Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 23:34:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Omega Alnico with a UFO2 or 25th Anniversary (Read 1440 times)
HiFi Bri

Omega Alnico with a UFO2 or 25th Anniversary
11/19/22 at 17:02:30

Having just recently placed an order for my first pair of Omega speakers, I thought I'd share my thought process and decision, and see if there's anyone else out there with a similar experience.

I've been on the waitlist for a Decware UFO2 (considering upgrading to a 25th Anniversary, we'll see) since February of 2022, currently positioned in the low 800s on the list. Realistically, it'll be well over a year before I get my amp but I was anxious to upgrade my existing bookshelf 86 dB speakers with a pair of Omegas.

Having read through the various forums, I was aiming for a pair of either the flagship SAM HO monitors or the flagship SA HO towers, believing that 1.) I'd be better served by the twin driver 1.5 way design, and 2.) the higher efficiency of 97dB would be a better fit for a 2.3 watt amp.

While the above logic was not proven totally off-base, a conversation with Louis led me in a different direction. Based on my musical and listening preferences (jazz and rock, mostly near-field listening at moderate to moderately loud), Louis conveyed to me that a single driver alnico would be ideal, especially with the option of adding a sub in the future, if desired. Even after I made it clear I was willing to pay more for the HO, Louis steered me toward the single driver speaker, either the SAM or the XRS. I can't quote him directly but he mentioned that based on some very recent modifications and tuning, the single alnico was right up there with the twin alnicos, to the point where the extra money would not be necessary to achieve what I was looking for. This was a surprise, but a welcome one.

Additionally, he seemed confident that the 95dB of the single alnico would pair beautifully with the Zen.

Is anyone else pairing the single alnico with a Decware? I'd love to hear your impressions.

Also, I wonder if anyone can weigh in on the differences between the UFO2 (with upgrades) and the 25th anniversary model. The price difference is not small, but considering the difficulty of obtaining a Decware amp, I don't want to have any regrets.

I placed my order for the Jr. Alnico XRS towers and can't wait to finally hear them. Until I receive my Decware amp, the Omegas will be paired with a Rega Brio3.

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
MTNDAVE
Verified Member

Re: Omega Alnico with a UFO2 or 25th Anniversary
Reply #1 - 11/20/22 at 15:37:37

I have been listening to Omega Super 3 wide body monitors, front ported with RS5 drivers,
for about 5 years. Four years with the Mini Torri and about one year with the SE84ufo2. The Omega`s sit on top of Rel s/510`s on Isoacoustics stands. I listen near field ( 9 feet ) to a lot of different types of music.
I love the Omega`s with both amps. I ordered Omega XRS towers with a single Alinco driver after speaking to Louis last week. These will also sit on the Rel`s. I hope this helps a little.

IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/20/22 at 15:58:02

I am listening now to my UFO 2.1 with copper mods and the Omega Jr 8 XRS and they are a wonderful combo. The 8’s are 98db and I can listen up to low 90’s if desired, however I typically range in the 70-80 db most of the time. I have no other Decware amp experience so can’t help there. Louis seems to have sound advice, don’t think you can go wrong. I went the 8’s. As opposed to Alnico because of the db difference.

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/20/22 at 17:35:58

I had a pair of Omega Jr 8 XRS ALNICO’s “powered” by a 3.2w SEP Taboo MK 4 w/A-mods. It ultimately totally failed my goals. Not because the speakers were Omega or the amp itself  but the combo screamed “no bass here!” and trying to integrate a sub was only a costly complication that turned out to be a further excercise in failure.

Flea watt and single driver…..Never again. Full range so-called, but certainly not full sound. Not even in a small room.

“Oh yea, great combo!” turned out to be a big fat cigar fart into thin air.

Brad

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/20/22 at 20:08:32

I find there is a trade off.

The amount of energy in music is mind boggling. This is something that we generally overlook and don't pay much attention to.

One 8" driver per channel can only move so much air. Adding more surface area to energize the room adds a quality that isn't really discussed in reviews. Our body feels the sound waves. Just because the note is hit technically, it doesn't mean it has the full information transfer. Listening to a live cello there is a visceral impact. The body takes in the energy and information and relays it to the brain. It's much more that hitting the note.

A cello has a large vibrating surface area. The harmonics, especially the lower harmonics transfer information that the fundamental doesn't. The pressure from the large surface area from the instrument is where the magic is. It's gentle yet has incredible power behind it. Small surface area cannot replicate that.

A petite woman singing a fundamental of 250hz has a massive surface area of sound generation. The harmonics from that voice hit 30hz and below.

Play back with small surface area doesn't bring a lot of information to the listener.

As the number drivers increase and get larger the complexity of getting it correct is exponentially more difficult.

A single 8" driver has a lot going for it. Large enough to produce low frequency pressure while maintaining low distortion.

Even if I only listened to female a cappella I would want more driver surface area done correctly.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/20/22 at 22:43:02

Well, like so many things in life, it seems like there are people who respond to the smaller single driver speakers and SET/SEP combination, and those that don't.

I use a Mini-torii with custom sized CAMs from Omega. I listen near field in a small room 9x12'. I also use a deep hemp sub. I love the combo. My only qualms are the limited sub-bass, but aside from that, I've never had a better, more visceral sound. I listen to similar things to you and very noisy rock - and the texture you get from the omega alnico is insane.

I also have a 3XRS in another system and love the natural bass that the cabinet creates. It is not thumpy but organic. It is certainly not for bass-heads, but I find what it puts out quite satisfying.

If I was looking for a new speaker I'd go alnico XRS - but right now I have enough speakers to go around Smiley.

