Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 20:31:33 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Questions on Dedicated Circuit/s (Read 19215 times)
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Questions on Dedicated Circuit/s
01/18/23 at 20:16:41

Ok Fellow members, I need you to help me think through this.

I currently have my gear on a 15 amp outlet (both source and amp). Amp is connected directly to wall and the other receptacle is tied to an entry level AQ power conditioner.  This circuit is daisy chained to at least 3 other outlets, one of which is my TV and another one to my AVR and networking gear.  In two years, I’ve never tripped a circuit.  So there isn’t necessarily a a pain point.  Typically, when I am running two channel, both my TV and AVR are on standby.

I am investigating the dedicated 20 amp circuit route for my 2 channel and have a bunch of questions:

1) Considering I’ve never tripped my 15 amp daisy chained circuit with my current load, does it make sense to add just one dedicated 20 amp line for the amp and source gear or two dedicated 20 amp circuits—one for a single ended tube amp and one for source gear (DAC/Streamer/Preamp/Future ZROCK2).

2) I have heard conflicting opinions on this but the code says to use 12 Awg or higher.  A lot of forum folks and Paul from PS Audio says go with 10 awg.  However, I spoke to 3 different dealers yesterday and every single one of them Pooh poo’d the idea of going the 10 awg route and said to use 12.  Any opinions on this?

3) If I do end up opting for two dedicated 20 amp circuits (irrespective of gauge), how important is it to keep the wires far apart from each other? I’ve heard that the wires need to be at least a foot away from each other to minimize any EMI/RFI.   How critical is it to keep the wires the same length?

4) Do I need to also ensure any of the wires is at least a foot away from my in wall Ethernet cable?

5) My breaker box is conveniently placed at the back of my listening room/basement and the contractor who also does electrical work was saying that the easiest method would be to route the wires from the breaker along the top or bottom of my side walls (not inside the walls—rather outside) to the termination point in the front of the room.  This way, we don’t have to worry about demo’ing the sheet rock for an internal placement and keeping the dedicated 20 amp circuit or circuits next to the 15 amp outlet.  Does it make any sense to have a sub-panel dedicated to 2 channel placed in the front of the room and just running wires from there? It would shorten the distance but not sure if it’s worth the added cost and or sonic benefit?

I may have more questions, but wanted to get juices flowing.  

For now, I’ve purchased two hospital grade outlets from Shunyata for this project but could probably return one.  Even if I don’t get the dedicated line or lines, I do at least want to change to the higher grade receptacle.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Re: Questions on Dedicated Circuit/s
Reply #1 - 01/18/23 at 21:35:30

I see your plan to be a good one.

Paul at PS Audio is a expert in the audio industry.

Electricians are experts in what they do.  Although not many have much knowledge on our specific audio needs.

I did a similar project in this house.  Here they replaced everything from the pole outside to my listening room.  Now have two 20 amp dedicated lines for audio only.

Paid the piper but I'm happy we did it.

Good luck to you!

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 01/18/23 at 23:05:11

Kamran,

Well written post and questions. Thank you. It is easier to answer from this rather than having to ask a bunch of questions in reply to your post.

So, ok, I am with your electrician with the idea of running the wire the way that he suggested. IMO, I would want it to be run in metal conduit as a shield for the AC wire and just better wearability. Might even be code in your area.
Secondly, Given the fact that you are running low current equipment (as a system) there is really no need for two 20 amp circuits. If in fact you still want to go that way now is the time to make the decision, because of increased cost later. This also applies to the gauge wire to be used, although again, given your circumstances, 12 ga. wouldn't be a sin.
The fact that you haven't tripped a breaker in your present AC source isn't the reason to choose a dedicated line in the first place. What it accomplishes is just that, a dedicated run, that will not be as influenced by other outlets/appliances/noise from other AC lines. The noise part is only true to a point, but worth mentioning.
What I see as the one of the most important aspects of this action is the reduction of connections between your breaker box and the audio system.
In short, no, I do not recommend a sub panel in this case.
Yes, it would be best if you can maintain distance from ethernet cables as well as other electrical cables. If you are going to run two separate 20 amp circuits (which I doubt you will even have future use for), then it will be a challenge to keep them separated, unless of course you have money to burn.
Ask your electrician to humor you into having the 20 amp breaker close to the main buss as possible. When I worked for the phone company running big circuits, we used the connections closest to the main buss as possible when noise might be a concern.
One other thing. It may be wise to have a 20 amp. GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter? I don't remember) breaker installed for the sake of safety. It's serves better in that location than downstream towards the audio system.
So, yes, I did everything listed above and a lot more when I rewired my old house. It started from the power pole and ended at each outlet. Would do it again, no question about it.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
michaelG

Reply #3 - 01/18/23 at 23:23:00

The post reminded me a question that I never got an answer for.
Did anyone with a dedicated line ever tried to place the amp very close to the outlet and connect the wall electric wires straight to the amp?
would this experiment give better result than any power cable ?

I Know it would not be convenient and is more an experiment than an actual set up.
let me know what you think  :)

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/19/23 at 00:15:38

Paul2 and 4krow—Thanks to both of you for your thoughtful responses.  One common item between both your posts was the addition of a new pole outside your house.  I was under the impression that single family house owners don’t necessarily lay claim to poles carrying electricity to their house—that they belong to the utility company and that we don’t have any power over them  (no pun intended) to have a pole replaced. In other words, we control our destiny inside the house vs. PSE&G controls it outside the house.  Curious, what benefit does a new pole provide?

Yea the point I was trying to make when I said that I never trippped the 15 amp circuit was to say that even with the current load—Denon AVR, Networking Gear, PlayStation, Philips Hue lighting hub, TV, DAC, Streamer, Preamp, Class A Tube Amp, all daisy chained on the same circuit, I’ve never had an issue overloading the circuit.  That said, I do realize the importance of having a direct/dedicated line that will negate any interference/noise these other (non 2 channel) gear may be introducing in to the system.

The electrician rolled his eyes when I said that I preferred 10 awg wire.  He said that was overkill.  I was confident in that stand until I called 3 independent Hifi dealers and they all said the same thing—go for 12 awg.  I am just thinking out loud, if I were to drop the idea of a second dedicated line because of all the complication of routing and keeping wires equidistant from the breaker and away from other lines, then does it make sense to make up the loss by actually sticking with 10 awg.  In other words, does it make sense to go all out, if I am only concentrating on one run.  I get the sense that electricians dislike working with 10 awg wires, because its a PITA to deal with but if it’s not too much extra over 12 awg, I wonder if it’s something to consider.  Besides Paul from PS Audio though, I can’t recall any other audiophile being so adamant about a 10 awg run.

I’ve also heard some people talk about separate earth/ground rods for 2 channel.  Is that a thing or does the existing ground rod sufficient to tap in to?

