Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 03:29:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Geno joins the D.I.Y. club (Read 4375 times)
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Geno joins the D.I.Y. club
09/06/22 at 12:44:41

Inspiration from the likes of John and Donnie, I decided to have a go at making new speakers. The design is a variation of the Liionidas baffle.

I’m moving into a new house next month, so I decided to start fresh. I did not want to lose the Randy Rash curve in my baffles, but that was outside my crafting ability.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Re: Geno joins the D.I.Y. club
Reply #1 - 09/06/22 at 14:17:26

Really interesting wood pattern, what is it?

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 09/06/22 at 15:54:42

Acacia butcher block counter top - 1.5"

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
RonP
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 09/06/22 at 19:29:34

Ok, Geno. This is interesting. I mean.. are you me?   Smiley

I spent all weekend listening to my new-ish Caintuck Fast 8s and have all but deicded to sell my tower box speakers. The Betsy Fast 8 needs more base, but otherwise sounds fantastic. Just last night I stumbled onto the Leonidas OB speaker design. Lii sells the baffle for $800.

Please keep us posted on your progress and your findings. I want to head down a similar path as you. [smiley=dankk2.gif]

Ron

Ps. And I too am moving soon and own the CXN V2 + Mr T diffusers. This is spooky.

Nottingham Ace Spacedeck TT w/Heavy Kit + AudioMods S6 + SoundSmith Paua mk II • Modwright PH9.0XT • Cambridge CXNv2 (ModWright) & CXC • Modwright LS99 • Decware TORII MK5 • PI Audio UberBUSS • TriodeWireLabs Power Cables • Clayton Shaw Caladans (Ordered)
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #4 - 09/06/22 at 22:29:21

Hey Ron.

Perhaps we are brothers from another mother Grin  

I had definitely thought about getting the baffle from Lii, but did not want to spend the $800. Buying the countertop, and making it myself, I'm only out about $240.

I have been running this driver combo for several years now, and like them very much. Changing the layout and material has slightly different sound characteristics (mostly with the C-10 being about 10" higher).  The solid hardwood has a positive effect too.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
RonP
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 09/06/22 at 23:45:47

Wow! $240 is a bargain. What are you doing to replicate the supports/brackets on the back of the baffles?

Nottingham Ace Spacedeck TT w/Heavy Kit + AudioMods S6 + SoundSmith Paua mk II • Modwright PH9.0XT • Cambridge CXNv2 (ModWright) & CXC • Modwright LS99 • Decware TORII MK5 • PI Audio UberBUSS • TriodeWireLabs Power Cables • Clayton Shaw Caladans (Ordered)
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #6 - 09/07/22 at 02:49:41

The supports on the back are exactly like the Liionidas. I may put a few more small angle braces on just for extra support.

I’ll say this too - coming from 1.5” Baltic birch plywood baffles, the solid hardwood has made a pretty surprising improvement in SQ. I was really just going for a nicer look, and the improvement in sound is a bonus.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/07/22 at 08:23:49

Really really nice Geno! You are a master.

Brad

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/07/22 at 09:50:42

I knew you could do it. Just start, that is all. Plywood, mdf, drywall, osb materials just have no business serving as open baffle sound boards. Solid wood is the real deal!

Nice job Geno!

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/07/22 at 11:54:41

Geno, those look terrific! Willing to share a photo of the backside? Acacia is a beautiful wood.

Good luck with the move! It's exciting and exhausting in my recent-on-going experience.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/07/22 at 16:32:51

Hey Geno,

I’ve said similar before and I’ll say it again….your vintage gear is a turn-on!

Brad

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 09/07/22 at 18:11:23

Beautiful job, Geno!

I have been looking at laminated hardwood counter top materials for a while. Closest really cool ones I can find to me are a five hour drive away in an Ohio company delivering Amish jacks of all trades goods.
But amazing selection and the prices are even better.
Just can not justify a ten hour round trip any time soon for my own fun stuff.
Shipping is prohibitive!

You said you made yours like the Liionidus open back baffles, so did you have the metal bracing fabricated for you?
And the base?

Some inquiring minds want more details. You've inspired many!
Grin

Adding:

I will DITTO what Brad just posted.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #12 - 09/07/22 at 21:17:32

Thanks guys!

The vintage gear is great, but I had to take the tubes out of the line-up when I put my house on the market. With my Decware amp on the floor, it was going to get stepped on for sure. The good news is that the house sold a few weeks ago, but with the move into the new house coming, I just left the Zen in the box.

DD,

I got the corner bracing for the back from Lowes. And the butcher block came from them too. Two 25 x 48 pieces for $119 each. And the shipping was free. As heavy as it was, I don't know why they offered to do that?!?!

I had enough wood left after cutting the face pieces, to make 12" deep bases too. Could not have worked out better.

I hope your wife is doing well. You guys really went through the ringer. Speedy recovery.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #13 - 09/07/22 at 22:02:17

I wish that I had the guts to build speakers!

Great job Geno!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #14 - 09/08/22 at 00:46:38

Donnie, you mean guts enough to build more than one pair a month!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #15 - 09/08/22 at 00:59:12

Here is a photo of the back. I plan to try the Liionidas side panels on each side of the bass drivers to see how that sounds.

Also, I plan to come up with a better speaker terminal setup. Tidy things up some.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 09/08/22 at 20:32:39

I just hafta ask. How hard is this wood to work with? There have been times that I was sorry for choosing the wood that I did on certain projects.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 09/08/22 at 21:53:44

Loooking good, Geno!

Thanks for the heads up about Lowe's. I honestly had not taken them seriously for such materials as you have found.
Our local ones (three within a close drive) each have a hundred feet of counter tops standing on end, various lengths, finishes, widths, compositions, but the only ones they display are either partical board or solid poplar base with laminated tops and I did not want to go that route.
I had not thought to expore their custom/special order catalog.

I usually want to just go in and get what I want and get out from any of the Big Box stores.
After unchecking the "search only local pick up" box on my account I found all kinds of neat hardwood stuff I did not know they had available and almost all items include free shipping.
That free shipping is because they already have most things sitting in a warehouse somewhere and run dozens of trucks out of their warehouses every day.
If you can wait for the next truck, they will bring your order to your local store free of shipping charges.

The acacia is beautiful, but I am probably going with a light maple butcher block. I have a long way to go still, but you've opened my mind and encouraged me.

Thanks, again.

PS
Mrs. DD is doing great, thank you. I added to my other thread concerning her recovery, today.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #18 - 09/08/22 at 22:04:52

I'm thinking about trying some bamboo plywood.

Here in the middle of a cornfield is a hardwood desert, but there is a Lowe's and a Menards close by. Maybe Lowe's is the answer.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
RonP
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 09/08/22 at 23:06:56

Thanks for the picture of the back, Geno!

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 09/17/22 at 17:05:46

Wow Geno,

They look great nice job. Interesting to hear about the improvement switching to solid hardwood.

Joseph

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 09/17/22 at 22:42:32

Geno, looking good. I'll say it again they are beautiful. My guess is they look better in person too. The W15s are a fantastic subs pair with the Crystal 10's... oh buddy! I hope to hear the W15 and C10 together some day.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 11/03/22 at 02:12:39

Beautiful!
I like the look at that wood quite a bit. I bet they sound great.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print