04/19/24 at 14:58:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My mistake (Read 2190 times)
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

My mistake
12/07/22 at 22:31:01

......may be....when I ordered my UFO2,1, I didn't bother for the XLR connectors and didn't ordered it.
Then I realise that my DAC is providing it as well as RCA of course.
- Anyone here could tell if there is a real big difference between the two ?
.....I just received it, I won't send it back for the mod because I am already addicted ! I just pinch myself if I made a big mistake !  [smiley=10.gif]

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: My mistake
Reply #1 - 12/07/22 at 22:38:49

Congrats on receiving the amp!

To be honest I personally don't think you "made a big mistake". . . . If you have 2V coming into your amp to get it to full power and the sound is great, roll with it.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 12/08/22 at 01:53:54

If you want balanced you can get a ZBIT rather than shipping your amp back for XLR inputs. It is actually more flexible because it has a gain adjustment and you can move it around your system, for example if you want a CSP preamp.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 12/08/22 at 02:44:46

That really is true, a great suggestion. I've hesitated to bring that up because the waiting list is just so long!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 12/08/22 at 03:12:58

For stuff without tubes the wait is much shorter. At least that is the word on the street.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/08/22 at 04:21:34

Don’t know why more people don’t buy used?

Got a zrock2 and zbit weeks after starting my search.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 12/08/22 at 04:25:49

Well personally I'd say you got lucky. They are not up for sale that often.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/08/22 at 04:50:40

Getting used Decware stuff is far from easy — even with automatic notifications. And of all the Decware stuff on the used market, the ZROCK2 makes a very rare appearance. You are extremely lucky to have snagged it weeks into your search.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #8 - 12/08/22 at 06:59:14

As others have said..the ZBIT would give you way more flexibility as opposed to  adding it internally to your UFO2.

If you are serious about grabbing something used..Keep searching….I was lucky enough to snag a used ZBIT with dual stepped attenuators off eBay last week.  It should be here tomorrow…so I’m super stoked.  

Here’s a tip…..and a best kept secret…. I’ve seen a lot of stuff added to eBay at the wee hours of the morning here on the east coast.  I snagged my ZBIT at like 4 AM.  My unit came from California…so when it’s listed at like like 9 or 10 PM on the west coast….it’s early morning hours here on the east coast.  In my line of work… I do graveyard hours overnight… so I’m constantly checking eBay at like 3 or 4 AM.  I don’t believe the ZBIT listing I snagged would have lasted the day.  Early bird catches the worm as they say.  Good luck and set that early morning alarm.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/08/22 at 11:16:16

You guys are fantastic, you know by heart Decware's products line !
So I have to look into it now. This is probably another 1200€ shipped to my place (yé, our governement takes XXXXXXX % taxes)....plus the DSR3 cords going with it !
The question is "is it worth it ?".....I guess I'll only know once tried out.
Returned experience on this anyone ?

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/08/22 at 17:41:03

My Cambridge CXN has XLR and RCA outputs. My SE84 has the XLR input option. My comparison was going XLR direct into the SE84 vs. RCA input from a ZROCK2. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but there you have it. The ZROCK combo won, and it wasn't even close.

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/08/22 at 19:48:55

Quote:
My Cambridge CXN has XLR and RCA outputs. My SE84 has the XLR input option. My comparison was going XLR direct into the SE84 vs. RCA input from a ZROCK2. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but there you have it. The ZROCK combo won, and it wasn't even close.

Thanks for that reply. Definetly the ZROCK does its things. It would have been interesting to compare the CXN alone, with RCA and XLR.
My RME  DAC is also a digital preamp and DSP, I can correct the curve nearly "at nauseum", so I don't need the ZROCK.

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 12/08/22 at 20:08:08

Quote:
To be honest I personally don't think you "made a big mistake". . . . If you have 2V coming into your amp to get it to full power and the sound is great, roll with it.

I have no idea of the value, but thanks to reassure me. I find it excellent but could it be a lot better ? ....everlasting question ...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 12/08/22 at 20:41:00

Yes, that's the everlasting question, wondering if you could have and hear better.

Just to be making things clear, the EQ you are able to apply is different than what the ZROCK2 can deliver.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 12/09/22 at 01:44:41

I bet your fancy dancie EQ DAC don't have this part.

Quote:
The part is a logarithmic control that increases with rotation ganged to a linear control that decreases with rotation.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1669885337/7#7

Another Steve Deckert innovation.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 12/09/22 at 03:42:10

For folks who are interested in used, I used hifishark which scours used sites as well as decware’s own used threads.  Add in audiogon and wait.

You all know your projected wait time for new.

As stated my recent experience was weeks to months for the decware products I was targeting in mint condition. Now I may have been lucky but you don’t know if you don’t put a hook in the water.

In 40 years in the stereo game, I have bought new very seldom and as a result been able to afford to experiment more and with higher quality components than had I purchased new.

Same situation with cars here in Canada.  Want a new vehicle, get on a waiting list.  Again for me I haven’t bought new vehicles often in my life, almost exclusively used, allowing me to get much more car than otherwise affordable.

For those that love the feeling of cracking open THEIR NEW product, please disregard this message Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 12/09/22 at 12:03:51

Good point, good resource for those buying used.

Interestingly I looked on ebay and see four Decware items, the most I've seen at one time for a while, two amps, a set of speakers and a SUT.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 12/10/22 at 02:12:19

Hifishark is indeed an excellent resource and for the most part, well known. My historical observations (for the past year) indicate that Decware stuff seldom showed up and scoring said stuff challenging—amps have been listed and sold in a heartbeat. Even the daily notifications were too late.

That said, I too have noticed a marked increase in Decware listings of late and they are also lasting longer. I reckon folks are liquidating their gear to save up for Sarah!

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 12/10/22 at 02:46:10

I used hifi shark, but it never panned out for me. Things were sold by the time I got notification. I’ve bought two amps by getting lucky and refreshing pages A LOT. The first amp I got was posted for 29 minutes On eBay. The second, less than two hours on Audiogon. I got a ZP3 here on the site by posting a wanted ad, you never know who’s lurking with extra things not being used. In my case a user just got a new ZP3 so he let go of the one he was using while waiting.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print