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 01/19/23 at 00:59:32

Before I answer this post, I must respond to MichaelG in regard to hardwiring All The Way an amp, directly to the incoming AC power at the wall location. Before I shout No! as you might expect, let me address the idea to begin with. I assume that your idea/attempt is to make the AC path as short as possible, and maximize it with no unnecessary AC connection. Reasonably speaking, even if were done, I can't think of a single benefit for it. Having said that, a proper connection from the wall outlet (read tight) will address any issue to begin with. Same with the connection at the amp. I have in the past hard wired a power amp with an internally connected AC cable (remember those?) of sufficient size and then put a decent male plug on the end. So it may not be apparent to you that a hardwired connection directly to the amp offers absolutely no safety i.e. a quick unplugging of the unit. I have actually had to do that once and haul the offending smoking unit outside! A bit scary. With that reasoning why even have a circuit breaker that impedes current past a certain level and then disconnects/trips?
I will offer this observation about a vacuum cleaner that I own. It is a quality unit, but even so, when using it for a prolonged period, the male AC plug gets a little warm. Why? Because the manufacturer of the machine doesn't want a heavy cord and really is pushing the envelope for what is actually required. This amounts to starving that vacuum motor wanting 7 Continuous Amps! of current with much less. The weak point is at the plug and heat will build up in result of a male AC plug that barely passes muster, not to mention the 16 gauge cord that is 15 feet long!
Ok, so noting that as an example, more would be beneficial for increasing the gauge of the cord and making a much better connection at the wall... juxtaposed is that unless the amplifier in question is asking for a huge amount of continuous current (not peak current), diminishing returns quickly result in the increase in gauge or hard wiring as you have asked.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/19/23 at 01:43:28

Not sure I can add much, but I did use 10awg and a 20 amp breaker when I installed my dedicated line. I had the wire already, so why not use it.

Before I did the dedicated line I was getting pops when the bathroom fan upstairs turned on or off, the AC compressor - pop, furnace, pop. I added a Furman and it tamed it. Since my box is behind the wall near where I wanted the outlet it wasn't a long run and I had also had access to the back of the wall.  I ran the line and added a PS port port outlet. No more noise.

Within the last year I upgraded power cables. Well, I was about 5' short to the outlet. Dammit. Opened the outlet box and made an extension whip out of more 10awg. I used a PVC jacket to cover the wire and mounted the outlet next to the rack. This can be easily undone if we move. When I added the whip I also added a $35 Monosaudio outlet from Amazon. I can't tell a difference between it and the PS Power Port.

10awg IS a pain to work with and the electrician may be keeping cost in consideration when shaking his head. If I didn't have the 10awg, would I have bought it? Probably, since I only needed maybe 15' of it for the run.

For me and the equipment I had/have, anything more than adding a dedicated line was overkill in my head. Everyone's situation is different.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 01/19/23 at 01:46:43

Ok now, where were we? Let me be clear as to what it was that I had done to my property concerning incoming electrical power. I bought an old house built in 1930. Right there, that should tell you about my concern for getting power service up to code. The city didn't address it because no one had complained, but the three separate cloth covered wires feeding my house not only were out of date but came through a large pine tree as well. When the city arrived I explained that this was an obvious fire hazard so there was no denying it from their end. And I also pointed out that the other four houses on that circuit were ALSO being feed by the same outdated wires! They love me. Lastly I pointed out that the transformer feeding these houses was new, but ironically it was using the secondary wires that were out of date. I remained patient with them but firm. They replaced all the AC cables to every house and ran the proper twisted cable to each house as it should be. No poles were replaced, because there was no need (in my past life with the phone company I was a lineman). At the house itself, a new 100 amp breaker panel was installed. Had a moment with the electrician when i told him to run copper wire in the power riser that would be connected to the incoming power cable from the pole. "Yah but it will cost more." was his answer. "And I will gladly pay." was my reply. This thinking went all the way to the AC outlets, using pro grade outlets and not the cheapies. I could go on and on but you get my thinking, right?

Next, anyone wants to use 10 ga. wire can be my guest. It has a 30 amp rating. But what gets me is it is possible to make new trouble when trying to connect it to a regular outlet. They are not made for it. Yes, you can 'pigtail' a 12 ga. wire from it to the AC outlet, but then you have diminished the supposed gain of the heavier gauge. 12 ga. is rated for 20 amps so realize that it has been approved over many years as not being a mistake or underestimating its ability. The components that you mentioned in your system had negligible current draw in most cases, and even the total draw would likely be less than 10 amps. Each product has a rating printed somewhere on the rear of the unit. Add them all together to get an idea of what the actual draw will be. Then remember, in one case as the Decware amp it may be a 3 amp slow blow fuse. That means that it will take a fuse current of 3 amps with peaks to a point. The peaks run higher but how much do we want to stretch this story?
Paul Mcgowen will support the idea of 10 ga. AC runs on the assumption that you are using his high current amplifiers in multiples no less! If you are actually pulling 20 hard amps of current, then yup, run 10 ga. wire with a 30 amp breaker, right? FWIW, your electric dryer uses 30 amps of current at 220 Volts, so 15 amps per leg. THEN 10 ga. is used for each leg just in case I guess. Think about that.

Last point here is please for the love of Pete ignore all those who want to use separate ground rods for their audio system. It is likely unlawful in your state to do so unless there are special circumstances. A sub panel with a separate AC circuit might warrant such an exception, but in the end, the sub panel is causing new problems that you won't have by just running a continuous AC line straight to the AC outlet in the house.

Sorry for the long posts, but I feel the need to be descriptive as possible with a potentially dangerous situation. Not that the electrician would go along with some of these recommendations in the first place.

Good that you are asking these questions now though instead of as an afterthought.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/19/23 at 02:35:05

4krow—your thorough feedback with excellent examples is highly appreciated.  You have convinced me to stick with 12 ga. Wire.  Paul’s motivations for 10 ga. Wire made a lot of sense when you put it that way.  I definitely want to do my research and educate myself before messing with the room again and your feedback has been invaluable. Hopefully, it’s also useful to others who might be in the same boat.

As for rods, I was just curious since I noticed a number of audiophiles recommending it while also admitting that it might be illegal.  Looks like they didn’t care.  Again, more of a curiosity than anything else. Not touching that with a 10 ft. Pole. Grin

Thinking out loud—I wonder if there is a more acoustically optimal way to shield the 12 ga. Wire inside the room vs. using a metal conduit.  I wonder if it would cause unwanted reflections…

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/19/23 at 02:59:45

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here FWIW...

When renovating the lower level I had a dedicated line from the panel to the receptacle.  The house is new so the cabling to the panel is new.  The electrician was a commercial electrician of some local repute.  When discussing cable gauge he felt that even 12 gauge was overkill, until he paused and said "voltage drop and variation.  Normally not a factor but for your equipment it probably is."  At that point he recommended 12 gauge and yes he installed a GFCI Breaker, he didn't discuss that with me and I didn't ask.  The breaker is a 15 amp not 20 and I have had no issues with that.

I chose to have 10 gauge from the breaker to the hospital grade receptacle.  No problem connecting it.  I chose to do that not on any electrical knowledge or expertise.  I figured if I'm going to run 10 gauge power cable from the receptacle to the filter and then the amp, for the difference in cost, I might as well run 10 gauge from the breaker.  That was my reasoning and not a recommendation or a suggestion that it's a must to run 10 gauge from the breaker.

Now as far as noise is concerned.  That's a completely different matter.  First, I don't think it's always practical or necessary to give a significant separation between the runs if there are going to be two.  But at some point noise entering the power line whether coming into the house or from within absolutely needs to be addressed. My recent experience has proven that to me.  First with ethernet and now with power cables.  

The problem is that we do not identify RFI and EMI noise as we would ground loop noise.  It manifests itself as an etched or hard effect that we often associate with a make/type of cable or tube or worse as resolution that we may think is the leading edge of the attack. We can only clearly identify it when it's gone and even then some thinking is involved because of our previous conclusions and biases on this.

