Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:47:33 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Audio rack minimum amp clearance. (Read 1727 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Audio rack minimum amp clearance.
11/16/22 at 16:26:56

Just set up my new audio rack that I acquired after doing an overhaul to bring back to life.  After some planning this is the setup that I came up with.  

I believe Steve recommended 6 inches of clearance  from the top of the amp to the next shelf.   I have close to 9 inches of clearance for the Torii on the large shelf, but only 3.25 inches of clearance for my Zen amp on the small shelf.  Has any one run a Zen amp with a similar clearance?  I just took a temperature reading and the shelf is about 106 degrees, the rectifier is measuring at about 210 degrees, and the power tube is measuring somewhere around 220 degrees.  I know some guys run a small computer fan to pull excess heat out of the area,  so I guess I can do that if need be.

While I could just move the Zen amp next to the Torii, I would not be able to run the Zen amp with Will’s custom power cord directly into my PS Audio Soloist outlet due to its shorter cord length.  

Now… I could swap the location of my power center with the turntable which and allow me to use Will’s power cable, but that would mean I would have to plug it into my Monster Power center…….but I would sacrifice transparency which is what I’m trying to avoid.  

The final option would be to use Will’s Power cord for my upcoming ZROCK2, plug that into the power center, move the Zen amp next to the Torii and buy another power cord long enough to go directly into the PS Audio Soloist. My Torii uses an DHC-1 so I’m ok with that.

Any advice would be appreciated.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: Audio rack minimum amp clearance.
Reply #1 - 11/16/22 at 16:39:22

Dom,

I think you'll be fine with that open side rack, plenty of air circulation from sides and rear. You could always get one of those tiny low noise fans to use clipped to a shelf if you're concerned about heat build up.

I have my CSP3 in an open rack system with only 4" of clearance. No issues with that set up.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 11/16/22 at 16:43:25

IMO it is a sliding scale. Perhaps as important as the exact amount of clearance above is how warm or cool the room is when the amp is on, and how much space there is around the amp. My pre/headphone amp is in the same ballpark as a Zen for heat dissipation and has 4, maybe 5 inches clearance and my 300B amp slightly less. But the room in general is pretty cool and there is lots of space around both amps front, back and sides. I've had the WA22 for years, the 300B a couple of months and so far (knock on wood) no problems.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/17/22 at 06:24:56

Hey Dom, nice rack - good job!

I’m with HK, I believe I have the same rack he does and my CSP3 is on the 2nd shelf with about a 4” clearance. No issues.

Brad

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 11/17/22 at 07:06:43

HK and Brad,

Thanks for your input.  While I figured it would be  fine…I just wanted to make sure.  If you guys are running your gear with similar clearances and no issues….then I am sure I will be good to go.  

CAJames….very good point.  Totally makes sense and I didn’t even consider those variables.  Now that you mentioned it…there is a HVAC duct in the vaulted ceiling that is near where the rack is located.  The Torii would be more susceptible since it’s higher up.  I’ll keep an eye on it for sure.

This rack is a short term solution to keep me busy until I can build what I want… which is a 4 tier independent  live edge walnut slab.  Besides the wood work involved ….it’s the cost of the slabs.  I got this library bookshelf  from a friend, but it needed a major overhaul.  It needed a total sanding job, 2 layers of gel stain, 5 layers of wipe on poly, and a wax job.  It’s not perfect…but I’m happy with the outcome.  It actually fits the room nicely…. So I anticipate this rack will remain for longer than intended.   

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/19/22 at 15:10:13

Hey Dom,

I think you did a stupendous job on that rack, it looks super!

Brad

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 11/20/22 at 05:58:51

Thanks Brad.  I’ve been stepping up my game lately with wood refinishing.  My wife really loves the piece with the way it came out.  It’s actually damn heavy, so the turntable will benefit from its stability.

Dom

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print