03/28/24 at 17:53:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Idle Curiousity (Read 3615 times)
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Idle Curiousity
12/01/22 at 09:02:17

I think it's interesting that a modded ZROCK2 costs more than a SE84UFO. I seem to recall seeing a photo of the inside of one of these somewhere, and there wasn't much in there, implying lower parts/labor costs relative to the Zen amp. (This may be the kind of observation that gives new meaning to the term "technical rube.")

Why so expensive?

This is an actual question, not, you know, one of those "I've never met anyone on this forum personally, so it should be OK for me to get aggressive and stick in references to capitalism and China" kind of question.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Re: Idle Curiousity
Reply #1 - 12/01/22 at 13:31:33

Quote:
This is an actual question, not, you know, one of those "I've never met anyone on this forum personally, so it should be OK for me to get aggressive and stick in references to capitalism and China" kind of question.

Oh I get it. Being blinded by righteousness fueled by ego and hatred. Makes sense to me thanks for your perspective. Very helpful in the world of Audio.

but no

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/01/22 at 15:19:21

Burgermeester,

Still pulling for you. Hope your happy when your order is filled. Would like to thank you. Your experience waiting for your gear and posting about it has been enlightening.

Was going to change my ZR2 to the Sarah 300B. Seems like Decware is producing non amp orders at a rapid pace.

Going to learn from your experience and not recommend anyone place an order with Decware. Just going to answer all inquiries with they are no longer available.

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/01/22 at 22:37:52

Back to that question.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/02/22 at 01:33:24

I was curious about the same thing actually. There does not seem to be as much going on in a ZROCK from a parts/ labor perspective as the SE84UFO.

I am unsure, but when I wondered about this, I thought the SE84UFO may almost be a "loss leader." Not in the sense that Steve actually loses money on them, but that the profit margin is lower as Steve offers the SE84UFO as an introduction to Decware for those unable to spend more.

In this way, Steve gains longterm customers who may not bite if there was no "entry level" amp. Some may never buy anything else, but many do go on to buy other products from Decware, most of which likely have a healthier profit margin.

I have no actual knowledge that this is the case, it just seems a possible scenario based on the observation of the appearance of parts/ labor vs price of various Decware items. This was even more evident before the relatively recent increase in price of the SE84UFO from $995 to $1195.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/03/22 at 04:56:51

That does make sense.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 12/06/22 at 19:42:40

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 12/06/22 at 19:44:38

A fully modded SE84UFO costs 1455.00

In the world of point-to-point wiring labor and parts are a lot closer than one would realize.

The ZROCK2 with full mods takes the same amount of time to build as a SE84UFO.  The ZROCK2 uses a custom made control that we have to build from scratch because there is no such thing available to purchase. The part is a logarithmic control that increases with rotation ganged to a linear control that decreases with rotation.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 12/06/22 at 20:05:06

Thanks for the response Steve.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/07/22 at 08:30:39

Got it. Eye-opening.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/09/22 at 01:50:30

Very interesting Steve.
Thanks

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print