Recently I installed a Puritan PSM 156 and the difference it made in the power supply was as obvious and significant as what the Muon System did for the ethernet stream.  It came with the Puritan Shielded Classic power cable.  I tried it on my UFO25 and it was not sufficient for it as it's a 15 gauge cable.  But on the DAC, and Lumin U2 Mini, the difference was nothing short of dramatic.  It's a mil spec shielded cable.  

As a result I am now changing all my DHC1 cables which supply the Puritan filter, UFO25, CSP3-A.  I've ordered the new DHC3 for those.  I'm starting off with two, might order a third.

So, from the receptacle forward, eventually, all the cables will be filtered and shielded after identifying what noise does in the power supply.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/19/23 at 03:43:28

JOMAN—what a coincidence!

For the past 24 hrs, I’ve been obsessing over the Puritan Audio conditioner. I first noticed it as a teaser in Hi-Fi Cave’s YT video and then went down a rabbit hole of looking at their live demos from various trade shows over the past couple of years and was utterly gobsmacked at the difference I was seeing.  Then I also saw the video from Steve Hoffman who said that it was one of the best purchases he’s made in the past decade or so and that it outperformed his previous Power Plant, which is like 4x the price.  It was the only solution that completely eliminated his transformer hum.  Notable mention was the video from OCD Mickey, who as jaded as he is about 2 channel gear, was also speechless when he tested it in his rig.

Add to that two excellent reviews from Moon Audio and Stereotimes, I’m just flabbergasted that more ppl aren’t shouting the brands’ name from the rooftops.

As I was trying to get my ducks in a row for a dedicated circuit, I was thinking that maybe I won’t need such a device after a dedicated run. You just absolved me of that notion. I was thinking of e-mailing the company to confirm that it would work on a 20 amp circuit, but looks like that is the case.

Didn’t understand the point about the Decware cables not working. Can you elaborate? How will the new cables help?

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #11 - 01/19/23 at 04:43:09

Kamran,

I have to keep this short for now…I’ll try to elaborate in another post.

I just had my house built  from the ground up.  I have a single home run 15 amp line going from the panel to my PS Audio  Soloist outlet.  One receptacle houses my tube amp, and the other goes to an older monster power conditioner…..which was like $700 back 15 years ago.  So it not really audiophile grade… but it works and I’m happy with the results….That’s where the rest of my audio equipment is plugged into.  

The distance run for the home run line was really short…something like 8-10 feet, so I was ok with running 12 gauge wire.  Otherwise I was going to run 10 gauge.  I had the electrician measure the noise on both legs of the panel….and made sure that the line going to my amp was installed on the quieter leg.  I can say that both my Torii and my Zen amp are quiet when plugged in, and no hum is detectable from my speakers.

In terms of Ethernet….my audio guy ran CAT 6a cable  lines in my house 3 feet away from any electrical lines.

More to come in another post….or I’ll edit and add to this one.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/19/23 at 04:54:51

Thanks for sharing Dominick—would love to know more when you get a chance. I’m estimating a run of at least 25ft. Just from the back of the room (where the panel is) to the front wall is 17 ft.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 01/19/23 at 04:57:07

Kamran,

The DHC1 power cables are not shielded.  So in that regard they could pick up EMI and RFI noise.  That's why the DHC2 and DHC3 were introduced.

The cable that comes with the puritan is their 2 meter Classic Shielded cable and is terminated with a 20 amp Schurter IEC.  Even though it's a 20 amp IEC on the main supply, all the other sockets are 15 amp plugs.  It was far too long to be used as the supply cable for the PSM156 as it is positioned in the very limited space.

So I took one of the extra DHC1 cables that I had, took the 20 amp Schurter IEC that was on the puritan cable and put it on the shorter DHC1 then used it to supply the PSM156.  I put a 15 amp IEC on the puritan Classic and put it as the power supply to my Lumin U2 Mini.  What was supplying the Lumin before that was an unshielded DHC1.  Well the difference was dramatic. I concluded that the difference between the two cables was mainly due to one being shielded and the other unshielded.

Next I had to try the Puritan on my UFO25.  The DHC1 was much better in that case.  I attributed that to its 10 gauge mil spec construction.  Remember that all the cables were filtered from the receptacle by PSM 156 so even the unshielded DHC1 would have benefited from the noise being eliminated at the receptacle but the unshielded DHC1's from the receptacle and from the Puritan could still be affected by EMI and RFI.  That's why I'm getting the DHC3 cables, so that the supply cable from the receptacle to the PSM156  and then from the PSM 156 are all  shielded. Consequently anything being picked up from the breaker to the receptacle should not be a factor.

The journey is not over.  I'll be posting once it is.  What I will tell you is that the PSM 156 needs at least 25 hours to really show what it can do.  AND, while it will do its... magic?... at the receptacle, the runs from it to the components must be routed properly and also be shielded.  It won't fix problems that are caused within the components themselves only those that come to the components.

As far as hum is concerned.  The 60Hz transformer hum is so inconsequential  now.  Yes if I put my ear onto the speaker grill (literally) and position it directly in line with the driver I can hear a transformer hum.  As I did that (yes I'm an idiot) I heard faint buzz that I believe is a ground loop in one of my components.  It was likely there all along but masked by the transformer hum.  Can I hear it if I'm standing at the speaker... NO!  

Does it bother me that it's there even though it has absolutely no effect on the performance, and I'm only bothered because I know it's there but can't hear unless my ear is very close to the speaker grill and I actually have to hunt for it?  I'm working on me now... so don't be like me!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #14 - 01/19/23 at 05:17:29

Oh….one more point I forgot to mention……I run an Earthcalm whole home EMF protector which is based off the Schumann Resonance frequency cycles.  It’s an older version….but I have been using this way before my Decware system.  

This is a whole another topic of conversation that needs its own discussion….but I can say I noticed some major changes in the way my body responded after it was installed.  I firmly believe this has a direct correlation to my audio system.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 01/19/23 at 05:20:56

Forgot to mention... My Pioneer Elite Kuro is plugged into the same duplex receptacle as is the Puritan PSM 156 on the dedicated line.  It's not plugged into the PSM 156.  Since the Puritan PSM 156 was installed the colour rendition, saturation, depth and contrast improved noticeably.  

So yes the PSM 156 does eliminate noise at the receptacle and from the receptacle.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 01/19/23 at 05:38:35

Yes, that’s exactly what I read in a review that anything attached to that receptacle to which the PSM 156 is plugged into also gets cleaned up. Though, I’ve also heard Shunyata Noise Reduction power cords having the same affect.

Speaking of Shunyata, they definitely have the street cred and the tech to probably go toe to toe with Puritan but at the expense of astronomically high prices. I do have the Venom 10 NR saved in my hifi shark searches looking for a deal to come by.

This is such a fascinating topic. So much to explore.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #17 - 01/19/23 at 17:11:11

I am also fascinated by AC current and electricity in general. You would think that more people would have this fascination but most just shrug their shoulders and turn on the light switch.
 So, after reading the numerous responses to this thread, I have little to offer. I am glad that we have discussed these things so far without getting crazy/stupid. No name calling or anything of the sort. On other forums I just give up.
Ok, I am going to stick to the original topic in spite of having some views about other things mentioned. Here is the last point on my mind, and was brought up in one of the posts here. Yes, One leg of the incoming AC power at the breaker box may in fact have more noise than the other. Good point to keep in mind. Also take note for those who want 2 or more dedicated lines. My opinion is that all dedicated lines should be on the same phase at the breaker box. While this may seem simple, it is counter intuitive to note that the same phase of incoming AC power is on every OTHER breaker position. For example breaker positions 1, 3, and 5 are on the same phase. Yah, me and you both would have thought that all breaker positions on the left side of the panel would be one phase, and all breakers on the right side of the breaker panel would be the opposite phase. Fortunately, your electrician knows this, so when you make your request, he will wire accordingly. The devil IS in the details.

