EMF from the get go, is certainly appealing.  My termination boxes are right on top of each other to keep the two lengths straight so I wonder if these reducers will block on of the outlets.  Also, assuming they don’t act like act a strip, and shunt power—in other words, if one of the receptecles is being blocked, I can just plug the amp or the conditioner right in to it.  The price for two isn’t earth shattering so I might look in to this….

Tony—you’re spot on.  GroovySauce’s seal of approval speaks volumes (no pun intended)

Dominick: Thanks for your input—I’m beginning to evaluate EMF outside of just audio now.  And would love to hear from Will if he reads this.

4krow—good to hear from ya.  Let me address both your points and (hopefully) put you at ease:

1) The equipment was also plugged in during break-in and I was listening almost each day during this period. I would just disconnect the fans when doing so.

2) Speaking of fans, there was a short discussion on whether to keep them or not post break-in and I decided to return them.  Amazon gives me that out.  Not only was I under the return window, but also one of the reasons Amazon provides for returns is:

“No longer needed”.

Hence, I don’t see anything ethically wrong about returning it since Amazon itself is allowing the very thing.  They will indeed inspect and re-sell it as an open box item.

As far as your analogy goes about brick and border stores—respectfully, I’m not sure it is applicable, since most big box stores price match with online retailers like Amazon.  There have been a number of times (though much less of late since I primarily rely on Amazon vs. venturing out to a store) I’ve been to a store like Target or Best Buy and if I saw the same item on Amazon for cheaper, and showed it to them—they reduced their price on the spot and the retailer thus kept the business.  Furthermore, there are still a number of items we just continue to buy from retail stores (like clothes) without checking anywhere else.  They just get our business—period.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #93 - 02/14/23 at 00:49:02

Kamran,
I do appreciate your response in the way that you showed no disdain for my observations. I am the first to admit that when discussing a topic with just about anyone, it is very difficult for me to get my points across the way that they are intended. Fortunately, you 'get it'.
 I can say that it still seems to me that connecting the audio system to the new AC system would suffice in time, especially if some of it were left on. I cannot deny that there is part of me that agrees with the idea of signals, no matter the source will have some sort of break in, but I will quickly say that most of the time, I ignore this possibility.
It is surprising to me that Amazon or any other business would allow for what you stated. Having said that, I do not disbelieve what you said. Times actually have changed, and I was raised in a completely different environment, no doubt about that. With the explanation of the rules if you will, then I see nothing wrong about this. That's about it for the that topic.
Moving on just a little bit here, there are a few other things that I raised an eyebrow about during the topic discussion but let me explain something first. Whether or not that I agree with others in various topics is less important than keeping an open mind. Of course, I trust that people are still capable of separating the wheat from the chaff.
On a dark and stormy night, I had discovered a new product that most people almost laughed at. I was probably 20 years old and began to try and sell the product. I couldn't give it away. I gave up after about a year and continued to use the product even to this day. What was it? Synthetic motor oil. Doesn't really matter the brand on the can, and even in some cases the composition of it. Hmmm, NOW look at it. After experiences like this one (and yes, there are several more!), I learned to stop trying to educate the rest of the population and just go about my business. Whether it's the oil that I use in my truck, or the insulation that I used in my home from top to bottom, etc., it has been easier and usually better, at least for me, not to try and get my point across. I wasn't able to convince many people then, so I get it.

Ok, so the takeaway from this post should be simple enough. I read what is here and there, and to some degree offer my prospective or experience. Fortunately, there are people out there like Karman who still get it, and that's good enough for me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #94 - 02/14/23 at 01:21:15

Synthetic oil--I have been using it about 15 years. I was convinced when I changed it on my motorcycle and internal engine noise--which you can hear clearly--was diminished by about 20%.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 02/14/23 at 01:52:33

Dom, I'm going to look into the Earth Calm whole home EMF reducer.

Tony, Yes I have the Green Wave meter.

Kamran, The Green Wave filters take one outlet. They do have an outlet on the bottom of them. I wouldn't recommend using that for anything audio related. I don't consider the Green Wave filters as something "for" my stereo. They are for my health, if there are benefits beyond that I'm happy to accept. I say the most important place to put the filters is in bedrooms.

The units like the Green Wave can be made DIY. I looked into the cost and time and decided to go with Green Waves offering.

