Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 20:54:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
KNow anyone who might build a custom bass cabinet? (Read 840 times)
HellionDarklord
Seasoned Member

Crazy box designer.

KNow anyone who might build a custom bass cabinet?
12/15/22 at 23:54:45

I want to make a bass guitar system anybody know who might build a prototype cabinet and amp system? I found a bass guitar I want but it doesn't come with an amp so I figured I might have one made custom.

Dunno what amp to buy
  IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Re: KNow anyone who might build a custom bass cabinet?
Reply #1 - 12/16/22 at 19:55:56

If you provide the plans and dimensions you could have the cabinet built by any woodworking shop. Search "custom woodwork" followed by name of your city. The cabinet should be configured and dimensioned to provide proper loading for the chosen speaker drivers.

As for amplifiers suitable to the task, a number of them were already recommended to you in the D.I.Y. forum.

If I may say, I don't know that it's wise for a person  with little or no knowledge to venture into a custom build of anything,  'flying blind', as it were. In terms of both cost and performance you would likely fare much better in looking for a bass rig on the used market, built by one of several companies who've been at it for decades, whose products are well regarded by pro and amateur musicians.

In any case, typing "DIY bass cabinet", or "custom bass guitar cabinet", etc. in your browser search box would likely get you to a site more useful to your endeavor than a home audio site.

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/16/22 at 23:07:54

You can find a lot of information on talkbass.com regarding this...  Actually, Mesa/Boogie's lead designer contribute to the Forums quite often under the alias "agedhorse."  You can find a lot of posts by Bill Fitzmaurice as well as Barefaced's owner (whose name I do not remember).  These are some of the names that come to my mind, but there is a wealth of information.

Also, Greenboy fEARful designs, which are all DIY stuff, are very much talked about on the Forums as well.  Here is a link I could find, searching for fEARful designs:

https://www.speakerhardware.com/diy-bass-guitar-guitar-speaker-cabinet-kits/

Hope this helps.  Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
HellionDarklord
Seasoned Member

Crazy box designer.

Reply #3 - 12/17/22 at 00:35:30

This is what I'm trying. I don't know what the best drivers are going to be.  I want cood clean bass guitar sound like in a Country song.  I changed this picture from it's original two driver one passive radiator making it impossible to see the real dimensions. Steve said that I could do what I want to the WIcked one... SO, I made it more of a real horn with laminar air wave. The Wicked One is not really a horn like this one is. There's possibly a passive radiator between 'J' and 'M' I purposefully  changed the brightness so you can't read the grid that it is drawn on.

I think I like the idea of having a wood working shop build it for me, but I need help. I don't know what drivers to use and I don't know how to figure it out. I need two tens and an eight but what size should the volume of the sealed side need to be.... I have NO idea.I have NO idea what to call this subwoofer and bass guitar cabinet. is it an 20th order or what  I need help figuring out the dimensons and might have to have all three drivers be an 8 Inch. I used to know how to do it but I forgot.  Please... someone said that they recommended drivers, but I can't find where they recommended it.
[smiley=10.gif]

Lets start with the best 10 inch drivers. I have hope that I can afford them. THen lets go with an 8 inch passive radiator. I kind of want to buy an 8 inch driver with a dual voicecoil and see if it will work as a passive radiator, but I don't know what to think about things like ohms.  My last receiver died and displayed 'overload' when I turned it on or something like that. I have a lot more money this time around, but I need to know how to not overlaod an amp. Can Steve Deckert build an amp for me that will do both so I can try both? We will  have to wait and see.

Thanks for your info, I changed the dimensions of the cabinet/subwoofer in the picture so don't try and reverse engineer it.  

Dunno what amp to buy
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/17/22 at 10:08:35

Most bass speaker builders use Eminence drivers.  I am sure there are other options out there, but Aguilar, for instance, use off-the-shelf Eminence stuff in their cabinets (at least for their SL series) and design their boxes around the specs of the drivers.  You might like to check the Eminence site.

https://eminence.com/

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 12/17/22 at 10:15:59

I've had a handful of bass amps and the best, that does it all for me for both bass and guitar, is in a briefly made series called the TV Bassman, the TV Bassman Fifteen. Huge heavy beast unfortunately, but had a tubed preamp and a 250 watt amp running a 15" speaker. I can get super tight clean bass or bone rattling almost no string sound bass. And Kenny Burrell to SRV guitar sounds and so much in between. Really hard to find now. . .when they were around I toyed with trying the Two Ten model, but they've disappeared now.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/17/22 at 13:58:27

Re: country bass guitar; please read my reply to your thread in DIY.

IP Logged
HellionDarklord
Seasoned Member

Crazy box designer.

Reply #7 - 12/23/22 at 22:03:47

What if I take the drivers out of two different amplifiers and try running a bass cabinet and have it work with my lead amp in the same bass cabinet

I think it might be a real horn. (I have had to suffer with 8 inch drivers since I dont thing I have enough room for tens without angling the driver and I need drivers that have a small enough magnet.  How about driving three drivers from one amp? Would that work?

Dunno what amp to buy
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/23/22 at 23:20:10

If I am understanding you correctly, you will be using different drivers from different enclosures and put them in your enclosure.  Now, what are these drivers?  Just woofers?  Or a tweeter as well.

If you want different drivers handle different range of frequencies you need crossovers.  If not you need to be careful with using your drivers in parallel or in series.  Most bass amplifiers cannot go below 4 ohms and there are only a handful that can go down to 2 ohms.  If you have three 8-ohm drivers in parallel, this would give 2.67 ohms and this would be dangerous for most amplifiers.  Therefore, you need to doublecheck your amp rating.

Also, one needs to be careful about the specs of the drivers as well.  The common approach is designing your box around the driver specs, but not the other way around.  

Just IMO and IME.  Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged