Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 21:32:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Decware 5U4G-ST rectifier (Read 12048 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

New Decware 5U4G-ST rectifier
11/15/22 at 22:06:04

No longer able to reliably secure Russian 5U4G tubes, we are now having our own made custom for Decware.

These 5U4G tubes were custom made to match the specifications of RCA 5U4G - ST bottle rectifier tube with the ribbed plates. We prefer getters on the bottom so that the top of the tube remains clear allowing you to easily see the heaters glow. We also specified black bases and thicker glass. These are custom manufactured for Decware by a Chinese factory called LINLAI.

Some background on LINLAI...

Psvane is derived from Shuguang. LINLAI™ is derived from Psvane. It is no surprise to see some similarities across their tube offerings, since the engineers are hopping from one employer to another. However, each brand has its own core offering.

Shuguang is dominant in the entry level tube segment serving the Hi-Fi tube amp manufacturing wholesale market and guitar amp wholesale market. However, Shuguang has been in shutdown mode since 2019 with the sale of its urban land to real estate developer, and new factory relocation / re-opening in Jan 2021 hasn't been confirmed. Will Shuguang return to tube production? This is a question to be answered and no one knows answer, since Shuguang is Chinese state owned.

Psvane has been active in Hi-Fi tube market and now is moving into producing small signal tubes (12AX7, 12AU7 etc) that fills the demand from the wholesale guitar amp market that left open by Shuguang. This diversification is likely to distract some of Psvane’s focus from the upgrade Hi-Fi tube market.

LINLAI™ – As a young and upcoming brand, but not new to high end tube design and production, is exclusively focusing on Hi-Fi market. It has introduced two innovative series – Elite E-series with “Moly plate” for ultra high end, and the other DG-series with “Overhung filament” structure for the affordable yet high performance segment. Sonic feedback from early adopters has been very positive, let alone its competitive pricing compared to other Chinese tube brands. LINLAI™ has successfully cannibalized into Psvane and Shuguang’s market share in domestic China. LINLAI™ also produce a range of black bottle tubes, and WE replica tubes.

-Steve Deckert

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: New Decware 5U4G-ST rectifier
Reply #1 - 11/16/22 at 00:55:05

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
michaelG

Reply #2 - 11/16/22 at 15:35:32

It looks good! It ‘s great to see that Decware is carefully selecting / designing or building every part of their products with so much attention.
Will this tube be sent with all Decware amps?

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/16/22 at 21:30:18

Beautiful tube Steve!

Good choice by using the tried and true RCA specs.

Let’s hope your business relationship with Linlai isn’t defecated upon down the road if and when the Chinese communist party decides to ramrod the company right into the ground and completely blank up everything, just like everything communism touches.

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/16/22 at 22:47:45

CCP, nuff said. Thanks for being forth coming with the origin.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/17/22 at 04:01:35

Congrats Steve—great move, this.  What about offering a cryo option through Don—to get the full Decware endorsed treatment!  It would be compelling to some customers to pay a little extra and have it delivered fully treated vs. receiving it and then arranging shipping to Cryotone. Just a thought.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/17/22 at 04:04:26

Really looking forward to having some Decware brand tubes in my Torii! Fun to see Decware evolving.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #7 - 11/17/22 at 20:13:23

Timely this!

It just so happens that three new rectifiers are needed here.  A telephone call is in order.

It would be nice if Decware were able to have all the tubes that are normal complement for our amps.

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/18/22 at 00:59:41

Mine arrived today. The first hour has it adding a bit of warmth compared to the oem CSP3 rectifier; time burning in will give a better perspective. Physically it’s a very nice bottle shape and the gold logo adds a wee dash of panache.
Material played: tracks 2-4 Joshua Tree (30th anniversary release)

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/18/22 at 15:59:59

Steve, ballpark what is the estimated lifespan of these rectifiers?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/22/22 at 17:54:37

Cryotone offers a 5u4gb tube (https://www.wathenspeakers.com/store/p18/5U4GB-WC.html) for $156. That's 3 x Steve's price ... hardly a little bit more.

Lon, if a government messes with a company's business, which in turn messes with quality, that is audio related. Brad stayed within the lines. I think we can show a little, very little in this case, resilience.

Steve, thank you for obtaining a reasonable source for quality tubes.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/22/22 at 20:23:36

Brads post would have saved me some $$$

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 11/23/22 at 20:51:33

it snowed yesterday. If I can get my gd hands on my order before I die...I'll be all set! For real.  :) Now on for a great Thanksgiving!.  [smiley=icqlite20.png]

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/23/22 at 21:05:13

Hey brother Mike,

Give it hell!

Happy Thanksgiving to you 🍺

Brad

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 11/23/22 at 23:51:14

Hey Mike,

What part of Montana are you living? I spent a fair amount of time in and around Missoula while my son went to college there.

