03/29/24 at 11:14:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AR Turntable (Read 1657 times)
Bmyles
Verified Member

AR Turntable
12/29/22 at 14:04:12

Recently ordered a SE341.6 that I will be replacing a very nice sounding Eico with. Using Klipsch La Scalas and AR turntable that I painstakingly restored.

Curious if anyone out there is using AR tables with Decware amps? I’ve had some really nice TT’s/arms etc but I just keep coming back to this simple little TT… I’m wondering how it will sound with the new amp.

Thanks!
B

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: AR Turntable
Reply #1 - 12/29/22 at 14:12:43

Wow, the Decware amp will be a step up from the EICO. I was using an EICO before moving to Decware's very first amp model 25 years ago--and I was floored at the difference.

I haven't heard an AR turntable since my Dad's system had one from '62 ending in '87 when he bought a Sony turntable. I will say this: it will depend on what phono preamp you use--I found that AR to be very chameleon-like in that it sounded different with differing phono circuits in preamps or integrated amps or receivers. The Decware amp will reveal that the phono preamp delivers. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Bmyles
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/29/22 at 14:34:02

Thanks, yes I’m expecting a nice improvement for sure. I’m fully expecting to move on from the AR eventually but I’m kinda fond of it meanwhile, just interested in anyone else’s experiences.
Thanks,
I appreciate the feedback.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 12/29/22 at 14:52:56

I totally understand loving the AR turntable. It is so simple and reliable.

What phono preamp do you hope to use with the Decware amp?

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Bmyles
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 12/29/22 at 15:06:45

I’m looking for suggestions to answer the pre-amp question…  I’ve barely scratched the surface yet!
Luckily I’ll have plenty of wait time to make a decision. Suggestions are welcome,
B

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 12/29/22 at 15:13:10

This century I have had two phono preamps, the Decware ZP3 (bone stock) and then the PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter which I am using at the moment. Both are excellent imo. The NuWave I am using perhaps controversially: I am using its excellent internal ADC to convert the signal to DSD and sending it to my PS Audio DSD DAC. . .and from there to my Decware ZTPRE. As there is better cabling from there to the ZTPRE than I can muster so far to the ZTPRE from the analog out of the NuWave I find I prefer the sound this way.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/29/22 at 16:00:33

Phono preamp selection has a lot to do with your equipment. It's important to match a cartridge that is suited to the compliance of your tonearm as a first step to achieving good sound quality. Beyond that is the choice of using a moving magnet (higher output) or moving coil (lower output) cartridge. There are also moving iron carts from Sound Smith.

So there are lots of variables to consider.

Since you are planning eventually upgrade your turntable, I suggest reading up on turntable - cartridge - phono preamp combinations on several online sites. Vinyl Engines, Audio Asylum, etc. can provide you with some insights. You may want to look to local audio retailers who specialize in vinyl setups and do some listening.

In the interim, I would suggest looking at moderately priced phono preamps in the used market (Audiogon, U.S. Audio Mart, etc.) that will work well with your current phono cartridge (MM or MC). FWIW, I would suggest settling on your next step turntable and cartridge combination before buying a phono preamp. That way you won't be wasting your time or money.

There are a lot of great moderately priced phono preamps out there, especially on the used market. Here is a link to a thread which discusses several very good, moderately priced phono preamps on the Steve Hoffman forum:
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/recommend-a-phono-stage.1098263/

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Zork
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 12/29/22 at 18:01:02

Which model AR Turntable? There were a few...some the modern ones were very different from the older.

IP Logged
Bmyles
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 12/29/22 at 18:27:49

It’s an XA, don’t remember the year off the top of my head, but I remember that it has the better motor. I’ve had it for a while

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/12/23 at 19:23:10

I think all the early versions most likely sound close to the same, even the vinyl covered versions with cue lift. Sonic benefits kick in with the 80's versions many having LMT , MMT type arms on them.

The first XA models are just so cool looking and are a fun visual fit with vintage systems ( Scott, Fisher , HK , Heathkit etc etc ) as well as nice sounding tables but unless you modify the crap out of them ( many people do ) I think a second hand upper shelf table/arm is a upgade in performance and sound.

I have one sitting in its box waiting for a little tlc so I can sit it next to my Fisher 500c / Epi 150 combo ( my vintage system )

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print