Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:38:26 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New DirectStream MK II (Read 2764 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

New DirectStream MK II
01/18/23 at 15:45:25

I'll admit, I'm a fanboy - Ted is truly a genius, and doesn't let the digital nay-sayers distract him...he just does what he does. I really wish I could afford this right now!

https://youtu.be/x7csGu1VpLU

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: New DirectStream MK II
Reply #1 - 01/18/23 at 16:39:17

I really wish I could afford it right now too as the "deal" is very generous for Mk I owners.

But I can't right now. Maybe later this year, we'll see. In addition to my original Mk I now in my headphone system, I've a modded Mk I right now in my main system and it's a step up from the original and really sounds good . . . with the Monoblocks with the Mods I'm really happy. And I'm committed to an SEWE300B which I think will also be wonderful. Had I not committed to the SEWE300B I'd be in for the Mk II.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/18/23 at 20:19:25

Strongly considering the MKII, too, in addition to their soon-to-be-released AirLens. My only hesitation is the lack of MQA...

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 01/19/23 at 15:09:47

Lack of MQA is no concern for me.

Definitely not. . . as . . . OOPS I did it again. . . I ordered one today.

I shouldn't have, but the deal is just too good. Even not taking the "credit forward" aspect of the deal into account, the trade in on the MK1 is so much higher than the used market is now or will be, and I can move the modded Mk1 I have into my headphone system and upgrade that sound, and trade in the original Mk1 that resides there.

It's only money. I'll manage. A fantastic stereo system will get you through times with no money better than money will get you through times without a fantastic stereo system!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/19/23 at 16:35:45

Congrats Lon!! I'm happy for you. Can't wait for your listening impressions....

MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 01/19/23 at 18:49:01

Thanks. You know me, I won't be able to keep quiet about it.

It's a little scary financially but I think it's going to be worth the strain on the wallet and brain.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 01/25/23 at 01:38:28

When do you get your DAC Lon?

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 01/25/23 at 01:52:50

I have only been told that I'll get a shipping notice when it is ready. Someone who ordered a bit ahead of me says his is coming next month. We'll see. I'm being patient--everything sounds fantastic now.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #8 - 01/25/23 at 03:43:40

You can be patient, but I’m pretty excited to hear what you think of the new DAC.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/01/23 at 20:07:33

Hey Lon,

What mods did you make to your MK1?  How did it change the sound?

I also very envious of your new purchase and waiting for your reviews.

Cheers,

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 02/01/23 at 20:32:57

I didn't make any mods to my Mk1, rather I bought it modded from a PS Audio forum member.

There a guy named Jeff Richards had developed an analog power board that fits in where the Bridge would in the Mk1 and since I don't use a Bridge this was a good one for me. This allows one to use the stock analog power board OR an outboard power source, so I am using a Farad Super3 12 volt source with a UP-OCC power cable to connect to the Mk1. Also the stock output transformers in the Mk1 were replaced with the Edcor transformers that the designer Ted Smith had originally planned to use but were replaced in the stock configuration by others for budgetary reasons. (As these transformers are essentially the analog output section of the Mk1 they make a bid difference).  And lastly certain areas of the interior were treated with 3M EMI/RF blocking material as suggested by Ted Smith.

The resulting change took a bit of getting used to but it's very similar to a UFO Zen amp being fitted with all the 25th Anniversary Mods--more clarity, a lowered noise floor, a heightened sense of dynamics both micro and macro.

What put me over the edge to ordering the new Mk2 is the incredible deal the company gave--full credit for the Mk1, sixty percent or so a discount on the price for the Mk2, the other forty as credit towards other purchases. As I also have my original non-modded Mk1 in my headphone system I can trade that one in and improve both systems when the Mk2 comes in. That will help me, giving me something to tune and obsess over until the SEWE300B makes its way to me. . ..

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/01/23 at 21:06:42

thanks  
thumbs UP

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/17/23 at 19:05:01

Been looking for a review of the MK2 and this is the first one that I've found that actually listened to it.

https://youtu.be/j6B6ErFPnBU

It was a very positive review I thought

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 02/17/23 at 19:12:42

Yes, I think that's the first one out there.

It's a good thing I have become accustomed to waiting. . . I'm waiting still for notice that mine is ready to ship. Hopefully early next month.

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/10/23 at 10:16:33

Audio Excellence Canada did a YouTube comparison with the PS Audio DirectStream MkII and the MSB Discrete DAC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sXIZ7T4xqU
These are two of the three DACs I've been considering (along with the Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition). I was really hoping they would say that the MkII was close enough in sound quality that it isn't worth spending almost twice as much on the MSB.

Instead, they concluded:
The DirectStream MKII is easily the best DAC anywhere near its $8k price point; and
The MSB at $13k is resoundingly better and remains the best DAC they've ever heard.

I mean, what's $5k compared to FOMO? Grrrrrr  [smiley=tunes57.gif]

MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 04/10/23 at 10:48:25

With the trade in program I only had to pay 4400 dollars for my MK2, and have 3200 dollars worth of credit towards future purchases as well. A great deal.

I have about 410 hours on mine now and it is certainly better than the original I have (which is going back) and better than the modded one I have (with an outboard power supply for the analog board and upgraded to Edcor transformers). It is a very good DAC, I'm keeping it. It is smoother in a good way than either of the others, and it restores and improves the "ease" to the sound that the original had and the modded one lacked a bit of, having a bit more forceful sound. I think it is almost all broken in and soon I'll add the Audio Magic M-1 fuse I bought for it.

So purchasing this I have placed the modded one in my headphone system, being able to improve both the main and the headphone system. Win win for me.

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/10/23 at 14:09:44

Congrats Lon, I was waiting to hear your impressions. Thanks!

MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print