Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 04:13:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why Do Triodes Sound Cleaner and More Powerful (Read 1213 times)
Dana
Seasoned Member

Why Do Triodes Sound Cleaner and More Powerful
08/18/22 at 02:48:56

I went to the PNW Audio Show and got on an email list.  A different amp manufacture sent me a PDF 7 pages talking about triodes vs pentodes.  I can't find the article online so I'll just post a couple of paragraphs.  I don't know anything about this but it sure was interesting and makes sense how two watts can fill the room.

Why?

This is the same type of simplistic thinking which says “to pass a vehicle on the road I want to be in the highest gear possible. Clearly I can accelerate harder in the top gear, with the highest top speed, than in a middle gear, with a lower top speed.” Fortunately, we all know more about cars than that!

In the case of amplifiers however it becomes even more important than simple “gearing” of the output transformer. It also involves the “torque” of the tube itself, and triodes have much more “torque” than pentodes/UL. So not only are we using a better gear with our triode amps, we have switched to a higher torque “engine” by using triodes. So what about triodes, technically speaking, gives them more “torque”?

The first advantage of triodes really is “TORQUE”!
Triodes have much lower plate output impedance (higher “torque”) than UL connected pentodes. For example, the venerable 6550, at typical bias current, has a plate output resistance of 3,000 in UL but only 500 ohms in triode. (As an aside, in “TRUE pentode” mode, with a fixed screen voltage, the output impedance is 50,000 ohms! That’s why you never see a high end audio power amp made this way even though it is capable of even more power than UL. Therefore any subsequent mentions of “pentode mode” imply “pentode/UL”.) This means that to produce a respectably decent damping factor one uses MUCH LESS feedback, 1/6 as much, with a triode amp than with a pentode amp. In fact some triode amps use ZERO feedback – you could never get away with that with a pentode amp!

The second advantage of triodes is their complete lack of something called “partition noise”. A quick search (google “Partition noise in electronics” if you would like to read more) comes up with: Partition Noise: When a circuit is to divide between two or more paths then the noise generated is known as partition Noise. The reason for the generation is random fluctuation in the division. Not a bad definition but let me tell you a bit more about this noise and what it means to the audiophile. Obviously the “two or more paths” are present in the Beam Pentode because their electrons will be split between plate and screen. The triode has only one path – the plate – and so it has no partition noise. Of course this explains why pentodes are inherently noisier than triodes but it does not explain the insidious nature of partition noise in audiophile terms. The big trouble is that partition noise goes up and down with the voltage difference between plate and screen. When they are the same, such as in a UL amp with NO SIGNAL coming through, the partition noise is very small. Amplifier noise is measured with no signal present, because this is much easier, and a UL amplifier can measure just as quiet as a triode amp with no signal present. However, when the music starts playing the plate and screen voltages separate. The screen voltage swings at about 40% of the plate in a UL amp, so when the plate is swinging 100 volts AC the screen is only swinging 40 volts AC, resulting in 60 volts AC between the two!. When the plate and the screen voltages separate this partition noise increases dramatically, especially when the screen voltage is higher than the plate because then the screen becomes more attractive to the electron stream.  (Obviously triodes, and triode connected beam pentodes, always have zero partition noise.) The fact that the noise changes as the screen and plate voltages separate mean that this partition noise is modulated by the musical signal itself. Any noise which is modulated by the signal is perceived by the human ear/brain as PART of the signal. When a noise appears to be part of the signal we audiophiles call it “grain”. Of course the higher thinking part of the brain knows that this “dry” or “whitish” or “grainy” sound is NOT a natural part of the instrument or human voice, but the ear/brain has already recognized the correlation and it is impossible for us to mentally take the noise out/off of the music. (True random noise, which is not correlated with the music, is not identified by the ear/brain as being part of the music and so it is much less destructive. This has been observed by many top reviewers, including the legendary Harry Pearson.)

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Re: Why Do Triodes Sound Cleaner and More Powerful
Reply #1 - 08/18/22 at 03:45:43

Boo!

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/18/22 at 05:35:51

I thank you for posting this Dana. I like the technical discussions.

I would report, Terry Gesualdo is making the La Dolce Audio amplifier in pentode mode, not UL and prefers that mode. His amp got a good review. The Decware Taboo is pentode mode as is the Mini Torri.  One more is Gerry Curtis' Spud amp.
Here is a paper Terry wrote about Pentode amps.
https://www.ladolceaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/WhyPentodes.pdf

An interesting topic.

Brian

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 08/18/22 at 10:41:39

I did not know Terry was building amps. Terry used to be a very frequent poster on this forum.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/18/22 at 12:42:26

Nice articles guys. Interesting. I can identify with the complex harmonic issue with SET.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/19/22 at 05:06:42

Hello, Lon
I miss Terry. He had a lot to contribute.

Brian

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 08/25/22 at 14:02:57

Interesting conclusion along similar lines regarding triode vs. pentode and tetrode in Steve's "Thinking aloud.  . . " post in the 300B Develpment thread.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Leonardo Warner
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 02/08/23 at 15:18:07

"The Decware Taboo is pentode mode as is the Mini Torri.  One more is Gerry Curtis' Spud amp.
Here is a paper Terry wrote about Pentode amps.
https://www.ladolceaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/WhyPentodes.pdf"
Are you certain that this is a useful device?

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/09/23 at 05:20:38

Hello, Leonardo
I have not heard the amps mentioned. I will leave the reviewing of their sound to those here who have heard them.
I thank you for your interest. Topologies  is a fascinating subject to me.

Brian

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print