Good subject and responses. Glad to see this.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 01/19/23 at 19:07:56

I might have gotten lucky when I bought this home last year.
The house was built in 2002 and we have a 200Amp service.
There are dedicated lines with 20A breakers for each room and in some cases multiples, for instance the kitchen has three not counting the 220V service for the range. One is shared with outdoor GFCIs, though.

The family "great room" has four circuits including plugs, fans and lighting options. Believe me, it took a while to map this shit out when I first moved in. I had sticky notes everywhere trying to figure out what did what!

My little sunroom turned into sound room has two, but one has a ceiling fan and the backdoor lighting fixture on it. The other circuit is dedicated to the wall outlets, but an additional could be a benefit, I suppose.

There is a dedicated line added long ago to power the out of date Direct TV sat system that once lived here. I wonder if that circuit could be re-routed to my room as a second line for pure wall power.

Still, I would not say the service is clean, even though there are no poles or above ground transformers anywhere. All the cabling is underground in this little 'burg, except for some above ground access points for cable or old dead AT&T stuff and such.

If I was going to "add" something it might be a better grounding scheme than what we have going on here.

I wonder if there has been much thought to this "arm" of the electrical circuitry we have to live with.

I manage with just my older power filter, as long as I keep my sensitive cables about two feet away from the "concrete" grounding circuit in my room.
We've all seen the little two or three inch cable lifters, but it actually takes  a couple more squares of distance to make the difference I need from the grounding circuit, here.

I have not tried things without the Kleenline, but then, I have not done anything without it for about forty years.
Smiley

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #19 - 01/19/23 at 21:11:34

A good grounding system is essential......

I watched Mr. Fremer' YouTube video on what he did at his home on this subject.  He went so far as to import electric exports from the West Coast to get what he does with everything.  That said, there was some very good information in the video.

The "experts" were very explicate about having a good grounding system.

As to power conditioners and such "Be sure you are not fixing a problem that you do not have".

Small treated room
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #20 - 01/19/23 at 22:32:57

Paul2,

Yes, I remember reading about Mr. Fremer's AC system before and after the total rebuild in Stereophile magazine. As expected, I do have a thought or two about this. It bothers me that Mr. Fremer has had an electrical system that was so poor for years to audition and review many audio products over this time. His corroded connections and just about everything else was near disaster for 'clean power! What if Car &Driver tested a sports car on a dirt road?
 Each electrical system may have a special need here or there, mostly referring to ground. I am not going to go into this very deep except to say that each situation has a 'right way' to be dealt with. This is mostly in consideration of the soil conditions, maybe humidity, and even the water table.   Where I live is what we call a high desert. Not so hot but moisture/precipitation is low. About 7 inches a year but usually less. The soil in my part of the town is a sandy loam, meaning it won't hold moisture as well as say a clay type soil. Ok, so what did I do about my situation? It was a fortunate thing that I have a water well very near to the house. It is 25 feet deep, with a VERY heavy iron pipe extending the whole length. Pretty obvious to anyone interested in a great ground to 'tap' into this pipe as the ultimate ground rod. The bottom of the pipe likely sits in water as there is a very large irrigation ditch that runs by our house maybe 50 yards away. By now you get my point. I really don't worry about the quality of the ground that I have. This is, of course, in addition to the Power Company's 10 foot long copper ground rod (which, by the way, they couldn't pound all the way down so about 3 feet of it is parallel to the surface of the ground). Not good, but that is what you have to watch for every freaking step of the way if you aren't doing it yourself.
Whew. Another long winded response, yet in order to be clear, you have to 'make clear'.

IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #21 - 01/19/23 at 23:10:27

^^^^ All good points ^^^^

I could go on for hours with this subject.  I have to learn all this stuff the hard way.  Thankfully time heals "some" wounds.

Small treated room
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 01/19/23 at 23:18:55

I have had variable power voltage and variable noise for years, sometimes pretty good, and sometimes not. Usually it runs for longer periods of time rather than day and night being starkly different (like many seem to suffer). I have my own transformer here, but it shares utility power with 16 other homes and their individual transformers on the power company "loop" that covers our road.

I am using three power "filter" setups, all of them fine tuned with some better parts and having really nice cords feeding them, those cables fine tuned for the work too. Those that were not purpose built and therefore tuned to musical transparency made the originals a lot more resolving, fast, and musical... and the benefits add up.

It starts with a Mapleshade receptacle, not in your face bold sounding, or warm, or anything (like many audio plugs), but the most transparent and resolving receptacle I have tried here. Then there is a 500 watt Chinese production balanced power supply that is really nicely made. The balanced transformer feeds a PSA P5 used mainly for amps, but a few other things. I got it for voltage regulation, the specific voltage really effecting the sound of my Decware amp's tones and densities, especially if the swings are more than one volt, or if the voltage is running high, like 123. I have an Audio Brickwall straight into the Mapleshade receptacle for sources. I also have some mineral noise adjusters scattered around, and built into cables, and a couple filter plugs, one Shunyata for sources, and one Furutech in the P5.

None of this solved the transformer noise from my Decware, improved in some cases, but more effective here was putting properly tuned-to-sound caps across the AC of the amps.

That said, I don't think this place is that bad in terms of negative sound from noise other than transformer noise... Back in the day anyway, it sounded pretty resolving without any of my power treatment relative to transparency and revelation. But it all helps when fine tuned for sure here. Especially in subtler areas it is notably better at allowing the finer nuanced information, and with stable/selectable voltage and phase from the P5, it leads to consistent and nicely tunable sound.

For periods (like now) I can hardly hear transformer hum except near the amps, and a little in the speakers with ear right there, but really not an issue for me. But sometimes, it can get loud enough to bug me. Probably hyper sensitive as it never seems bad enough to do notable damage to the musical experience, but in these noisier periods, for movies where the amps are almost maxed, during silence, I can just pick it up at the seat... irritating to me.

I have had tubes, and ground loops effect noise too, so it can be a pain to sort. But speaking of ground, I have been thinking my noise variability is perhaps largely due to dryness! I live in high desert also, and if the ground rod for the house gets dry, it seems then my noise can go up, sometimes notably. It took me a long time to consider "watering" the ground rod area as a first step, but I started to notice that in drier periods with the nearby hose bib not leaking, if it rained or snowed for a spell, or if we had a leak at the irrigation bib, it would seem fine.... Not conclusive, but I think a good guess, so I need to test the theory next time it gets more noisy... start by watering the ground!

It may be this power and room, but I have a number of shielded power cables and a number that are not, those not shielded having geometry and passive filtering designed for noise cancelation and some RF/EMF protections. Last time I tried, I could not hear notable (noise) differences between these "unshielded" and shielded cables. I don't doubt some rooms might need heavier atmospheric noise shielding, just not my experience here, and I do have wired internet, with ethernet to fiber to ethernet filtering... no wifi in the house knowingly.

