Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 10:19:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adding a Aurender A-100 for preamp volume control. (Read 986 times)
JoeMc
Verified Member

Adding a Aurender A-100 for preamp volume control.
10/01/22 at 18:09:53

I have Two Decware SE84UFO that are set up Mono.
A Aurender A-100 preamp Dac
Tekton Moab speakers.

The Decwares have Bypass caps and stepped attenuators

I’d like to try my Aurender A-100
Dac / preamp and take advantage of the remote.

Questions.
#1 the Decware has stepped attenuators. What volume level should I set the Decware at? 12, 1 full 100% volume or other, does it matter.

#2 will using the Aurender as a preamp diminish to sound?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Adding a Aurender A-100 for preamp volume control.
Reply #1 - 10/01/22 at 19:01:14

Are you currently using the Aurender as just a DAC, and is the preamp just a volume control on the DAC? Either way with the reputation of Aurender using the preamp section probably won't degrade your sound.

What I would do is experiment. I'd start with the Zen amps volume set about 3/4 full and the Aurender at about 3/4 full and then just play around between the two volume controls to get to your listening levels and you should notice some subtle differences in the character of the sound and have a preference. Get the two volume controls set up at about your normal listening level and then you can adjust the volume up or down with the remote as needed.

I bet it sounds good and having a remote is a good thing.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JoeMc
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/02/22 at 00:18:15

Gotcha I’ll give it a try

IP Logged
Sinisster
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 10/05/22 at 21:35:06

I would second Lon’s post. I have seen, and tried a common technique of
1. Setting Pre-Amp volume to 12 o’clock intially.
2. Turning Power-Amps up to your normal listening(not your rock out level)
3. Leaving Power-Amps at that Volume, and using Pre-Amp Volume to control the level from there.

In the end try it all till you like what you hear, and/or use it to adjust the sound of your system like an eq. It will be very subtle on most equipment I assume. I know that I have heard a differance, usually in the weight of the music. I haven’t used my Monoblocks in awhile, but I would assume it is the same. Stepped Controls making it easier(unless you crank the Poweramp volume, which is also viable unless the manufactuer says otherwise.)

Decware SE84UFO2.1 x2 on order, Hot Rodded Sansui SP55a's(Caps & Tweeters), Boyuurange MT-34 (EL-34 Tube amp). Digital: WiiM mini, Geshelli Labs J2 Dac. Vinyl: Systemdek iix w/Adcom MC cart, Schitt Mani 2 Phono Stage.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print