I also have a SE84UFO, but without the mods - and that gets paired with the 3XRS. I can't speak to the newer mods/25th anniversary amp - but with what I have I am very happy with the Decware Omega sound - as are many others.

Louis knows his speakers - so his advice is always very good. Cheers - Scott

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #6 - 11/24/22 at 16:16:07

I use Louis’ original Super 6 XRS Alnico speakers rated at 96db by him. I use them both in my large room, 24x20x18 and my smaller room 12x13x8 in what are considered near field listening positions. I own and use the Zen 25, Rachael 341.5 and a Taboo mkIV on these speakers. I have used them w/ both Vinyl, digital and streaming services.
My personal favorite amplifier is the 341.5 (w/ some wild and expensive tube rolls) the 341.5 at 6wpc is perfect for my preferences and overall is as Holographic as the Zen25 but provides a slightly sweeter and warmer flavor that I prefer.
The Zen25 is the most holographic and “spacious” sounding amplifier i own but thus far my tube rolls with it tend to be  dryer and more analytical as far as sound signatures go. I am able to sweeten the signature on the Zen25 but it always costs me on bottom end bloom thus i don’t tend to use that option often.
The Taboo MKIV is more mid-centric while maintaining excellent space and depth in the soundstage. Wonderful micro-detail but more rounded on the bottom and top end than both the other amplifiers. When iam really focusing on vocal centric music that is an easy go to for its warmth and more traditional tube styled liquid-like sound signature.

I would love to add a second Zen25 and bridge them both to use as Mono-blocks pushing 6 wpc, that is an eventual desire and goal.

I do use subwoofers but they are not necessarily needed all the time. Most of my listening is done at low volume, between 40-60db. The Omega have a stupidly great dynamic range and at thise volume levels provide more information and performance than many speakers at many times their cost. The Omega are also fast attack spekers and when used in a properly set-up room have incredible imaging and timing, you really need to spend many thousands more to get better. Subwoofers add an excellent increase in depth and space when tuned a certain way and provide deep sub 30hz bass output. For more modern music though, my preference is bigger, 3 way+ speakers being pushed by hundreds of class A/B watts. I can push the Omega’s into higher SPL levels, but a low watt system just doesn’t have the big, bold impactful sound of a properly set up high wattage system using bigger speakers thus i limit the Omegas to whatvthey excel  at.

My Taboo is for sale simply because i have a more powerful mid-centric amplifier available for use that also works well on my low efficiency speakers thus making it superfluous. I hope this bit of information helps you out.

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
in.the.fields
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 12/07/22 at 06:00:43

In my experience, 2wpc has been surprisingly powerful with my Omega CAMs.  I'm not using Decware gear, but rather a slightly lesser powered Yamamoto A-08s 45 SET amp.  As I assembled this setup recently, I could only go off other user reports and my own calculations... so I was very happy to hear that my math had worked out on what dB I had hoped to be possible.  The resulting sound is the best I've ever heard, replacing my previous (also excellent) Eminent LFT-8b planars driven by 130wpc Mosfets.  

A few caveats -- First, I'm running a carefully matched 15" Rythmik subwoofer to fill in the bottom end... which I *very highly* recommend (or a similar 'fast' sub).  Second, I'm listening near-field, being only about 7 feet from each driver in an equilateral triangle configuration.  Third, I only prefer to listen at moderate SPLs anyways... somewhere in the ballpark of 80dB.  I knew I would want to have at least 15dB of headroom for transients and peaks, so since the CAMs are rated for 95dB at 1 watt, I figured I should be good...

Not only am I good, but I'm totally smitten Smiley.

My room is an irregular shape, but it's roughly 280 sq.ft. with cathedral ceilings.  The speakers are about 5 feet from the front wall, and a little more from the side walls.  I sit about a foot behind the middle of the room, with my rear wall about 9 feet behind me, and the side walls about 5 feet away... So, essentially, I'm doing a near-field setup in the middle of a bigger room.  This sounded superior to me versus using the surrounding space to gain more distance from the speakers.  That extra surrounding room is not wasted, but rather allowing for minimal reflections on all sides.  After many, many placement variations with careful comparisons using the same test tracks, this was what prevailed.  

I bring up positioning because, of course, that is going to have a huge impact on whether you will feel that you have adequate SPLs or not when using a flea watt amp... Nearfield is your friend in multiple ways.

Have fun experimenting!

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/08/22 at 03:21:52

Quote:
One 8" driver per channel can only move so much air. Adding more surface area to energize the room adds a quality that isn't really discussed in reviews. Our body feels the sound waves. Just because the note is hit technically, it doesn't mean it has the full information transfer. Listening to a live cello there is a visceral impact. The body takes in the energy and information and relays it to the brain. It's much more that hitting the note.

Having had the S3HOXRS and now the Custom Vintage 8 HO (two 8" drivers) I would concur with the above statement.  I'm not saying that Louis is incorrect, he actually helped me to choose what I have, he knows his product best and I'm sure that as new things are developed things change.

What I am saying is that there is a lot of truth to the above comment.  I FELT exactly what is said in the quote with exactly the same instrument.  I was listening to Melonge, when the cello was played in the low registers, FIRST I FELT it and then I heard it.  That's right, first I felt the that low register sound of the body/strings and bow including the rosin.  It happened, I felt it then I realized what I heard.  Yes it all took place in a matter of seconds but there was a definite order in which I experienced the reproduction of a cello in my space.  I played it several times over because I wanted to make sure that I wasn't imagining it.  The complexity of this is hard to explain.

I do not think that would have happened without moving the amount of air that was moved as fast as it was moved.  

I would like to add this, without the rest of the components being up to "speed".  No speaker would have reproduced the experience IMO.  Source, amplifier AND speaker all have to synergize.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print