I have not explored 12 versus 10 gauge on an independent line as this is an adobe house and hard to add hidden wire runs. Also seeming to have pretty good power relatively speaking keeps me lazier. And my power cleaning setup has gotten really good!

But one day I expect I will try to make a 10 gauge cryo'd dedicated run... leading me to.....

One thing that occurs to me reading this thread is that it seems perhaps a little more focussed on decisions based on current/voltage tech over sound?... and these may or may not correlate. I have explored a lot of cable designs, and gauge always influences the sound whether ICs, power cables, or interior hookup wires for amp power or signal... all with my low AC power consuming system and gear.... I am miles from combined gear rated specs even approaching my audio plug's wire gauge or receptacle specs...

And this is not to say 10 might conclusively sound better than 12 gauge... but it implies to me that it could, and that it likely would effect the sound one way or another even if way overkill for AC current and voltage. Better or worse sound, can't say. With power cables I have made, a little too big gauge-wise, and all else the same, the sound gets thicker and darker. Too light gauge, leaner with less punch... And right in the middle is always a nice balance all round.

But why would I use 10 gauge here??? A guy who I learned a lot from over time has some of the most refined and discerning listening methods and skillsets I have run across, and he has heard and set up lots and lots of high end gear and systems (one of the Tranquility DAC developers). Last I asked him, he preferred 10 gauge cryo'd for a dedicated run... He AB tests everything before making assumptions or declarations, usually many times, and typically gets corroboration from his small clan of other audio heads he trusts to hear balances and subtle information exceptionally well... As far as I know he too is not close maxing out the ratings for 10 gauge runs. Just a little more for the thought pot.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 01/20/23 at 03:45:53

Quote:
One thing that occurs to me reading this thread is that it seems more focussed on decisions based on current/voltage tech versus sound... and these may or may not correlate. I have explored a lot of cable designs, and gauge always influences the sound whether ICs, power cables, or interior hookup wires for amp power or signal... all with my low AC power consuming system and gear.... I am miles from combined gear rated specs even approaching my audio plug's wire gauge or receptacle specs...

Will, thanks for sharing.  This is certainly food for thought.

Quote:
But why would I use 10 gauge here??? A guy who I learned a lot from over time has some of the most refined and discerning listening methods and skillsets I have run across, and he has heard and set up lots and lots of high end gear and systems (one of the Tranquility DAC developers). Last I asked him, he preferred 10 gauge cryo'd for a dedicated run... He AB tests everything before making assumptions or declarations, usually many times, and typically gets corroboration from his small clan of other audio heads he trusts to hear balances and subtle information exceptionally well... As far as I know he too is not close maxing out the ratings for 10 gauge runs. Just a little more for the thought pot.

Hmm…definitely something to consider.

The general impression I’m getting is that that 10 ga. Is a PITA to install and as per 4krow, might have to be pigtailed to fit in to a standard 15/20 amp receptacle. That certainly bothers me.  Just today, I received delivery of Shunyata’s SR-Z1 high end outlets.

https://shunyata.com/products/accessories/sr-z1-outlets/

They are basically hospital grade outlets made by Hubbell to Shunyata’s specs.  In addition they are cryo’d.

My concern is that if my electrician cannot make a clean home run between the breaker and the termination point of the above outlet, using a 10 ga. Wire, then I’m gravitating towards a 12 ga. Wire.  If he has to pigtail it to fit this outlet, doesn’t it defeat the purpose as 4krow suggested?  I’ve also e-mailed Shunyata just now asking them same question whether their outlet can accept a 10 gauge wire (since they also recommend 10 ga. Wire runs).

I also discovered this retailer that specializes in cryo’d power cord and supply wire.

https://www.vhaudio.com/wire.html#bulkacwire

I’m wondering whether to order it from here myself vs. depending on the electrician to choose like whatever wire his heat desires.  Looks like all of their wires are cryo’d, which is probably a plus.  I wonder though, considering they sell 10 ga. Wire, there must be a way to make it fit inside an outlet without splicing it to a lower gauge wire.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #24 - 01/20/23 at 04:08:42

I wired a large leather shop with 10 ga. It was awful, but this case, the runs were long and I convinced the owner that this was the right thing to do given the length. Having said that there are receptacles that the wire doesn't have to be wound around a screw/bolt, and that is half the battle. [To yet again be clear about this, I am NOT talking about those cheapo outlets that have a hole that stick the wire into but are NOT tightened by a screw, they should be illegal) If it is wound around like that, you actually feel the outlet grieve (I mean to say I am surprised that it did not mechanically fail given the small space that everything has to be put back into). So, if you go this route, at least get a decent sized electrical box to bend this evil solid conductor. Just my opinion. And then probably there are holes in the back of the outlet where you can stick the wire straight in and those same screws will tighten down on that. I highly recommend this procedure rather than trying to get them around a screw that they barely fit anyway. IME, a tip about flattening the wire before it is put into the hole on the back of the outlet golden. You simply compress the 10 ga. with smooth jawed pliers so that there is greater contact in the outlet. That way you won't be trying compress the fat wire with those screws in the outlet. I would go so far as to say that no harm would be done by using TWO outlets in a 4 plex box instead of the regular single. Weird that I say that? Consider this>>> when you try clamp only one wire in an outlet hole, the pressure is uneven on one side. By adding another wire (that goes to the second outlet in the same box) there is a wire on BOTH sides of the clamping nut, allowing the screw thread to pull evenly. This will work even better since you have already partially flattened the 10 ga. wire to begin with. Just had to say something about this before you pull the trigger. I have nothing against 10 ga. in theory, but unless you actually worked with it, you can't know what a demon it can be, sometimes ending up in a compromised connection.
FWIW, even though the wires that worked at the phone company offices were stranded, each strand was probably about 16 ga. resulting in just one conductor being the size of your thumb and much larger when needed. There was a very particular practice for ALL connections that we made.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 01/20/23 at 04:24:52

Edit: I wrote this as 4K was writing, so not in response to his post... I am bad not to check responses before posting!

I can't say for sure not having a 10 gauge wire, but I am guessing that most after market receptacles may allow 10 gauge wire, and a box that can accommodate the heavier wire is out there. So perhaps a PITA, but guessing doable. Also, a well done pigtail, if needed, I think could be relatively transparent, especially if short and at the end of a larger wire run. That said, whether 12 or 10 sounds notably better in a given setup, can't say. I have just found that with everything I have tried based on my friend's considered conclusions from his testing, though we may or may not ultimately agree initially on specific conclusions, what we hear is always very similar, and once our solutions are tested, tend to agree. So I trust him toward helping me fill my needs when delving into something I have no experience with.

And though he was fine with cryo'd 10 gauge Romex, I don't doubt from my many experiments with finer wires, a few varieties of UPOCC specifically, that you can gain from more refined wire drawing and purity pretty much anywhere used. Now whether that or similar might be enough improvement to be worth added costs on a AC wire run, again, I have no experience. But it would not surprise me if the in-wall Romex wire VHAudio sells could be a step more resolving and have more complex speed capabilities without breaking the bank, especially on short runs.

All hypothesis here though. That said, I find that Chris at VHAudio is responsive and informative about his stuff, and not particularly high priced for what it is, so might be worth emailing for his opinions. Seems he depends on us agreeing with him with his relatively small business. And though at times I find myself a little divergent in ultimate sonic conclusions, I think his long experience with early UPOCC adoption and cryo, and making highly respected caps, etc.... was innovative and awake, and I personally respect what he has done, and is doing.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 01/20/23 at 04:37:26

Thanks, 4krow, no rush to pull the trigger until I get all this figured out.  This has been enlightening.  If the 10 ga. Wires can be flattened to fit in to the outlet, that gives me hope.