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 11/23/22 at 23:54:05

By the way, the LINLAI tube is available thru eBay and other sources. The bottom getters are not unique to Decware, fwiw. I found the same tube for $27. Steve's testing process aside, that's a notable savings for a rectifier tube.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 11/26/22 at 13:28:38

It seems that DECWARE laid down the specifications for these, including thicker glass, copying the RCA 5U4G. I am sure that he required them to be designed to have a decent life span and sonics as well. Otherwise why put the DECWARE name on them?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #17 - 11/26/22 at 15:04:04

Got three of em for the CSP and UFO's.

Very happy that I did!

Small treated room
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 11/26/22 at 16:02:47

Paul, what rectifier tube did you have previously?

What do you like about these better than the others?

IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #19 - 11/26/22 at 17:37:42

Safebelayer,

You made me drag out the old tubes.

My preowned UFO's came from two different places and I had no idea how old the tubes were.  One was a Valve Art 274B and the other Electron 274B.

The interesting thing to me was that I had to turn down the volume on one amp as it was much louder now.  Tubes matter I guess.

Now to find two matched sets of EL84's and two of the tiny tubes.

Thanks for asking.

Small treated room
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 11/26/22 at 17:51:34

Wow, good move! Though those two rectifiers are probably very similar, possibly made in the same factory, new rectifiers can make a profound difference in sound, and the sound should be more balanced as well.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #21 - 11/26/22 at 18:32:36

Many folks may feel that my kit is "Mid-Fi".  But, I have listened to some very well regarded systems and this one sure sounds like it is in the ballpark.

After many years of taking advise from others on tweaks, modifications and the "gizmo of the month", with no real improvement on sound I'm very cautious.

A very nice man sold me the PS Audio DAC.  It has proven to be the best DAC I have purchased to date.  The UFO amps beat anything I have owned.  

Right out of the box these new rectifiers sound excellent to these ears!

Small treated room
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 11/26/22 at 19:07:29

Paul, with that DAC and those amps and good tubes you are not in "mid-fi" land! Wink You have some very good gear, enjoy the sound!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 11/26/22 at 19:35:43

PS: I can help you with some tubes if you want to PM me. I gotta lotta.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 11/26/22 at 20:02:50

Many might consider my set up mid-fi too, if this is based on entry price. If your system sounds good to you and makes you happy, who cares what some "expert" declares to be hi-fi?

I am sure there are things I could do to make my room sound better, but I am very pleased with my sound overall. I enjoy listening to music on it and think it sounds pleasing. Glad your system sounds good to you!

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 11/26/22 at 20:04:25

Paul,

Very nice system you have. Mid-fi means nothing other than some neophyte thought a certain amount of money is needed to have excellent sound reproduction. NOT TRUE.

I would encourage you to speak with Lon about tubes. Your signal/preamp tubes will make a tremendous difference. That said, I would stay away from the mediocre red tip Russian stuff Steve sells. There are a lot of Russian tubes out there from reputable sellers. Personally, I would check out the amperex 7308 tubes and military 6922. Contract this seller, he usually has more tubes in stock.  https://www.usaudiomart.com/userfeedback.php?user_id=41763. My opinion.

Regarding rectifier tubes, you replaced junk with some good tubes. Once again, the valve art tubes Decware sells have a long history of poor quality. For all you that had good experiences, I said, long history, not, all of them suck.

There are some outstanding nos Russian 5u4g types that are excellent. The European gz32/34 tubes are excellent as well. These can be notable more expensive these days. The Russian counterparts from the 70s-90s are nearly or as good depending on one's system. Personally, I do not like the RCA rectifiers, as I find them to be a bit veiled...in my system (2018 Torii mkvi, 25th anniversary mods, nos Svetlana 6550, nos Mullard 6922/6dj8, nos Svetlana 5u4 equivalents, nos Mullard cv4080, nos Sylvania JAN OA3.

I run both vinyl and digital rigs and tower speakers.

Have fun with the tube rolling.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 11/26/22 at 20:24:53

Personally I think those red-tipped tubes from Steve are the best of the type, and if partnered with a brighter rectifier can sound very good in the Zen amps. I find the 5R4 type a good match. To me it's all about the whole complement.

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 11/26/22 at 20:32:41

It is amazing for me to read how much influence various tubes can have on the character of your amp. Lots of experimentation in my future it seems.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #28 - 11/26/22 at 21:00:38

I thank everyone for their encouragement and help.

I feel very fortunate to have the items here.  Most is preowned by others but it is all loved in this house.

Small treated room
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #29 - 11/27/22 at 01:13:03

I have created a new board called OFF TOPIC POSTS.  I have set it up as a catch all for moderator deleted posts.  In testing it, I marked all the off topic posts in this tread and hit delete expecting them to go into the new board.  They did not.  Because I am the administrator they did not move to the new board but were actually deleted. Apparently only the moderator can use this function but we will find out as further testing takes place.

I am also deleting the rule about politics. Simply those posts, or conversations that are off topic will be moved by the forum moderator to the OFF TOPIC board where they can still be read and replied to.  If someone deliberately starts a thread specifically about politics, the entire thread will be moved to the OFF TOPIC board because the topic of this forum is AUDIO.

