03/28/24 at 09:54:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Roon vs. Audirvana (Read 845 times)
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Roon vs. Audirvana
10/09/22 at 22:07:56

So, I made the switch to Roon after using Audirvana for years. I had been sticking with the 3.5 release of Audirvana as I didn't like the new interface or different sound signature of the newer Studio. After trying the Origin version (after trying out Studio when it first came out)  that was released this year, I decided I should try out Roon instead and see what I thought. Long story short, I'm now on the Roon train.

Audirvana 3.5 is very detailed, especially in the high end. It seems to have a slight artificiality to the high end, but not so much that it bothered me. The newer Studio/Origin seems less artificial but it seems more sterile to me. And the interface is just awful. And very buggy.

Roon is not as detailed on the top end, but it is more dynamic and fun to listen to. Switching input tubes in the CSP-3 brought in more top end while keeping the whole thing musical. And the Roon interface is so, so, so much better than Audirvana. I also like the recommendations - which are much better than any other algorithm that I've used in the music world. Teamed with Qobuz, it really is a seamless experience between my ripped CDs, downloaded files and streaming files.

I was so impressed, I just bought a Mac mini to set up a music server in the house.

If anyone is considering Roon, I would certainly recommend giving it a try. And if you are considering Audirvana - my prayers are with you if you try to use it - as my experience this year with the new one was less than stellar. Cheers - Scott.

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Re: Roon vs. Audirvana
Reply #1 - 10/12/22 at 04:36:15

I stream Qobuz via Roon and Inuous Zenith Mk3 streamer.  I have an Intel NUC with ROCK installed on it.  

I just redid my ethernet.  I bought an EtherRegen switch.  Ran one high quality silver plated AQ ethernet cable to my rack location.  Installed the EtherRegen at the rack.  I have a short high quality ethernet cable running to the Zenith and one to the ROCK.  With everything so close I've never heard such detail.

I will add that I just picked up another pair of WE 396 tubes so I have them in both the input and driver locations.  

Having trouble going to bed at night.
Jerry

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print