04/23/24 at 20:37:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZROCK 2 experience (Read 3232 times)
Beni
Verified Member

ZROCK 2 experience
09/07/22 at 19:23:25

Last week I received my zrock 2 with all 25th Anniversary modifications. Initial problems due to the defect tube, could be eradicated with a new one. Thanks to Steve`s support the initial hum when the filter was activated could be eliminated by switching the ZROCK2 between source and preamp instead of preamp and amp.
The result is outstanding and exceeds my expectations by far.
Many thanks to the Decware team. I am already looking forward to the ordered power amps.

LINN LP12 Klimax, LINN Urika II, LINN Klimax DSM Organik, ZR2-25th, Silent Angel N8 + F1, Sonore Optical, Roon, Synology, McIntosh MCD751, SEWE300B, Torii Mk V-25, McIntosh C53/MC462, Wilson Audio Sasha DAW, PSI Audio AVAA C20 Bass Trap
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: ZROCK 2 experience
Reply #1 - 09/08/22 at 14:33:38

Glad it was an easy fix. I encourage everyone have at least one extra tube per socket. After my ZP3 was sitting dormant for 6-9? months I had 2 bad 12AX7s.

My brother ZMA had 3 sets of bad input tubes in the first few months.

I found my ZROCK2 worked better between the source and preamp too.

Even at 12 o'clock the ZROCK2 adds a dollop of magic.

Are you going to have your coming amps in two different systems? Or want to see which you prefer then sell the other?

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Beni
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 09/09/22 at 13:26:20

The idea is to evaluate which amplifier I prefer in my main system.
Then I will use this in parallel with my Mcintosh amplifier.
For me the tube amps and for my family the transistor amp for simplicity.
Smiley

The second tube amp will work in my small system with the Tune Tots.

LINN LP12 Klimax, LINN Urika II, LINN Klimax DSM Organik, ZR2-25th, Silent Angel N8 + F1, Sonore Optical, Roon, Synology, McIntosh MCD751, SEWE300B, Torii Mk V-25, McIntosh C53/MC462, Wilson Audio Sasha DAW, PSI Audio AVAA C20 Bass Trap
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/11/22 at 13:10:42

Good deal! What is the ETA for your amps? I'm looking forward to hearing how they work with the Sasha DAWs. Many years ago I had Watt Puppy 7/8s then Maxx 2's driven by VTL MB450s. I've always wondered what the Torii MKIV, UFO25th or ZMA would sound like on those speakers.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Beni
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 09/11/22 at 15:59:05

Wow the Maxx 2's powered by VTL MB450's sure were very impressive.
I am in position 150 on the waiting list. I think I will receive it in about 4 months.
I honestly hope it doesn't go too fast, so I could possibly trade in one of the two Zen SET 25th Anniversary amps for the new Sarah 300B.
I am looking forward to trying it out and will be happy to report on it
Kind regards
Beni

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/14/22 at 11:48:54

It was impressive. Funny thing about that system, 4 dedicated lines run and generic PCs to everything. Now I consider power to be one of the most critical aspects to get correct.

You might be the only one of 1,000+ people who hopes it doesn't go too fast! Ha! I get your reasoning behind it.

IP Logged
Ahb3u
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 10/16/22 at 19:39:42

Hey Groovy Sauce
Did you try your ZR2A between your dac and the autoformer?  How did that compare to between the zp3 and the autoformer?
Andy

EtherRegen/AfterDark Double Emperor clock> Innuos Zenith SE> Phoenix USB reclocker>Modwright Oppo205 and TD125>VosneRomanee>SE84ufo25> Caintuck Magnum Lii F15, Rel S510, Townshend Supertweeters and vibration control; Sound Application SA-XE Line power conditioner
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/17/22 at 12:29:18

My ZROCK2 has been modify extensively, it is radically different than the 25th modded ZROCK2 that came from DECWARE.

The ZROCK2 between the ZP3 and Autoformer works great. Between my DAC and autoformer I get a tiny bit of distortion, again my ZROCK2 has been heavily modified from Stock 25th Ann. My DAC outputs 2.9 volts and I might be used a higher gain tube. With a DAC that outputs 2 volts it works great.

ZROCK2 after the Autoformer makes more sense. That way it can be used with all sources. The 47k input impedance is high enough to not have any matching issues.

How long have you had your EMIA? Are you enjoying it?

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/17/22 at 18:09:38

Groovy, can you provide some detail around the additional mods on your ZR2-25?

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 10/17/22 at 20:11:33

Those are top secret special classified Will upgrades! Wink

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ahb3u
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 10/18/22 at 03:05:50

I have had the EMIA silver and copper Elmaformer here on audition for 10 days or so.  I saw Groovy Sauce post about it in the preamp for SE84ufo25 discussion.  I got into a conversation with Dave Slagle who quickly set up the audition.  I got them in just before I got the ZR2A in from Joman (a true gentleman).

So the EMIA units are awesome. The soundstage got twice as high and deep.  They are so fast.  Like steroids for the amp!  My dac has balanced outputs to a zbit like device (so Vrms of 4.2). That’s great for the  Elmaformer.

But like you have noted, that may be part of the reason I have had a bit of a hard time figuring out how the ZR2A fits in now.  I liked the ZR2A fed by the zbit like transformer, but I love the EMIA Elmaformer.  Both might be too much?

I am going to experiment some more with the ZR2A.  I think I will keep the Silver Elmaformer although both the silver and the copper are great!

Andy

EtherRegen/AfterDark Double Emperor clock> Innuos Zenith SE> Phoenix USB reclocker>Modwright Oppo205 and TD125>VosneRomanee>SE84ufo25> Caintuck Magnum Lii F15, Rel S510, Townshend Supertweeters and vibration control; Sound Application SA-XE Line power conditioner
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/20/22 at 12:13:25

Quote:
Those are top secret special classified Will upgrades! Wink

Winner winner!

Ahb3u, I hear you. The EMIA Autoformer has its own magic.

I really enjoy what the ZR2 does and brings. After the autoformer seem to be where it will end up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print