-Steve

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?board=OFFTOPIC

WWW   IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #30 - 11/27/22 at 03:08:26

Quote:
It seems that DECWARE laid down the specifications for these, including thicker glass, copying the RCA 5U4G. I am sure that he required them to be designed to have a decent life span and sonics as well. Otherwise why put the DECWARE name on them?
That's what got me excited about this thread. Have been extremely happy and thankful with all of Deware's cables and power cords! Also with Steve's vendors. Enjoying all the Lii audio speakers and Cryotone tubes.

safebelayer, To answer your question the picture of tubes I posted are Shuguang Treasures they were in my preamp for months when one day they sound really bad. Replaced them and put them away. Next time I took them out noticed a big crack in the glass. That's why this thread caught my attention. If I knew back when I bought them that Shuguang was state owned would have passed on buying them.

Long story short my friend bought some F15s and a cheap amp from Amazon. Was letting him try out rectifiers he's into my RCA 5U4G. So I shared this thread with him. Trying to get a group to order some Decware amps and get on the waiting list. That let into a discussion that gave me a headache the other night.

Fast forward to today big game, friends over and the topic of this thread came up. Boy what a mess. Not going to share what I think. All I will say is my framed Decware T-shirt was removed from the wall and turned around. Not by me. Man what a headache and a little embarrassing. This was all fueled by outsiders not understanding the  "politics" and history of this forum. Going to stop there sorry. My opinions don't mean much. I'm on the live and learn program.

Personal note: To my friends. If you get into Decware great and if you join this forum please don't get political. Veiws, the definition of words and their intent were all posted by other members who are not official spokesmen of the company.

Proudly ordered two of Decwares 5U4G. What's the point of being a greedy capitalist if you can't spend money.

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 11/27/22 at 04:35:56

Yay, Steve. Now we need to reinstate Brad's active status.

Global moderator position should be retired. Thanks for your efforts D.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 11/28/22 at 14:32:47

Okay Paul2, as I offered I have just packed some tubes up for you that will go in the mail today or tomorrow.

You will have new input tubes you can roll in your amps and preamps, and new output tubes that you can use in both amps (two pairs of the output tubes, same ones that Steve sends with the amps, though not ones that came from him, they were eBay buys).

You will have three  European NOS 7DJ8 tubes, two  GE "Smokey" 6DJ8, and two 5670 tubes with adaptors. This way you can experiment with different pairs in different positions.

IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #33 - 11/28/22 at 15:28:05

WOW !!

I am going to be just like the big kids.

Really looking forward to rolling tubes.  Previously I mainly only changed tubes when one totally failed.

Also, I have had problems with online tube sales as they sent me some that obviously were inferior or just junk.  This is why I have been reluctant to try  different types.

Thank you

Small treated room
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 11/29/22 at 01:45:30

Paul, that's a great opportunity.

Lon, 👍👍.

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 12/02/22 at 14:24:43

I recieved yesterday this new rectifier tube, it ran all afternoon, straight out it is lovely....and gives the UFO's look the charm it should have.  [smiley=icqlite20.png] Smiley

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
joralieu
Verified Member

Reply #36 - 12/08/22 at 14:27:35

So would this be considered an upgrade over the psvane that come with my UFO 25? Should I be looking for nos or just buy one of these? I would like to have a spare on hand anyway, an upgrade would be a bonus.

IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #37 - 12/09/22 at 13:47:26

Over one year ago I bought one psvane 274B for the SE34.  Paid over $100.  from China.  After about ten hours I wanted to smash it with a hammer!  Just one more bad experience with buying tubes that were recommended by others.

The 5U4G-ST on the other hand were an immediate upgrade "IMO".

Small treated room
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #38 - 12/09/22 at 15:19:20

Quote:
Posted by: joralieu      Posted on: Yesterday at 14:27:35
So would this be considered an upgrade over the psvane that come with my UFO 25? Should I be looking for nos or just buy one of these? I would like to have a spare on hand anyway, an upgrade would be a bonus.

IMO you are better off with NOS vs current production. Others might disagree.

If you are unsure about how to buy a NOS rectifier here is a helpful thread:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1605822949

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #39 - 12/09/22 at 15:58:11

At the start of this year, I had no experience buying tubes, and I have learned a lot.  One of the best sources of tubes for me has been CAJames' recommendation for Surplussales:

https://www.surplussales.com/Tubes-Sock-Acc/0-5/TubesListed-5.html

Another good one is Antique Electronic Supply:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/vacuum_tubes

They have excellent prices, and they stand behind their sales.  Recently I wrote them about one of their tubes that failed for me shortly after I purchased a matched pair from them, and they replaced both of them at no cost.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 12/09/22 at 18:19:56

If you want an excellent rectifier, with rock solid bass, delicate and extended highs and likely to last many years, go with the Cryotone 5U4GB-WC. It is that good.

https://www.wathenspeakers.com/store/p18/5U4GB-WC.html

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #41 - 12/09/22 at 19:35:38

I agree with Artman on that.  

I have all Cryotones in my CSP 2+ and my SE84UFO.  FWIW, I preferred the Cryo 5AR4s over the Cryo 5U4s, but both are excellent.  

There is a big jump up in price for both.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print