04/20/24 at 09:50:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Packing Tutorial (Read 1236 times)
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Packing Tutorial
10/01/22 at 22:01:42

I got the following from a manufacuturer before I sent my amp back for recapping. I don't suppose they would mind me sharing it. Might be useful for some who have to ship valuable audio gear. I wasn't aware of sheet foam as a packing material so I thoough this was interesting.

a)  Go to your local box store, moving company, U-haul rental, Lowes, Home Depot or similar.  Purchase two boxes rated for 275 psi burst strength or greater.  The smaller of  the two boxes must have internal dimensions that are at minimum 4 inches greater than the piece you are going to put in the box in, in every dimension,  6 inches or more would be better.

The larger external box must fully contain the smaller internal box.  For item weighing more than 75 pounds a 325 psi or greater burst strength exterior  box is strongly  recommended.

b)   While at your local builders supply; locate their selection of "sheet foam", alternately known as "builders-foam" or "rigid-insulation"  This is a hard styrofoam sheet, usually found in the insulation department.  This foam has very good compressive strength and cuts easily with a kitchen knife.  Lacking a knife, if careful you can score and break.

Procedure
a)  Cut the sheet foam into smaller panels that completely line the inner box, try for a nice snug fit.  The idea is to have at minimum 2" (50mm) of hard foam on all sides of your amplifier once it is in the box.  Three or more inches is preferred. In addition foam blocks must be cut out to support the product in such a away that any impact will be taken by large panels and never by handles, switches, knobs, feet or etc.  Properly done the amplifier will not be free to move inside the inner box.  Zero free movement is the holy grail.  Handles, front and back, will have supporting blocks of foam around and underneath to absorb any blows to the  handles.

b)  The inner box must fit snugly into the outer box.  Any free space will be fully packed with hard sheet foam or something similar.  The inner box must not be free to move inside the outer box, this is critical.

c)   The Inner box must have your contact information clearly printed and visible.

d)  Both inner and outer boxes will have all seams of all closures securely taped with packing tape. Household cellophane tape, masking tape, painters tape are not acceptable.

e)  Secure an envelope to the outside of the outer box, such that it will not come free.  Inside the envelope, description of the goods and contact data for yourself as well as the intended destination.

e)  Ship insured for full replacement value and make sure you can track the package.

f) Please call the receiving party and verify the ship-to address.

NOTE:  If you ask the shipper to pack your amplifier, they will most likely put it in an unacceptable box full of Styrofoam peanuts.  The suitability and security  of packaging is your responsibility, not theirs.

BE AWARE: If the packaging isn't up to a 1-meter drop onto concrete,  or multiple 3 foot drops  to a hard surface you have no rights to an insurance claim in the event of damage.

The shippers are generally quite reasonable, we see almost no damage from properly prepared boxes, domestically or internationally.  Shippers have zero tolerance and total indifference to inadequate packaging.

In the event of physical damage to legacy (discontinued product) there may be  no replacement parts in existence, pack accordingly.

NOT ACCEPTALBE

1) Styrofoam peanuts are never acceptable, peanuts are a guaranteed packing fail.  Your amp will shift in the box and most likely break out of the box.  The recipient will receive a well torn box and if lucky some Styrofoam  peanuts.  Don't bother looking for your amp, it's gone.

2) Bubble wrap is not acceptable, it's also a fail.  Your amp will shift in the box, and most likely tear through and deflate the bubble wrap.   Fully expect damaged heatsinks, handles, knobs and switches to be missing, sheared hardware on faceplates and transformers.  The bubble warp will be reduced to shrink wrap, minus the bubbles.

The same can be said for "bags of air".  These products were never intended to be used to ship heavy goods or items with projections and / or sharp edges.

NOTE:  In neither instance will you receive any relief from the shipper, most have boiler plate protection against sub-standard packaging.

The test for sub standard packaging is as follows:  If the goods they are shipping will not survive a 1-meter drop or multiple drops of 3 feet to a hard-deck in the packaging, it is technically substandard.

Realistically a freeway event can have a box falling  five feet from the top shelf in a box truck, pack accordingly

If the item can be felt to shift inside the box as the box is rolled, the packaging is technically substandard.  If the contents are heavy and can shift location inside the packaging the potential of the package being dropped increases  dramatically!

All rights to compensation from shippers are void and no longer in effect in the event of anything perceived as sub-standard packaging.

Adding labels indicating "Fragile" "Do not Crush" or "This-end UP" are meaningless exercises.   If your instructions are not embedded in the bar-code,  no one will know.

Shipping labels go on top, if you indicate "THIS-END UP" and then apply documentation on the side... don't be surprised.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: Packing Tutorial
Reply #1 - 10/01/22 at 23:53:59

It has been my experience that Decware exceeds these standards, and I have changed my packing method after dealing with Steve and Co. 😊

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/02/22 at 01:35:44

When I got my amp back they had actually packed it a bit differently from the approach in the tutorial.

Two nested cardboard boxes, very strong. with the amp suspended inside, supported only at the corners with eight large cubes of sheet foam (i.e., notched out for the amp corners).

Nothing between the sides, top and bottom of the amp and the inner box other than about 4 inches of air. No medium to transfer shocks.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/02/22 at 11:36:01

You can also make a custom fitted foam surround by filling a stout plastic bag with big box store spray foam insulation. In the shipping container fill the bag about halfway then place the object on the bag with still expanding foam, it will fit itself around the edges and voids and create a secure form. I like double boxing for fragile bits.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/02/22 at 12:54:58

Make sure it is a stout bag in all sense of the word. If any of the expandable foam leaks or compromises a weaker bag it will just about ruin the item. It would probably be best to put the item in it's own bag and place it on top of the bag to fill with foam in the box.

This might be a better product too use in the box containing the item.

https://www.amazon.com/Instapak-Quick-Packing-Shipping-Solution/dp/B01BU5W3W6/re...

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/03/22 at 04:43:28

That’s a pretty good tutorial on packing, but it doesn’t quite cut it; only two boxes with no foam sheets between boxes still allows room for damage.  I always ship with three heavy duty boxes, with foam between each layer of boxes, and have never seen any damage at all.  Unfortunately, I’ve received many damaged items, including both electronics and speakers, that were only double boxed.  

Disappointingly, every time I have sent items back to manufacturers for mods, repairs, or maintenance using the triple box method, the third box is never used when the item is returned to me. I even had a Decware amp returned with minor damage when they tossed my third box and used only two boxes on the return shipment, and I was paying for the shipping!  It’s maddening and frustrating!

Triple boxing or crating is the only safe way to ship delicate high end audio gear.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print