Will: I’m excited that you’re familiar with VH Audio and can back up their expertise/integrity.  I actually was planning on speaking with them as well. I filled out their contact form hours ago and hoping to get in touch with them tomorrow.

IP Logged
Ahb3u
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 01/20/23 at 11:28:53

https://www.msbtechnology.com/faq/house-power/

When I first started this hobby, I found this paper.  I implemented the ideas and found a difference the size of upgrading a component.  My brother changed the 20 amp circuit breaker between the Home Depot and a heavy silver connection breaker.  He blind tested me and I was correct in naming the breaker 5/6 times fwiw!

jim@soundapplication.com is a guy who makes great power conditioners.  While not on his website, he does make audiophile outlets that will accept even 6awg wire. Just email him and he will get what you want to you.

It seems the length of run defines who might benefit from larger wire.  I had a 60 foot run.  He recommended 6g 19 stranded for many reasons.  I stuck with 10 g solid romex when I moved my sound room because it was easier to acquire and I was happy with the result I had had with what was previously installed.  Who knows?

By the way, I had 20 amp hubbell HBL5362 20A receptacles. I bought one cryo’d and one not. I bought them at dedicatedaudio.com.   I listened to both once. Only once since it is a pain.  I left the cryo’d one but I am uncertain I really could tell any difference.

Andy

EtherRegen/AfterDark Double Emperor clock> Innuos Zenith SE> Phoenix USB reclocker>Modwright Oppo205 and TD125>VosneRomanee>SE84ufo25> Caintuck Magnum Lii F15, Rel S510, Townshend Supertweeters and vibration control; Sound Application SA-XE Line power conditioner
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 01/20/23 at 12:05:12

Thanks Andy. I been following this thread wondering if anyone was going to hit on the real root of needs for a heavier gauge wire to supply line voltage to audio amps. Also trying to figure on the best way to word it. The article link you posted is a must read for anyone who wants to understand the demands that an amp puts on the power supply!

Smiley

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 01/20/23 at 14:13:41

Andy—thanks for sharing this fantastic article!

John: Good to hear from ya!

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 01/20/23 at 16:24:35

One additional comment from me FWIW...

For the most part I fully agree with what was stated in the paper and have tried to do as much as is possible and I also agree on the matter of attention to the connections at all junctures.

But I STRONGLY disagree with the first statement in the following quote:

Quote:
I don’t recommend line conditioners on amplifiers when the system is done as described above. It is generally better to go straight into the wall. But if you do use a line conditioner be sure it has NO CURENT or WATTAGE LIMITS and it is a straight-through design with any filtering elements ACROSS the line.

I fully agree with the following statements that a power conditioner must be non current limiting and must not add to or shape the signal in any manner.

The reason for a power conditioner is the same, in part, as is the reason for going to shielded cables as are the DHC3 and DHC2.  There are other factors as well.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #31 - 01/20/23 at 17:23:44

Again, thanks to all that have posted here. I truly love this particular subject and look forward to more responses.
 So, after reading the article posted above, I found that I agreed with far more than I would question or disagree with. In fact, if it were feasible to run a large set of AC conductors without issue, I would likely be the first to do so. I have in the past run such cabling for use in my shop. This of course was mostly due to the fact that I own a welder, a big table saw, and sometimes use an electric heater. That should be reason enough, right? It is obvious that the actual current draw requirements here are considerable. So, do I encourage the use of larger conductors where the need is less? Yes, in fact I would, in the big picture. You might say 'what would it hurt?' is my reasoning for this as a whole. The only limiting factor has to do with the actual installation and compensation of the actual wire and connections.
 So, with practical caution stated above, it would be my preference to go overboard rather than to undersize the need to begin with. If I had my way and no one else cared, there would be a sizable AC flush mounted in the listening room. It would house 10 ga. wire and connect to 2 AC duplex receptacles as described in a previous post. I would not use higher than a 20 amp. breaker out of safety concerns, but the idea of buying a quality breaker to begin with is a good idea. The actual outlet that I use for my systems power is, in fact a PS Audio outlet. I liked the construction of them from the beginning and the cost never should be so high as some of the outlets out there.
This is a picky point, but since we keep discussing the current flow of power amps and all related equipment, the actual blade of a power cord needs to be solid. No holes punched into it. This was one of the main reasons that I chose PS Audio cords to begin with. The blades were THICK and completely solid. That should say it all right there if you are concerned with current flow.
 The topic of power conditioners and power regenerators is probably best discussed in another thread, even though I have a passion for that topic as well. What I mean is that this topic mainly concerns what Basis that should be considered for the entry point to the audio system of AC power. That means to me that this topic is mostly concerned with what will be a Permanent Installation as compared to the swapping out of cable conditioners, etc. Yes, I do believe that every connection in a system has merit, but is to be concerned/discussed is sections/blocks if you will.
Interestingly, as I was reading Robert Harley's 'The complete guide to High End Audio' book today, I found only one or two paragraphs about AC power connections/wall receptacles! All the other writing was concerning power conditioners and cables and more. That is a little disappointing considering that we must first base our systems on providing the best path for AC to begin with.
OTOH, some out there go to great lengths to try and establish their opinions about this subject based more on what they hear than what they can measure. In truth, the end result must consider what WE Ourselves can hear and measure, if you get my point. What might have been my goal 20 years ago in audio has changed, frankly due to me progressing in age and hearing, not to mention a change in state of mind in comparison. So, to some degree 'scientific' measurements have a basis as a start, but are hand in hand with my abilities and preferences.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 01/20/23 at 23:35:46

This has become such a great thread.  I have some updates:

Communicated with Chris from VHAudio.  His responses were enlightening and I will recreate it here for the benefit of all:

Q: Assuming you see no problems with the wires being routed outside the interior wall vs. inside?  

No problem, not as long as your electrician says it’s OK, and meets code.

Q: How important is it for both wires to be of the same length?

Not very important UNLESS you will be operating monobloc amps with one amp on each circuit. I like to maintain symmetry for each L & R channel. Otherwise, the different lengths won’t matter much...

Q: How important is it for both wires to be at least a foot apart so as not to introduce unwanted  RFI/EMI?

The magnetic fields decrease logarithmically with distance, so just a few inches is fine. In many homes, the lines are all bundled together, so it’s not a huge deal...

Q: Will the 10 gauge wire accommodate some bending? As you can see, that side wall is not a straight shot to the front of the room.  We will need to navigate multiple bends before we reach the front.

Yes, although I’d try to avoid an acute bend like an “L” and go with a more gentle bendlike a “J”

Hopefully, this is helpful for other enthusiasts….

Separately, I got a confirmation from Shunyata that their outlets are actually designed with 10 awg in mind so making a clean connection without pigtailing isn’t an issue.

I am meeting with a licensed electrician (hopefully, this weekend). I explained to him what I was trying to do and even sent him the MSB Article and VH Audio’s website so he can see what wire I want to order.  

More to come!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #33 - 01/21/23 at 00:47:13

Very good sir, thank you for this information. It eases my mind that you have done research about this (10 ga. wire and how it should be handled). It is something that can be formed with care, But not force, like I see some do putting into the receptacle box. I still recommend using at least a deeper box because of this, but given this new information that you have provided, I think that all will go in the right direction.
Keep us posted as things come about.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 01/21/23 at 10:55:59

I see your jumping in head over heels Kamran Wink Your enthusiasm brings back reminiscent memories of discoveries made when embarking on my journey in audio.