As a counter point to the EMF lowering devices and if it is something to consider for audio. I have a Plasmatron. Basically it takes an AC current and runs the sine wave through the tubes, This way the power going into the components that are plugged into it are all getting AC voltage that has gone through tubes. The end results can be very rewarding. When I measure the outlets on the Plasmatron with the GreenWave meter it's off the charts high! So reducing the level to 0 isn't necessary the end goal for audio. The health benefits of reducing EMF and other pollutants I take seriously. When the weather warms up I'm running CAT cable through out my home and disconnecting Wifi.  

I also utilize the BlueShield products. I have a large unit for my home and their auto products in both my cars.

While we have veered onto this topic. I encourage everyone to ground themselves. During the summer I'm bare foot outside all summer. I even weed wack in bare feet (I'm not recommending this!). Wearing shoes and not coming in contact with the earth deprives us of releasing excess charge that we would normally send to ground. During the winter is even worse.

There are many places to get cables and grounding contacts like a bracelet that attaches to ground, a mat you place on your desk that your wrists will come in contact with, sheets, blankets, pillow cases and more.

Search for "earthing" and a bunch of options should show up.

Quote:
I learned to stop trying to educate the rest of the population and just go about my business. Whether it's the oil that I use in my truck, or the insulation that I used in my home from top to bottom, etc., it has been easier and usually better, at least for me, not to try and get my point across. I wasn't able to convince many people then, so I get it.

4krow, Wise words. My philosophy related to this is "Trying to help someone without permission is a form of abuse."

4krow and Kamran... Did I really experience that exchange on the internet? I have been filled with joy after observing your exchange—it will stick with me for a long time. This is a great example of how people should be. You guys just made a good day better!

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 02/14/23 at 03:11:59

Thanks GroovySauce for the clarification.  Protecting myself and fam from EMF hasn’t been on top of my radar but based on the last few posts, I’m beginning to investigate it more seriously.

4krow and GroovySauce:  I’m really striving to be part of and to help add to a harmonious online culture, where everyone respects each other, learns from each other, gives each other space, understand different perspectives, and agree to disagree in a civil manner.  While I don’t claim to be perfect, I’ve been making a concerted effort to follow the adage, ‘you have to give respect to gain respect’ with a lot of success and have developed relationships in our audiophile community that have been and continue to be very rewarding.

I look forward to learning more and making more friends along the way  :)

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #97 - 02/14/23 at 03:18:22

GS,

Y thank you! Let's just say that really makes more  sense to respect each other than it does to throw S**t back and forth. You are correct, the internet is so full of the later. And I am exhausted to view anymore of it. Got way more than I needed on the playground in 3rd grade.
 I'm kinda laughing at the better way to put it as you have, "Trying to help someone who didn't ask for it is a form of abuse." The flip side is a saying here in Wyoming. "Don't try to teach a pig to sing. It will waste your time and annoy the pig." I know.. I know... not the same thing, but I am laughing because that is what came to my mind. I love my minds humor. I can't guess what will make me laugh next.

This was fun

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #98 - 02/14/23 at 06:16:42

Kamran,

I’m glad this post has morphed a bit towards EMF protection/reduction.  It’s a topic I’m passionate about as well.  Once you start going down the rabbit hole…there’s no looking back.  

Groovy….yes I’ve been satisfied with my Earthcalm products.  I also have their usb stick that is meant to pug into the back of a router.  I actually bring it to work and use it in my work vehicle which houses a PC with WiFi and 4G, laser and radar equipment.  So for me i feel it’s a necessity.  How do you like the Blueshield cube?  It’s been on my radar for some time now.  Will had suggested that if I go with the Blueshield product line, that it may be wise to disconnect my Earthcalm product because the technologies in the two companies could possibly clash with each other.  

When I redid my house I ran close to 25 home run lines of CAT 6 cabling to help reduce the amount of WiFi in my home.  That coupled with the EMF reducer, any remaining WiFi should hopefully be mostly cancelled out.  My sister is an electrical engineer, and some the topics they talked about when she was in college was really out there and interesting.  

For those with IOS devices….download the app “Magnetology”.   It will tell you how strong the earth’s geomagnetic field is pulling on a given day.  It can effect communications and overall health.  I initially learned about it when flying drones….they said on any given day….if the app is showing a level 4 or a 5, then they recommend not to fly because  you can run the risk of miscommunication with the drone and lose it.
When I showed my sister the app….she said they use it among other things at work be use it could affect the power grid since she works for the Con Edison utility company in NY.

So my point is that if you are concerned about the long term health of you and your family, then becoming more aware and looking into one of these EMF reducing devices should be considered.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #99 - 02/14/23 at 12:14:45

A really good way to start the day with a laugh!

"Don't try to teach a pig to sing. It will waste your time and annoy the pig."

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print