The 300B Thread (Read 6443 times)
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

The 300B Thread
10/15/22 at 15:37:35

I know Sarah is hung up in the supply chain, but I figured this might be a good place to centralize a discussion about 300B tubes. Tubes you've heard, heard about or if you are just #tubecurious. I'll start with my experience with my Space-Tech 300B amp.

I've heard 3 pairs of 300B tubes: Electro-Harmonix (aka EH, made in Russia), "Billington Gold" (aka BG, Chinese) and Takatsuki, made in Japan.

I don't have much to say about the EH tubes. They were used and came with the amp (which was also used), and one of them was probably roughed up in shipping and had an annoying amount of hum. It was the first tube I tried when I got the amp and I didn't listen to them very long. Even beyond the hum the sound was thin and unengaging and I quickly moved on to the BG tubes.

Billington is one of my favorite places to buy tubes. They aren't especially easy to deal with because they don't have a web store, and to get the best price you need to order GBP 240 worth of stuff. But the GBP is cheap these days, Martin the owner is great and they have a ton of high quality stock.

https://web211.secure-secure.co.uk/tube-and-valve-electronics.co.uk/default2.asp...

The Billington Gold tubes were just south of 200 bucks, and figured that was a good enough to see what this 300B thing was about. The tubes sounded pretty good out of the box, quiet and much better than the EH tubes in every way. It took maybe 50 hours to really settle down. The sound is pretty much what I would expect from a 300B tube, lush, warm midrange, and definitely tipped towards the low frequencies. If anyone is looking for a high quality (relatively) inexpensive 300B tube I would recommend these. Billington has even less expensive 300B, for as little is 120 GBP for a pair of generic Shuguang (if you make the minimum order).

Compared to my UFOs they had more bass and a "juicier" midrange but were lacking high end air and sparkle, didn't have the details or the same sense of space. I rolled a bunch of 6SN7 equivalent tubes for the input and driver stages and the amp sounded really good taken on its own. I should have just stopped there...

But I couldn't stop thinking I've gone this far, shouldn't I get top of line 300B tube? Of course the answer is yes, which means I needed to pick which one, cuz this has already gone far enough and no way am I going to be rolling kilobuck 300B tubes. Based on discussions on another message board with guys who do roll kilobuck 300B tubes it seemed like there were 3 choices. I posted this in another thread but I'll repeat it here:

WE: The classic 300B sound. Gorgeous midrange liquidity, but slightly rolled off highs and lows relative to the other tubes.

Takatsuki: A little less classic than WE. Less emphasis on the mids, more uniform top to bottom. A little more transparent.

Elrog: (the current favorite) More dynamic and transparent, less warm. Not the classic 300B sound.

Maybe the best comparison I saw was in terms of female vocalists.

WE = Etta James
Takatsuki = Ella Fitzgerald
Elrog = Whitney Houston  

So I got Takatsuki and have no regrets. After about 100 hours they really sound fabulous. And my 300B amp actually sounds a lot like my UFOs. Now it has plenty of air, transparency and detail, a really nice midrange and tight, fast well defined bass. I think Steve said rolling input tubes has a bigger effect than 300B tubes but that isn't my experience (my amp, my system yada, yada). I've tried a bunch of input tubes and they tweaked the sound but going from the BG tube to the Takatsuki was going from really good to WOW!

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Re: The 300B Thread
Reply #1 - 10/15/22 at 17:00:17

Thanks CaJames for sharing your experience and thoughts on 300B tubes. I find your experience of similarity between the Takastuki and UFO very interesting. As someone one an extreme budget, how close would you say the UFO gets you there? There a huge difference in power tube prices with what sounds like a narrow sound difference from your experience. Thoughts?