4krow's concerns are legit when it comes to wiring 10 gauge wire using 20 amp devices. It may be a tuff sale for your electrican to go along with. He may want to charge a premium for this or pass. Two 12 gauge romex loosely twisted, if space permits, could be used that would give a 9 gauge net. I ran 3 circuits to the back of my audio equipment. One is a home run for the audio. The other two were parallel circuits running down the walls feeding outlets in the Charoit. I use the two to plug in the TV and non related equipment(read electrical noisy devices like wall warts and such).

I really don't see any purpose of cryo treated romex wiring. But if one wants to spend the extra and it gives peace of mind Smiley

Good luck!

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 01/21/23 at 16:55:06

I just got one of those tablet oscilloscopes and thought that some of the measurements of the AC power lines might be of interest here. I did these on the three Chariot circuits using a 1500 watt heater as a load.

One measurement was taken from the circuit feeding the right side of the Charoit with the heater attached to it. Starting with the heater off the voltage was 123v - On 118v

Next the heater was plugged into the left circuit feeding the Charoit while still monitoring the right circuit with the oscilloscope. Off 123v - On 122v

Finally the oscilloscope was plugged into the middle home run circuit feeding the audio equipment. Heater was plugged into the right and left circuits with same results. Off 123v - On 122v

Leaving the oscilloscope attached to the home run circuit the capacitor bank was switched on. Heater on right and left circuits had same results. Off 124v - On 124v. Heater plugged into the home run circuit Off 124v - On 120v

The sine wave is fuller when the capacitor bank is initiated. The trailing down peak is a closer match to the rising up peak.
The peak is fuller and well formed with the capacitor bank(300uf) in the circuit.

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 01/21/23 at 17:39:54

I should have noted that my home run circuit is 40' of 12 gauge romex. 10 gauge would help bring that 4v drop down guite a bit. Go with 10 gauge!

John

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 01/21/23 at 17:57:37

John, thanks for telling us about this experiment!

Kamran,

Especially since you are moving more and more into gear with top speed and transparency, as you notice every day, each of these pretty serious gear step-ups brings more and more recorded information into your experience. With compounded improvements, how much more we hear collectively with each step up can be impressive indeed, so I feel like risking potential roadblocks for subtler revelation that may, or may not show much today, can be a real consideration as we build up our systems.

In this case, though cryo will likely always be a "debate" arena, most people I have run across with super resolving systems hear it and consider it beneficial (including me). And if a little subtle, as systems improve in complete and resolving ways, we hear more and more from what were once subtler seeming improvements.

So to me saving a little on a wire install because of "debate" about cryo becomes a bigger question. In systems where one can't really hear quality cryo for example, it would clearly not be worth it. But if that system grows to be more revealing of cryo (and other subtler sound enhancing tools), these improvements add up too, from solving old issues, and from sort of logarithmically resolving and refining subtler and critical very fine information and space. And if we saved a few dollars back when things like this were less improvement, we will have lost that opportunity after all else is more revealing. Similarly, we may have set up a lack of potential (if forgotten) that will always be there, limiting potential for the whole.

Especially in a case like this, a semi-permanent install, and since this sounds like a pretty short run.... the difference in current costs for a 25 foot roll at home depot for 10-2 w/ground and VHAudio's cryo 10 gauge, looks like less than $30 before shipping... Since we almost never hear people say they like cryo less, I personally would "risk" $30 or so in case the cryo did help.

I am with the others, not really liking hard bends with wires. Too many variables for me to know, but you know your setting and I am thinking that if you could get a shorter and more smooth run with a little sheetrock work rather than running conduit (assuming a conduit run means really hard bends), might be worth checking out. Sheetrock is a pain because of extra steps with patching and painting near the circuit box, but if you can get a nice clean run that way, may not be a lot more trouble than a longer conduit run, and it would be invisible. Just imagining out loud...

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #38 - 01/21/23 at 18:08:04

Going out on a limb here. Do they make Romex with multiple conductors, i.e. specifically 4 12 ga. conductors and 1 14 ga. for earth ground? Probably be pretty fat, but still easier to pull than separate Romex in the same conduit. But then I guess we were also discussing the running of two different Romex cables in two different conduits.
Don't mean to muddy the waters here, just trying to consider each option. The multi-conductor Romex would allow for twisting of the conductors in groups of two, leaving one conductor for earth ground. And as mentioned above, the result is actually a 9 ga. result.
Since the space heater experiment is showing continuous current as opposed to peak current, can they be compared? I do get that peak current of a large amplifier would be comparable, but am not so convinced using a 'flea watt' amp. I suppose it would also be dependent on the total system draw.  This is where I would first check every connected component of the system to add up total (not necessarily peak) amperage and then proceed with a decision from there.
Knowing me though, if I had the choice to begin with, I would just choose the 10 ga. and be done with it. I build furniture the same way, and seemingly everything else as well.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 01/21/23 at 18:31:19

4krow, I belive it all has more to do with voltage swing which boils down to resistance. Not peak current draw. With varying current draws from the amp the voltage will vary accordingly. Ohms law. We are taking minute swings in voltage on the cathode of a tube which can play havoc on music timing/harmonics which fogs the background and saps detail.

3 conductor with ground is all I've seen. I may run another 2 conductor romex to the home run circuit. Heck, I might run that new line to a different breaker on the same leg of the panel!

Will, if cryogenics can reduce electron resistance in copper then sign me up!

John

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #40 - 01/21/23 at 20:03:06

John,

Point taken. My thinking about such things extends to most of the important issues in life. I remember getting the eye roll from a contractor helping me build my fence many years ago. Every post was to be steel pipe and every post was to have 3 bags of concrete poured into a 2 ft deep hole. Steel hangers were welded by me on every post to support the wooden stringers that were lag screwed to every hanger, and on it went like that. 14 years later, the fence still looks like new, without a single post (out of 34) out of plumb.
 So, it is not a hard job to convince me to 'overbuild'.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 01/21/23 at 20:30:08

Quote:
if cryogenics can reduce electron resistance in copper then sign me up!

I hear you John. And I have no issues with our typical audio measurements, especially as supports for design and troubleshooting. But I wish these systems were less normalized as accepted, and more explored toward making them more complete while still being affordable.

It is just that I so often have heard things that seemingly can't be measured, or at least can't easily be explained by the relatively limited measurements we tend to have more readily available for audio. This implies to me that the measuring tools my body/mind provide are more complete than our usual tools for measuring electronic values as a means of telling us "all of" what we will hear/perceive.

So I  don't mistrust measurements in general, except that the ways we audiophiles tend to use them, and talk about them, they often appear to tell only part of the story. And for me, after so many years of this, trusting my perceptions and discernments, whether they fit measured theory or not, finally I default to listening when testing rather than measuring.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 01/21/23 at 21:02:20

Nail on the head there, Will.

I always listen first to everything. Especially considering any changes I've made. What I hear is what drives my next path/move.

Sometimes I try to measure to either confirm or identify what I hear, but again, only a part of the whole story can be revealed by measuring.
Measurements can never tell the "whole" truth. They can help you along the way to finding some truths, but nothing more than that.

