Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 02:44:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bypassing Potentiometer (Read 724 times)
Morph
Verified Member

Bypassing Potentiometer
11/19/22 at 08:11:30

Hi Everyone

Sorry for again bugging you with a noob question.  I'm so so close to finishing the build but I've realised that I've purchased a 3 pin, and not 6 pin potentiometer.  I'm in Australia and it takes forever to get parts sent here.

Reading through the forums, there are instances where people have bypassed the potentiometer with a resistor.  I don't need a volume control, or at least can do without it until the part arrives but, may I ask:

1. How do I physically bypass the potentiometer?  ie which bit do I solder to which bit?

2.  In different posts there is mention of a 1k resistor and in other posts 100k resistors.  Which is the correct one?

Again apologies from a poor health industry guy trying to understand and get into electronics.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: Bypassing Potentiometer
Reply #1 - 11/19/22 at 14:23:43

Hey Morph,

Chugging along are you. Great!

Bypassing is easy on the board. Using a preamp will be needed to eliminate the pot. No resister is necessary and really unwanted. This will only degrade the signal a bit by adding some resistors that might not be exact match values and heat some of that good signal away.

Looking at the back of the board from the top between ZKIT1 and SE84 stencils is the holes for mounting the input wires. The three parallel line trace that kicks to the left about a third way down and continues almost to the bottom where the middle of the three end then the remaining two go to the right ending at the pot mounting holes is where two wires can be jumpered from those ending holes to the next set just to the right. The last set is ground and not used being that the center line trace terminated somewhere else for audio ground. That is it.

This will feed the input directly to the 1K grid resistors of the 6N1P input tube.

Alternately to be zen, the + input wires could be directly attached  to the center pot mounting holes and - input wires to the holes on the right of the center ones eliminating the trace route of the board.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Morph
Verified Member

Re: Bypassing Potentiometer
Reply #2 - 11/20/22 at 11:03:45

Hi John!

Thank you so much once again for you're help, you're a Legend Wink.  It's very kind of you to take the time to share your knowledge and support.

It's the last step I have to do before firing up the amp and seeing what happens.

Wish me luck Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print