03/29/24 at 13:41:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Mess :-) (Read 9599 times)
Skip
Verified Member

My Mess :-)
10/24/22 at 21:54:08

Always working on things. The new SE84UFO25/CSP325 sound amazing. I need more room treatments.

image upload

image uploader

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: My Mess :-)
Reply #1 - 10/26/22 at 01:53:07

And a very nice mess it is Cool.

A man after my own heart - Sansui and Decware!  And I owned a pair of Klipsch Fortes for over 30 years.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Skip
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/26/22 at 05:08:50

I love the old Sansui gear. I see you have some as well, Geno Smiley. I've got a couple AU505's, 5000X, 2000, 350, and the AU7900/TU5900 in the photo. The AU505 is an amazing little amp, eh?

Ah, but after hearing this Decware...I believe I could part with all the solid state stuff Smiley

Cheers,
Skip

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 10/26/22 at 20:20:35

Skip,

I can see that this is a work in progress, and you may have this planned already, but I think the single best thing you can do to improve your sound, is to put a few treatment panels on the ceiling about halfway between you and the speakers.

I recently moved into a home, that the ceiling in the listening room is 8'.  Coming from a home where I was used to listening in a room with a vaulted ceiling, the echo in the new room was terrible! I have treated all walls and ceiling with panels, and a rug on the floor. I still may have to add a few more panels, but it sounds very good now.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/27/22 at 01:10:48

Agreeing with Geno, here. Very nice mess.
Many would love to have your mess.

Skip, you already know some room treatments are in your future, but have you thought of just building a couple (or more) of absorbers and setting them around here and there to help find problem areas?

I don't think there's a right or wrong way to start, unless you delay your first step. Just get going.
Take it from one who has a hard time getting going sometimes from overthinking, overplanning, over-researching, etc ...  too much.
You have so much to work with.
Take the first step! You won't regret it.

I've had decent luck. Wish the same for you.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/27/22 at 01:59:18

Geno, did you use the same (PI Audio, was it?) acoustic panels on your ceiling?

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #6 - 10/27/22 at 04:15:50

Hi DD.

Yes. They are the only treatment panels I have. I have 12 in my listening room, including two on the ceiling. And I think I could use two more up there too.

All in all, the room sounds very good now. When I first moved in, with large rug down, thick curtains, couch and chair, I used the clap test walking around the room. The echo was as bad as I’ve heard in a room. Thank goodness it is so much better now!

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/27/22 at 18:11:34

Thanks, Geno. I'm still chewing on what to do next with my ceiling.

Ladderwork still scares the crap out of me. That is how I broke my arm in three places last February.
I want to go up once, apply something smart and then put the ladder away again!
I wanted to do a herring bone pattern using the mini Sonitus panels, but they are still on backorder until November. Delayed for the third time.
Undecided

Might go with another plan.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/27/22 at 19:09:53

After listening to a friend’s stereo in his room with a vaulted ceiling, I added four panels on my 8’ ceiling. I used Fire n Sound mineral wool from Home Depot. Lowe’s sells the same thing, but it was more expensive. I covered the batts with some clothe and thumb tacked them to the ceiling. Not the best looking solution, but it works. I’m 6’7” so no ladder involved.

Mofi StudioDeck, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Skip
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 10/27/22 at 23:41:34

My room dimentions are 15' X 30' w/ 7'6" ceiling. I built a loft in my barn. Had to go with this ceiling height in order to have enough room on the main floor for my tractor and pick up truck.  Geno, it seems you're saying the lower the ceiling, the more the need for treatments. Is that correct?

DD,
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am in the same club. I take way too long to get moving. Overthinking and overanalyzing. I like that idea of building a couple of absorption panels and moving them around the room.

I don't know if you can see them, but I have two absorption panels on each wall just in front of the speakers @ the first reflection points. Built them with 1 x 4's and insullation panels. I noticed a difference immediately.

Cheers,
Skip

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #10 - 10/29/22 at 15:08:01

Skip,

Yes. Especially true, with your ceiling being lower than 8’. Treat the ceiling first reflection point just like you have done your side walls.

Next, place some diffusion, centered on the wall behind your speakers.

Lastly, how much distance from your listening position to the wall behind it? You prolly need to address that also.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Skip
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 11/27/22 at 00:24:16

Well, got some ceiling panels built and in place. Wow, what a difference it makes. Seems like soundstage (I think that's the right term) is a lot wider. Music is coming from way outside of where the speakers sit. I like it. Smiley

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 11/27/22 at 12:58:17

I like that rug near the equipment; it ties the whole room together.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Skip
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 11/27/22 at 14:27:55

Thanks Smiley

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #14 - 11/27/22 at 23:35:21

Nice, Skip. Very cool!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 11/30/22 at 20:09:32

Nice Skip! I will be attaching our Klipsch Chorus II's when the amp shows up..maybe next summer? How do you like those what looks to be Fortes? I am really looking forward to hook-up day.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print