04/19/24 at 17:12:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware and Buddhism (Read 3662 times)
E.T.
Verified Member

Decware and Buddhism
08/07/22 at 02:33:55

Trust me, no one wants a religious debate on Decware any less than I do. This is just about understanding the company's origins. I will note that I practice zazen at a temple near me as often as I can, as well as at home, which is what leads me to this line of inquiry.

So is there a connection between Decware and Buddhism outside of branding and drawing parallels between the amplification provided by Decware products to a state of peace and equanimity?

Wu-Tang Forever
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Re: Decware and Buddhism
Reply #1 - 08/07/22 at 06:27:06

Heavy

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
E.T.
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 08/08/22 at 05:14:32

lol...not meant to be. Just wondering!

Wu-Tang Forever
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/08/22 at 13:10:28

E.T. you live in the Detroit area?

IP Logged
E.T.
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 08/10/22 at 02:53:25

Quote:
E.T. you live in the Detroit area?

Yes, east side. Just moved back after 16 years in Arizona.

Wu-Tang Forever
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/10/22 at 04:59:36

You should gave stayed in Arizona.

Brad

IP Logged
E.T.
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 08/10/22 at 06:39:27

Most of my family is in Michigan. Arizona is my second home and an incredible place, but I'm getting into middle age and just want to buy a house and be around family.

I am not ruling out becoming a snow bird in, like, 25 years.

Wu-Tang Forever
  IP Logged
rayd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/10/22 at 09:34:53

Are you familiar with Steve's Audio Paper "The Zen Design Process" and his design approach to the original Zen Triode amp:
https://www.decware.com/paper24.htm

I love this quote from the paper:

"The design evolved through a series of choices that presented themselves as options solved through intuition."

I think intuition and feeling is very powerful in the design process - probably relying on the subconscious - https://neuroinsights.in/2020/07/12/conscious-and-unconscious-thought-processes/....

I loved learning of Steve's intuitive and organic design approach and it proved itself in the listening - that's why I bought a Zen Select years ago and still have it. I can only imagine what an SE84UFO sounds like theses days.

Decware SE84CS Zen Select, vintage Philips CD880 w/CDM-1 MK2 transport & TDA1541A S1 DAC, Parker 95's, Promitheus Audio TVC Reference 1, Blue Jeans Cables, NOS Tubes, HAL-Os
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 08/10/22 at 10:40:31

I spent 33 years in Texas after adolescence and young adulthood in NE Ohio, and returned to NE Ohio 9.5 years ago. I feared I would hate the winters and long for Texas weather at least that part of the year.

To the contrary I discovered that living out in four seasons is something I missed and really enjoy. (It helps being retired and not having a timetable to get out in the mornings--I get my deck, stairs, driveways  and cars cleared so my wife can go to work and then I can just sit back and enjoy the beauty.) I actually like the cold.

This is a beautiful country and so many great places to be. We're lucky in so many ways (including the fact that we can travel and be where we want to be). I'm looking forward to cooler weather next month and beyond right now.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/10/22 at 11:38:35

The only connection would parallel...WTH...I just got done listening to Dire Straits and just returned from within the music!

Always thought that I would love to move down Flordia in retirement. Aging made the realization of air conditioned indoor living just will not cut it for me. Love the season changes and fresh air!

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #10 - 08/10/22 at 12:55:06

RayD wrote Quote:
Are you familiar with Steve's Audio Paper "The Zen Design Process" and his design approach to the original Zen Triode amp:

I love this quote from the paper:

"The design evolved through a series of choices that presented themselves as options solved through intuition."

I think intuition and feeling is very powerful - probably relying on the subconscious.

The Unconscious - the part of the mind which is inaccessible to the conscious mind but which affects behavior and emotions:

subconscious
of or concerning the part of the mind of which one is not fully aware but which influences one's actions and feelings:
(not in technical use in psychoanalysis, where unconscious is preferred):

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go  - John Lennon

There is a difference between Buddhism and Zen

Zen is a branch of Buddhism that originated in China, when Buddhists were introduced to Taoists.
Buddhism
Goal To attain enlightenment and be released from the cycle of rebirth and death, thus attaining Nirvana. The end of the cycle between birth and death.

Zen
Goal to gain enlightenment

TAO
The Tao is in reality undefinable but in Chinese philosophy it is the absolute principle underlying the universe, combining within itself the principles of yin and yang and signifying the way, or code of behavior, that is in harmony with the natural order.

IMO Zen is a name well chosen for tools that allow us to achieve bliss while seeking enlightenment from music while on the wheel between those two goals.

Zen and Tao are major philosophies that often stand apart from religion

In the ninth century, the Buddhist sage Lin Chi told a monk, "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." He meant that those who think they've found all the answers need to start questioning.

https://youtu.be/dE_XVl7fwBQ

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/10/22 at 22:31:29

Quote:
You should gave stayed in Arizona.

Brad they are running out of water in Arizona.

I'm 11 miles north of Hitsville USA.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #12 - 08/11/22 at 19:54:47

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #13 - 08/12/22 at 02:05:36

ET, welcome to the family and thanks for asking!

Quote:
Zen and Tao are major philosophies that often stand apart from religion

Exactly.  Zen being about seeking enlightenment for me and nothing to do with religion. And enlightenment interestingly leads to discovering simplicity.

When we discover something simple that transcends the norm, we often find there is an amazing complexity behind it.  

Like the Zen Triode Amplifier where the design experiment began with a lot more parts than it ended with. 

-Steve : )

WWW   IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/14/22 at 10:16:09

You disappear, and all there is, is The Sound.

IP Logged
E.T.
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 08/17/22 at 04:27:24

Quote:

A very illuminating read. I like that it didn't try to divorce Buddhism from metaphysics, as a lot of westerners often do, but used Zen as an analog for how Steve designs products.

And I sadly agree, it has become quite the buzzword. Everything that takes quiet focus and concentration, which then leads to deeper understanding, is called "Zen". Oh well, though. We can only change ourselves and the way we approach problems, like: What's the most elegant and intuitive way to power speakers? And to me it seems there are many ways you can get to that answer, and intuition is a vital part. It's the only way to go beyond conventional engineering, where most everything is a means to an end. How do we get this to mass production? How do we get rich? (I've taught engineering and technology classes, and the hardest thing is to get the kids to try something bold vs. just making another slight variation on a thing that already exists.) Perhaps paradoxically, I think a lot of the most economically successful ventures involve doing things that most everyone thinks are a dumb waste of time...until they use the thing they called a dumb waste of time and realize it's the next great thing. It's at least in part the intuition that leads to innovation and greatness.

Wu-Tang Forever
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 08/17/22 at 13:21:39

I often though the Zen meaning was a balance of good and bad in all interpretations. The middle where there is no push and pull to the ends.

The moniker JBzen was derived from J=John, B=Buzz, zen=term of endearment.

John is my first name. Buzz is the model name of my first serious bicycle. zen(master) is a nickname my closest fellow cyclists call me because of my riding style.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print