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 10/15/22 at 17:55:57

You can't beat the UFO for value IMO. If two and a half watts works for you, and you like the Decware "house sound" they run up the score on anything else. But if you want the 300B experience you can't get that without a 300B amp.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/15/22 at 20:54:17

My assumption was that the UFO can’t be beat for value, with both low entry price of amp and cheaper tubes. In our hobby there is the curiosity factor of how other things sound, and the 300b is well regarded for, I assume, good reason. I’d hate to miss out if the difference were night and day, but I don’t see how I could afford the best tubes and from your account, cheaper 300b tubes aren’t as good as the UFO. At the same time, the best UFO power tubes are cheaper than the cheapest 300Bs.

I am tempted by the Sarah because of all the hype, but I just don’t see how I could afford both the amp and good tubes. On top of that, I’d have to put out big money again if a few years for new tubes. It sounds like the UFO brings much of the pleasure without as much pain.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 10/15/22 at 21:29:51

Two things to note here. . .CA is talking about another manufacturer's amp, and his experience with a few tubes, not the Sarah and tubes in that amp. And the very expensive 300B tube amps are purported to last far longer than the small tubes the Zen amps use. I get about one year out of the power tubes I buy from Steve, and the Western Electric 300B is warranted for five years and I have read reports of persons using them far longer.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #5 - 10/15/22 at 23:17:27

Quote:
Posted by: chapsjon      Posted on: Today at 20:54:17

...but I don’t see how I could afford the best tubes and from your account, cheaper 300b tubes aren’t as good as the UFO.

I didn't like the cheaper 300B tubes as much as my UFOs, but that is my taste. I'm confident others would prefer the lusher, "tubier" sound and be happy trading it off for the space and transparency I value so much in the UFOs. I imagine the Billington tubes are pointed more in the direction of the Western Electric 300B and that isn't the direction I was looking for.

Also, as Lon points out my amp isn't Sarah. My amp was voiced for the EH tube so that is starting from a different place.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/16/22 at 02:13:30

Thank you CA and Lon for the additional insight into 300B considerations. I guess what I'd need to know in order to make an informed decision is how the cheap 300B tubes in the Sarah compare to the UFO.

I am still unsure how well that would work for me as I would likely wonder what I was missing from premium tubes and I just don't know if I can reconcile that kind of expense with something meant to be consumable, even if guaranteed to last 5 years.

I am also curious about the small UFO tubes only lasting one year. I thought they were rated for 10K hours? Even if left on 12 hours a day, everyday, they should last 2 years. Am I missing something, or is it more a case of they have life left after 1 year, but are diminished somewhat and cheap enough to replace before fully spent?

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 10/16/22 at 03:35:51

I have been replacing mine every year because I use them every day and a lot of hours a day. After about ten months I compare them to a new set, and do that periodically after that. Usually when I compare them after about a year they don't sound at their full potential any longer and I replace them. Others might still use them.

They are NOT expected to last 10,000 hours I don't believe, more like 2,000.

As for premium 300B tubes, it's a personal choice I would think where one wants to draw the line. I think I will/would go with the WE tubes for reliability and safety sake and because their sound characteristics have become legendary, I want to experience that in a great amp. As you say it's about prioritizing dollars. I know persons who spend more than 300 dollars a year on alcohol. I spend about 50 dollars on a wild year--I just don't really drink. So I'd rather spend it on other things like great tubes.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #8 - 10/16/22 at 04:15:07

Hi CA James,

I was curious about your 300B amp, and I thought you mentioned it by brand a couple months ago, maybe not. I searched for it, but the Decware search engine only allows a review of of a member's last 100 posts. Your reference may have been beyond that.  What amp did you settle on if you don't mind me asking?

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #9 - 10/16/22 at 15:34:06

My amp is similar to this:

http://www.thebestamp.com/Single-Ended_Tube_Amps/SE-300B-BAL.php

Technically mine is an "updated" original SE-300B-BAL, not a MK2. Not sure exactly what the differences are. It was also half the price .

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/17/22 at 03:10:04

CA, how’s the amp sounding?

