Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
01/28/23 at 02:40:26†

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Orion three way speakers (Read 205 times)
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Orion three way speakers
01/09/23 at 23:42:09

I was looking at Troels Gravenson, Meniscus and Madisound for an entry level three way kit when PE offered this kit. 8Ē woofer, 5Ē mid and 1Ē tweeter in a decent stand sized ported box 21Ēx11Ēx13Ē with the mid in a separate chamber.

The CNC flat pack is decently cut. I'm going to add a 3/4Ē dowel to reduce the ringing my knuckles made on the side.

Test populating the massive crossover boards. Glue and soldering to follow after another look thru.

I'm also going to sub GRs NoRez in the woofer camber, I've used this a few times now and it does the job.

CSP3, DIY Gr-Research X-SLS, Marantz HD CD-1, Modi+ DAC, GR Research 16 strand speaker cable, Pine Tree Audio SE2B, Pine Tree Audio BlackGround XLR interconnects, Schiit Vidar mono blocks
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Orion three way speakers
Reply #1 - 01/10/23 at 01:37:46

This may well be an interesting build. Thanks for decent photos. Sounds silly to ask but what glue will you use? I have tried many kinds and like a longer set time than some out there. I am betting that you have a bunch of clamps too.
I will keep my eye on this thread since speaker building has been great over the years for me.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/10/23 at 13:05:03

Titebond III gives me enough time to set the clamps; and Iím going to need to increase my clamp herd by four Smiley
Iím also planning to invert the order, normally Iíd install the crossover after the mdf glue up but this is really large and the separate mid/hi chamber will make setting the hold down screws a trick. So, Iíll be taping up the openings and doing the interior work before glue up. Thatís bound to present some novel problems but Iím here for it.

CSP3, DIY Gr-Research X-SLS, Marantz HD CD-1, Modi+ DAC, GR Research 16 strand speaker cable, Pine Tree Audio SE2B, Pine Tree Audio BlackGround XLR interconnects, Schiit Vidar mono blocks
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/13/23 at 21:55:35

The tornado sirens ran me out of the shop yesterday before I was ready to stop but I got back to it today.

The crossover board occupies most of the bottom, Iím still working out a scheme to attach it before glue up so I donít have to screw it down blind.

Crossovers done and wired. And a quick test to make certain they actually work. They do, now itís time to glue up the cabinets

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/23/23 at 23:03:27

Made some progress toward glue up with an eye toward a few days over 45į for the Titebond.

Obligatory test fit and marking to pre-drill screw holes.

The midrange driver is designed as a dipole driver, not exactly open baffle more like open tunnel.

I wanted to chamfer the larger foam to reduce any chance of turbulence in that narrow area adjacent the sealed mid chamber/tunnel. It would have been neater with a bandsaw and a tilting table but the old razor knife got close.

And sealing the openings to keep as much sanding debris out of the foam and electronics. This is totally backwards assembly but the sealed mid section reduces accessibility enough that attaching the foam, no rez and crossover promised a failure at some juncture. †

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 01/24/23 at 02:16:10

I continue interest with your project. Part of the reason is the build quality and thought that you have put into it. I am at kinda the same point with a baffle not glued in yet, and thought the same as you with the crossover, but I can get mine in through the port hole, just barely. The shop isn't even close to cozy temp wise, so I gotta wait it out for some time to come.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/25/23 at 20:51:04

I was overly optimistic about the open time of Titebond III at 50į and I need to choreograph the next cabinet assembly in order to get the clamps applied in good order. I know Iíve complicated assembly by adding the cross cabinet dowel but it really damps the sides and I think thatís a good result. The rabbets for the mid chamber are fussy join and Iím sure that contributed to the anxiety.

Also, Iím redrawing the veneer cut sheet to better center the pattern. African Anegre is something I havenít worked with so there's a new learning curve at hand. This portion should give me all of the tops and bottoms and a test strip. I want to radius the front but Iíll have to do a test piece to see if that highly figured pattern with flow around an edge.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 01/25/23 at 21:33:59

Don't get me started on open time! Some glues are faster than my hands. I even tend to use an overabundance of glue, thinking that it might get me an edge but instead it just gives me a mess.
I am like you walking round my workbench looking and trying to capitalize off my time for a glue up knowing full well what the price of forgetting something can turn out to be.
I agree with the thinking about the dowel, as I have considered as an afterthought this idea for my DNA2 build. Much better to get it right before finishing the cabinet. In my case, I have considered using a pipe stanchion on each inside wall and then figuring the rest out as I go along.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/25/23 at 21:54:27

I used a Forstner bit and ran it about 3/8Ē deep, then I clamped the parts together and measured the result using the depth probe on a plastic caliper, marking it on the edge. I cut the dowel to that instead of a tape. Did a few test fits, practiced fitting the sides just to test the idea. I did not practice with all of the clamps and I should have given that a go, it would have taught me where to stage the clamps for best access during glue up.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 01/25/23 at 22:45:37

It doesn't always work out, but sometimes I use my workbench as part of the clamping process. It is really flat and if the cabinet dimensions agree with it then I can lay the speaker cabinet sideways on the bench. In some cases, everything falls into place, and I will even be able to clamp the whole cabinet at once. Also there have been times where a stack of panels on top/side of the speakers being clamped are placed so that the pressure of the clamp is spread across a wider area. But you already know no one can have enough clamps!

Here's a thought. I don't know how you might be heating your shop, but I have found that in spite of the idea that I like radiant heat, it dries the glue even faster. Yup, you get even less open time. Kind cool for some finish work though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print