Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:39:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is Your Favorite MM Cartridge? Suggestions? (Read 3429 times)
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

What is Your Favorite MM Cartridge? Suggestions?
09/05/22 at 11:46:54

Licorice Pizza Lovers, What is your favorite Moving Magnet cartridge?
My TT came with an Ortofon which I replaced with a Shure V 15
Next was a discontinued NOS Empire EDR9 that  was a revelation.
After a year I had it retipped with a Shibata nude stylus.

After I could no longer find Styli for the Empire EDR9 I upgraded to a Clearaudio Maestro V1
I've retipped it twice, now I am ready to try  something new ?

Not sure what the next step up would be.
Suggestions?

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Re: What is Your Favorite MM Cartridge? Suggestions?
Reply #1 - 09/05/22 at 15:16:53

If we are sticking to MM carts, Here are the ones I currently use, in no particular order. JICO makes carts for most of them.

Grace F-8 (sub stylus Sony ND-150GE)
Shure V 15 III and IV (w/ JICO VNE and SAS)
Technics EPS 205E
Shure N-44G
Nagaoka MP-110 (new stylii easily available)
Audio Technica AT-150E/G.

MI
Pickering XV-15/ 625E

These all sound different and are one reason I prefer records. I can listen to the same album on same setup with two different carts and get slightly different presentation. I went the route of (mostly) vintage IOT broaden my range of sound signatures instead of spending more money on one cart. Others may disagree with my approach, but it works well for me as not all records are mastered the same. Certain ones play better to my ears with certain carts.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 09/05/22 at 15:39:51

The only cartridge I'm using is a Rega Exact2 on an RP3 with ALL the Groovetracer mods, the TTPSU and new Rega Reference belt. Love it.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/05/22 at 16:57:27

Here's my favorite:

Audio-Technica VM740ML

Great tracker and outstanding performance for a reasonably priced MM cartridge.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #4 - 09/05/22 at 19:41:25

Thanks I took a good look at both Audio Technica's , the Grace too and the Shure DJ cart.
If I was going to buy something vintage I'd want to get NOS from a dealer, I don't think I wanna take a chance with eBay. I saw some people are just selling the cartridges without the stylus and its after market for premium prices. When I found the empire EDR 9 it was a bargain but the prices went up triple from what I originally paid for them. I don't think I'll be buying any more one K cartridges anytime soon now I like the idea of getting a good MM for a nice price

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #5 - 09/05/22 at 19:43:34

The Rega Exact2 looks really nice. Must be nice with the Rega arm.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 09/06/22 at 01:55:23

I have not owned a lot of cartridges over the years. No doubt there were personalities to each of them. Surprisingly, I have found that the AT95SE 'cloned' by LP Gear is a keeper. It was the price of only $200 that made me decide to try it out. The Shibata stylus gives this cartridge the chance to find detail that I like so much.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/06/22 at 02:44:58

Your recommendation of the AT95SE is great one I'm sure. Though I don't have direct experience with that model, my 150E/G is excellent and likely the best tracker I have. As you note, it also does excellent with detail. What it trades compared to others is a little warmth. AT makes excellent carts though.

I'm not sure I could choose just one, but the Grace F-8 is my favorite. Part of that is how I happened onto it in a Japanese thrift store. The F-8 and F-9 sound so good, that many have them retipped and/ or rebuilt (rare for MM's) as NOS stylii are very hard to find and, when found, are expensive. As I mentioned, one can sub a JICO stylus made for the Sony ND-150GE. I have done this (saving my NOS stylus) and it works well.

RE finding NOS vintage carts or stylii, I am unsure how possible this is now. Maybe there are some dealers that are sitting on NOS stock, but they've got to be expensive. I have had excellent experience with JICO stylii, so in my opinion so long as they make stylii for the vintage cart you are considering, buying NOS is less of a concern.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #8 - 09/06/22 at 11:41:08

Pardon my pun but thanx for the tips

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/06/22 at 17:01:33

While it is not a moving magnet,  I have a high output moving coil cartridge  - which in many/most cases can be used with a MM amplifier -  I have the PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp which is for both MC/MM and run it through the MM side.

The Dynavector 10x5 MKII - I love it. Shibata stylus - tracks nicely - was a big improvement over my Ortofon  2M Blue.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #10 - 09/06/22 at 17:22:59

I wonder how these suggestions compare to the cartridge I'm using now which I've had for 15 years, I've had it re-furbed exchanged twice and just examined recently by SoundSmith so it's good to go .

I'm using the Clearaudio Maestro, the first version from around I'm gonna say 2006. in between maybe about five or six years of downtime.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 09/06/22 at 18:17:32

I have no experience with the Clearaudio so can't say. I have posted this reference before, but I highly recommend the vinyl engine site for cart reviews, specs, and other general info. For example, here is the link for their Grace F-8 info: https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_reviews.php?make=Grace&model=F-8

Though most reviews don't make direct comparison between carts, sometimes you can piece together generalities on how a cart may sound in comparison based on reviews and specs.

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #12 - 09/06/22 at 19:55:52

Yes I did check out the Gracie 8 Grace 9 Smiley I'm gonna take another look at that particular review.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #13 - 09/07/22 at 01:07:21

I think that it might a good idea to consider high output moving coil, or even a moving iron cartridge.
I owned a DynaVector 10X5 many years ago, and loved it. Recently, I owned a moving iron (I forget the make at the moment) and was surprised to hear what it had to offer.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #14 - 09/07/22 at 02:15:48

Yes I will after I compose the system I want as a goal.  I like the new balanced turntables on the market. I'd like to run a balanced signal front end to output to the speaker.  I'd like to keep my turntable and records in a different room then my listening space for vibration isolation. Then I'll think about MC or MI . Top of the line ClearAudio MM has the same stylus as the 25K CA MC cart. But I want new choices till then.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 09/07/22 at 17:54:31

Stanton 981s was my first MM, which I think fits this topic.  '90s era.

I had bought a step up transformer to help with existing gear and, except for needing to go farther with the gain, it sounded amazing. Though a bit soft with gain in my ability to integrate it properly into an SAE Preamp of those days, I always wanted a full on MM pre to match it to.

Still have it and it needs a stylus replacement, but even the early efforts, MM seemed like the way to go at the time. A stylus was difficult to find at times.

Kind of hoping to try a more modern version at some point.

Keeping an eye on this thread.
Wink

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 09/08/22 at 14:00:13

The idea of running a balanced signal all the way to the speakers has intrigued for many years. It would seem to be the more natural way to do it.
Also, the idea of going balanced from the TT to a headphone amp and then balanced to a set of headphones comes in at a close second. Could be the idea of eliminating the room from the equation.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #17 - 09/08/22 at 17:35:59

Quote:
the idea of going balanced from the TT to a headphone amp and then balanced to a set of headphones comes in at a close second. Could be the idea of eliminating the room from the equation.

This would seem the simplest route FOR ME to go with Decware. All the other  solutions are not balanced totally front end source to output. I have to do more research.

IP Logged
rocketmotor
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 12/05/23 at 15:48:21

Seek out a Stanton 980 or 981 and a Black Diamond nude stylus or a Grace F9 and have it retipped. Either of these will give you excellent sound.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print