Brad

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/25/22 at 04:37:02

Well that went over like a lead balloon.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #12 - 10/29/22 at 15:19:47

So, after listening to the (expensive) Takatsukis for a month I decided to go back to the cheap Chinese tubes for a day. FTR they look a lot like the white base, gold pin Guiguang tubes I see on ebay. Before I did that I swapped some tubes in my pre to lean up the sound a little to combat the (IMO) excessive "richness" I experienced using them initially.

Honestly, my first impression was a little disappointment in the sound compared to the expensive tubes, or my tricked out UFOs (which I haven't heard in over a month now). But as the day wore on and I could evaluate the sound on its own terms it was still really good. One of the things I've struggled with on this message board is posters who are chasing "density" because I don't know what it means. If it is lower mid/upper bass "richness" or "fullness" (what I think of as the classic 300B sound I remember back in the day) then this amp with these tubes has it in spades. It also throws a huge sound stage in which the instruments sound big, but rather amorphous.

I suspect a lot of people would really enjoy this sound, but it isn't my cupa'. It doesn't have the detail and speed and air, the intoxicating transparency, that I love about the UFOs and the space-tech amp with the Takatsuki tubes. One of my online friends on another site has similar tastes to mine and he tried a bunch of high end 300Bs and sold them all off except for the Takastukis, which I why I choose them. I'm not going to try to talk anyone out of buying WE 300Bs, but for me I have no regrets buying the Japanese tubes. To me they are the prefect marriage of 300B goodness and UFO speed and transparency.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #13 - 12/05/22 at 15:15:45

If anyone is interested there is a pair of relatively low hour Takatsuki 300Bs for sale at head-if. I think the Takatsuki tubes sound great, at least compared to a couple budget alternatives I've tried. Conventional wisdom is they are a little more detailed, and a little more extended in the highs and lows compared to WE, but with less of the warm midrange.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/matched-pair-of-takatsuki-ta-300b-tubes.3728...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 12/05/22 at 15:23:40

Yes, the same fellow is a member of the PS Audio forum and selling them there.

I considered it--this is a good price. . . but decided I'll hold out for a pair of Western Electric, especially with a coupon from Decware. I think I'd like that tube best. Can't wait to try out the Decware 300B!

IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 05/29/23 at 14:24:05

Interesting the comparison between 300b and UFO.  I have been listening to a 300b I picked up for it's versatitlity.  It has heater voltages for 45, 50, 2A3, and 300b.  I had similar experience as CA Jame on the EH 300b without the noise.  I bought some sophia 300b/2.5V mesh which are a great improvement.  Quite happy with the sound.

I bought a UFO just because.  I've owned a Rachel, currently own a ZMA (will sell because I'm hooked on SET) and and felt like I should experience the original Decware amp.  I listed a while and it was very cool for the size.  I went back to the 300b.   Then this weekend I decided to try the UFO with a better rectifier tube and I'm hooked.  I did swap the 300b in for an hour and quickly went back to the UFO.   The 300b probalby has a bit more midrange but the UFO is fuller from top to bottom.  How does all that bass come out of the thoes 2 little SV83 tubes?  What really sets it apart is the soundstage and the space between the notes. I see why this is the amp that Steve compares others to.

Now the 300b which I have is a compromise amp with all that flexibility and that seems to limit it.  I'm actually on the list for a Decware 300b and have a custom amp on order that will probably displace all my decware amps....but for now, the UFO is kicking out some serious jazz.  

UFO_system_small.jpg

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 05/29/23 at 14:32:56

Thanks for sharing those impressions. Tons of jazz pour out of my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with the 25th Anniversary mods and great tube complements. The sound just amazes me every day. These Zen amps of all stripes are the ones to beat. . . and I do think that the SEWE300B will maybe not BEAT them but will offer an enticing difference.

I will probably, financial situation allowing, have both and keep both when my SEWE300B is built and shipped. I'm #93 right now. I have high hopes for this amp. . .which I think will be realized.

IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 05/29/23 at 15:02:11

Lon,
So what amp did you cancel to get so far up on the list?  I'm still about 10 pages deep.  

