03/28/24 at 18:34:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just recieved.... (Read 3987 times)
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Just recieved....
10/13/22 at 22:19:00

....my SE84UFO2,1 ....after 18 months....yes, just the time to give birth twice.
The amp I use is a FirstWatt F5, so a 25w solid state of very good sound quality, and I didn't expect much more than a tube approach with this UFO.
Immediately she is in a different league, the music seems real....period!
- OK, I could use many different words to describe that, but when you read them, they have a "guessing" meaning, so it would be useless. It's only when you listen that you understand what they stand for and you need plenty of them.
- Now, the custom ripped me off another 20% of the price......M.F...ers !!
18 months + 20% , my ears are under the charm but my stomac is painful ! I guess the ointment would be to sell the F5 may be, I'll see.
- Anyway, great amp, this shows me that the rest of the system is able to get higher and mainly where the doubt could have been with my DIY speakers.

Thanks Steve and the team, I have just to rediscover my music files now, some recordings seem better than I thought, some don't ....I spent the all afternoon listening of course, I couldn't switch off.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Re: Just recieved....
Reply #1 - 10/14/22 at 11:55:09

It will only improve as it breaks in. My 2.1 is approaching one year and is fantastic! Congrats on your amp and delayed gratification.
Cheers Bilyeaux

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 10/14/22 at 13:05:14

That's absolutely true. The amp will season and give you subtle improvements even over the first few years. These are amazing components.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 10/15/22 at 15:44:01

Congrats!

My UFOs also replaced Pass Lab amps I thought were pretty much the last word but bettered them in every way. And also "forced" me to upgrade much of the rest of my system. Yeah, it made my stomach hurt at first too, but it is soooo worth it. So worth it I got back on the waiting list for a pair of UFO25s.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 10/18/22 at 21:18:57

Congratulations on your new amp!  Like yourself I just acquired a Zen amp and couldn’t be more thrilled.  I’ve enjoyed pulling out my favorite songs to evaluate.  Please keep us posted on your experience with this amazing amp.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/19/22 at 13:02:10

I am listening for the time being, I switched to a Cryotone complete set of tubes .....I guess I need hours before making a judgement.

Something else, you guys should be able to tell me a few things concerning this UFO-2,1.
Let look at the amp front front to back.
1) In the center the first switch is to toggle between two different input. Are these inputs equal or one is preferable for my old LPs?
2) Then we have the volume knob and then just above it a second switch. The manual indicate "input tube voicing"....I don't understand its use ! Can you explain pls ?
3) Further up, on each side of the transformer, there are two exact same type of switches, same question, what are their use ? They are not mentioned on the manual.
I dared not to play with it until I have an idea of their functionalities.
Thanks to all for your help.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 10/19/22 at 15:02:50

Quote:
In the center the first switch is to toggle between two different input. Are these inputs equal or one is preferable for my old LPs?

They are equal.

Quote:
Then we have the volume knob and then just above it a second switch. The manual indicate "input tube voicing"....I don't understand its use ! Can you explain pls ?

It changes the voltage on the input tube. When the amp is on flip it. There will be a pop but don't worry about it. It will make the sound different, and typically either louder or softer. Experiment with which you prefer.

Quote:
Further up, on each side of the transformer, there are two exact same type of switches, same question, what are their use ? They are not mentioned on the manual.

They change the impedance of the output transformers. They should both be in the same position but use whichever sounds best, or you might not hear a difference in which case it doesn't matter.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/19/22 at 19:20:42

Thanks CAJ, very useful, I tested the voltage of the input tube, the original position is the good one, they know their stuff at Decware.
I guess it will be the same for the impedance of the transformer, I will check later for my next music session.
Smiley

IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/18/22 at 12:53:10

The manual for the UFO is more in depth than that for the 2.1, check it out

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print