Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:37:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Attach binding posts to old speakers ? (Read 820 times)
Sam S
Verified Member

Attach binding posts to old speakers ?
11/29/22 at 21:35:14

I recently bought these old 12 inch full range Zenith console drivers from a local on Craigslist.

I am trying to find out a good method to attach binding posts to either the speaker basket or the back plate just behind the alnico magnet.
Those two pins for positive and negative connection are about 3/4 inch long.
I am planning to solder some Cardas chassis wire to those pins and then connect to some Cardas binding posts.

But I am a total amateur and don't know if drilling holes for the binding posts anywhere on the speaker is a good idea?
I will eventually be mounting them in a Caintuck style baffle.

Sam

how to get html code for image

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Re: Attach binding posts to old speakers ?
Reply #1 - 11/30/22 at 14:10:06

I don't think you want to drill into the motor structure or the frame here. Soldering to the pins seems correct, though, and you could run the cable to the base of the open baffle. That's where I would place connectors, with the pins facing the ground and whatever terminal you choose on the baffle base.
Or, you could use a foam adhesive mount cable tie pad on the magnet guard  as a strain relief.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #2 - 12/01/22 at 14:28:00

I've always used "pig tails" (short wire) soldered ONCE to the speaker with the other end soldered multiple times to where ever you want the speaker connected to.  If possible, provide some sort of strain relief...I'll usually just hot melt glue or zip tie the pig tail wire to the speaker frame.

Dan

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 12/10/22 at 23:09:56

After looking at the photo, I agree with Ed about soldering a wire to a place where binding posts could be mounted on the speaker cabinet. I have redone speaker connectors before on a set of Audio Nirvana drivers that used odd sized banana binding posts. It was a good deal of work to make something that was sturdy and good looking at the same time.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print