If I didn't have a bespoke amp on order I would pursue the 25th anniversary edition.  The one I have is a couple of years old.  It is 15th or 20th anniversary, don't remember which,  sticker is on the bottom.  It has jupiter caps and does not have the stepped attenuator.  I run it full open and control volume with my pre.  If I keep it I will bypass the knob altogether. and it may become my backup amp as I selll off 4 or 5 other amps.

Let us know your impressions when you get the 300b.
Jerry

UFO_internals_small.jpg

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 05/29/23 at 15:50:59

I did not cancel an amp. I'll definitely share my impressions. I'm hoping for just a touch more bass and a touch more imaging body. We'll see. I'm so very happy with the sound that I have that I sometimes wonder why I have an SEWE300B on order.

What I do with mine is I play with the gain between the amp and preamp. I find that with the amp about 80 percent and more gain pushed into it from the preamp I get a beefier sound that I prefer.

There are so many great ways to listen in the audio world. I really love my Taboo Mk IV for both speakers and headphones, though I prefer the UFO amps by a few hairs for speakers that don't need the Taboo power--there's just a natural grace as an element not as prominent in the Taboo. And for headphones I've found a really neat symbiosis with a Bottlehead Foreplay III preamplifier (without the final mod that does away with the 0D3 regulation tube) and a PS Audio GCHA headphone amp which are killer with ZMF Ori headphones.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #19 - 05/29/23 at 16:52:08

Quote:
Posted by: Carlsbad      Posted on: Today at 06:24:05

...Then this weekend I decided to try the UFO with a better rectifier tube and I'm hooked.  I did swap the 300b in for an hour and quickly went back to the UFO.   The 300b probalby has a bit more midrange but the UFO is fuller from top to bottom.  How does all that bass come out of the thoes 2 little SV83 tubes?   What really sets it apart is the soundstage and the space between the notes. I see why this is the amp that Steve compares others to.

Very nice posts Jerry. That is exactly my impression of the UFO vs. 300B as well. I've been listening exclusively to my 300B amp since January. I've posted this elsewhere but I will say it again here. The 300B amp (with Takatsuki 300Bs and fairly exotic 6SN7 equivalents) sounds beautiful, but maybe too beautiful. I feel like my UFOs were the perfect balance of truth and beauty. I think the 300B trades some truth for more beauty and I want the truth back. Of course that is not the Decware 300B, so FWIW/JMO and all that.

I should be getting my UFO25s in 4 or 5 months, and I'm really looking forward to the comparison. Also looking forward to more impressions from Sarah owners (perhaps they are too busy listening to music to spend time on a message board).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 05/29/23 at 17:05:09

I'm most interested in the SEWE300B because it's Steve's design, and his engineering has reached such a plateau and his unique sonic vision leads me to believe it will be one of a kind in the 300B amp world and will have so much of what we love in the UFO characteristic.

I sure wish those who have the amp already would chime in here (more).

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #21 - 06/11/23 at 17:29:57

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #22 - 08/19/23 at 16:42:02

I stumbled upon this piece on 300B tubes. It is not a product review or a sales piece but more on the history and producers of the 300B.

I thought it was an interesting read.

http://www.jacmusic.com/techcorner/ARTICLES/English/Portraits/300B/300B-index.ht...

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #23 - 08/31/23 at 01:32:24

I was tube shopping, and ran across this. New production Brimar 300b.

https://brimaruk.com/product/brimar-tp-300b/

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #24 - 08/31/23 at 04:23:16

Quote:
osted by: Geno      Posted on: Today at 17:32:24
I was tube shopping, and ran across this. New production Brimar 300b.

https://brimaruk.com/product/brimar-tp-300b/

Interesting. I heard that a Chinese manufacturer bought the rights to Brimar but never saw the tubes in the wild. I've also heard you can get 300Bs labeled Cossor as well.

IP Logged
Eightweight
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 02/07/24 at 02:21:22

I just received #29 Sarah amp and it’s amazing

I’m using the cryogenic 300b’

Looking for a set of western electric 300b’s to compare