Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 09:48:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Western Electric 300b specs and warranty (Read 953 times)
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Western Electric 300b specs and warranty
01/03/23 at 16:55:06

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Re: Western Electric 300b specs and warranty
Reply #1 - 01/03/23 at 18:38:48

Thanks for the WE document explaining their warranty.  

The bottom line is that they are offering a replacement for the failed tube as long as other stipulations are met.  Correct?

Since I just read CAJames' "rant" on tube matching, I'm hesitant to ask, but would a new 300b replaced tube pair up nicely with the older surviving tube that did not fail in one's amp?  Not to get in the weeds on this, but is it illogical or reasonable to pair an older WE 300b with the new one?

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 01/03/23 at 23:19:21

Yes, thanks for posting.

Quote:
Posted by: Tony      Posted on: Today at 18:38:48

...The bottom line is that they are offering a replacement for the failed tube as long as other stipulations are met.  Correct?

That is the way I read it. Much nicer than a prorated warranty which is how other people have represented it online, except for see below.

Quote:
Posted by: Tony      Posted on: Today at 18:38:48

...Since I just read CAJames' "rant" on tube matching, I'm hesitant to ask, but would a new 300b replaced tube pair up nicely with the older surviving tube that did not fail in one's amp?  Not to get in the weeds on this, but is it illogical or reasonable to pair an older WE 300b with the new one?

Yeah, that is sorta the $1500 dollar question isn't it. I feel like if a high end 300B is going to fail it is probably going to happen soon, like in months not years. But there is no down side to running your amp with one new 300B and another that is a few years old and listen for yourself. I think even after 3 or 4 years a well made 300B ought to be close enough to new that you could just go with it, but worst case buying one 1 WE 300B costs a lot less than buying 2. And hopefully the point is moot because your 300Bs will last a lot longer than 5 years.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/04/23 at 00:20:10

Hey, Tony. I interpret the warranty the same as you. A defective tube will be replaced. Personally I wouldn’t want to mix, and match and hopefully it’s a non-issue.
I see the Sarah as an amp I’ll be passing on to many generations after me. If my life continues on the same trajectory for the next 20-40 years I imagine I’ll have 4-10 sets of 300b tubes so I suppose at some point a defective-replacement and a 3/4 aged one will all end up in a bin of extra tubes and may get mix matched from time to time, or become my party set. First world problems. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print