After reading through that article about upgrading wire gauge, if I was to re-route and re-purpose that unused run of cable and breaker that almost reaches my room with 12ga, I would need to upgrade to 6ga, in keeping with their theory, for the length of run from my breaker box.
I can not imagine any electrical professional accepting that level of upgrade for a pair of two watt amps and a 1kW amp as necessary or as a job to take on.

I guess that idea is dead from the start.

JBz, thanks for that in depth analysis. What I see in your graph is what some of us old farts call clipping, although minor, still tells a big story.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 01/22/23 at 13:02:13

I been listening to those capacitor banks for 20+ years. The ears gave clues when something was admiss with those caps over the years. Mainly when equipment was moved and reset up. The cap banks were installed inside various components. Since, those banks have been installed in plastic boxes that set neatly behind the isolation stage.

I bought the oscilloscope for anticipated refurbishment of a Otari reel to reel. This tread spawned the thought of checking the cap banks performance. Also, the SE84 system seemed to wain in performance that was reminiscent of past cap bank issues.

Turns out that the problem was the new speaker wire passed a stronger bass signal that overloaded the folded horn cabinet in it's current configuration. The cabinet bottom mouth was raised(enlarged) at some point to strengthen the bass and worked  until the 9 gauge braid of silver plated occ was installed. The bass never settled into sublimity as it was in the past with other wire schemes. The booming also mucked up the upper registries.

Problem mostly solved with the removal of the stilts. It will be completely solved when the oversized "o" rings are replaced with ones that will fully mate with the speaker plinth and 3/4 inch thick legs. I used the larger rings that fit the 1 1/2" wide stilts as a means of convenience when troubleshooting.

Oldie, that spare circuit can be extended with 12/2 and mated with the existing circuit to lower resistance by almost 50 percent taking into account the added resistance of splices.

4krow it seems we think alike. When I designed and build our kitchen with the better halfs input it became a true cornerstone of our lives. To this day 30 years later it has really no sign for wear and she still enjoys making everyday meals in it.

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 01/22/23 at 13:44:19

All this talk added another project to a ever growing list. One that is well overdue. 50' of 12/2 WG was just ordered from Amazon. $30 cheaper then Home Depot. Turns out I installed Legrand surface mount boxes in the Charoit. HD does stock Legrand metal wire molding in 10' lenghts. One of those will be all that is needed to do the upgrade.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-Wiremold-500-Series-10-ft-Metal-Surface-Race...

Will definitely post on measured results!

John

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 01/22/23 at 16:28:10

John,

Sounds like you are solving the 9 gauge speaker cable issue to your satisfaction by changing the speakers. I had a similar issue in my tests with Chinese made "kimber-like" braided 9 gauge OCC CU. I just went back to my old multi wire type DIY speaker cables which sounded faster and more complete overall to me aside from the 9 gauge braid being over stated here, especially with the bass too strong in the balance from such a big cable.

But I heard things I liked also, and want to hear them with better balance. Other needs got prioritized and this fell to back burner, but I was planning on starting by disconnecting one of the braid wires to the positive cable side, and then another until it sounds "right" in balances... I have found with ICs that once I got the overall gauge about right, I prefer the sound density and hit with the ground side a little heavier, so guessing this might translate to speaker cables. But if needed, I will disconnect one or two on the negative speaker cables side also until I can hear the mids and highs balance nicely with bass.

I look forward to you tests with the additional 12 gauge power run.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 01/22/23 at 17:04:08

Met with a highly recommended licensed electrician yesterday.  I had sent him the MSB article in advance and VH Audio’s website, but he didn’t read them because there was some confusion at first.  He was insistent that he would need to use 10/3 wire but when I mentioned that both lines need to be on the same phase, he said, oh ok—that changes things.  10/2 wire will work.  He did differ from the first contractor/electrician in routing the wires at the bottom of the wall all the way to the front vs. the contractor who wanted to route it along the top (I was gravitating towards the bottom anyways, which is good).  He said he would also use wiremold to hide the wires.  He showed me (without measuring) which leg was less noisy based on the load on each leg—one was markedly less loaded then the other—hence less noisy.  He also recommended I get a 40 ft length vs. 30 as I was estimating.  There will be some left over he said, but it’s better to be on the safe side.  Didn’t know about silver tungsten breakers but he was sure he could get some from the electrical supply house. I might just try to research that myself vs. leaving it up t him.

He also doesn’t come cheap.  Basically, with all the materials and labor, it will come out to a price of a ZROCK2 with the mods.  I have a bathroom project also running simultaneously—so I need to put some time and $$ in that as well (and the contractor who is finishing the bathroom project is the one I spoke to first since he does electrical too but I don’t have a quote from him yet).  However, I am happy that I have thoroughly researched the project and know exactly how I am going to go about it.  Going in to this, I had no idea that I could get my own Cryo’d romex, and now I do (and yes, it’s a piece of mind thing).  I already have the the outlets, and will start ordering the wire soon, and try to get the breakers too.  This has been such a great thread that really helped me out and I hope it also helps others embarking on a similar journey.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 01/23/23 at 00:32:57

For now, I’ve ordered the wire.  For those looking to do the same in the future, it will put the entire length of two dedicated lines under one line item and you will have to put in special instructions for Chris that you need 2 equal sections of whatever length.

I know that we wanted to set the whole power conditioner discussion in a separate thread, but since Puritan was mentioned in this thread, I wanted to share with you Hi Fi Cave’s (Loic) latest review that dropped today.  It’s pretty telling.

Side Story—I was at Floor and Decor (for the bathroom project) with my wife when this vid dropped and I had to surreptitiously watch this in bits and pieces lest I was found out to be AWOL.  As I was thinking about the video afterwards asking Loic questions, my opinion was being asked on various colors and designs and I had set terms like, ‘yes this looks good’, or ‘we have a winner’, or ‘oh I like that!’ in the arsenal handy for quick retrieval and spontaneous delivery.

https://youtu.be/rtoflzXtFh4

Now, this is in addition to Steve Huff’s review:

https://youtu.be/7Thbj_FIUMU

And OCD Mickey (the most jaded dude in all of Hi Fi and he too was taken aback—-and now he sells it):

https://youtu.be/2VX4buciMLM

I don’t know about you guys, but my spidey sense is tingling that this is the real deal.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 01/23/23 at 11:21:55

Your lucky she did not slap you up the side of the head. They easily pick up on those programmed responses.

Power conditioning is the real deal. Decware's approach is the VR tube insertion that does help but only part of a complete audio power cleaning system.

John

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 01/24/23 at 01:26:12

Lol John.  At this point, I’ve learned to pick up on cues to see what I can or cannot get away with.

Anywho, I’ve decided to go ahead with this project.  Might as well vs. sitting on wire, which arrives on Thursday.  I’ve spent a lot of time with the electrician and I’m educating him on my particular needs.  He’s a good sport and is taking a special interest in it including asking to listen to my rig prior to the install.  Sent him snippets  from the MSB article regarding silver paste and breakers with silver tungsten (side note: I called 4 different electrical supply houses out of curiosity and none of them knew what I meant by silver tungsten—they were like we have never heard that requirement before for circuit breakers).  I’ve also challenged the electrician with keeping the installed ength the same (to the extent possible) and he’s up for it.

Chris at VHAudio recommended a 2 week burn in (I shouldn’t have asked) using something like small fans or other items that can run without racking up a bill—prior to hooking up the gear.  It’s going to kill me to now wait an additional two weeks—I’ll probably not last that long.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print