Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 01:37:18 

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
This is what a properly treated room looks like (Read 7308 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

This is what a properly treated room looks like
08/06/22 at 02:53:47

This is what a properly treated room looks like.

Yes, those are 50K speakers powered by a single SE84UFO.  The room treatment cost was 70K.

You might think that this space would sound small and congested because it is so physically small now that all that treatment is there.  You would be wrong.  I can tell you from experience the walls, all four, sound no closer than 20 feet away.  

Many people can find a bedroom in the house or room in the basement to make this happen.  No it doesn't have to cost 70K, but the fact that this individual had their priorities straight by spending far more on treatment than on speakers is rare.  Also it so SO refreshing to see a high end speaker in this price range actually utilized instead of pushed up against the wall with a TV or fireplace between them in a non-treated space.

It would be more than wonderful to have at least one Youtube reviewer with a room like this to let people know what the gear actually sounds like.  Not what you're going to hear in your untreated room which is unpredictable, but rather what the gear actually sounds like.  What it will sound like when you buy it IF properly implemented.  The other 400 reviewers on YouTube with placebo or token treatments or no treatments can easily cover the 'what it will sound like in your untreated room' part.

An Anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier is ordered for this space.  This man will clearly hear everything the amplifier is about and that is exciting because I can promise you his stock UFO in this space with those speakers will absolutely DESTROY a SE84UFO25 in a casually treated space.  And in this room, a SE84UFO25 is going to absolutely DESTROY a stock UFO, while the casually treated space scenario would make the the difference between the two amps much smaller.

It is my firm belief that many audiophiles who spent more than an evening in a room like this, would suddenly get it, realize that the sound experience goes so far past what they thought was possible that it makes sense now to sit alone in a but ugly room and listen to music.  The mindset of audio gear accessorizing your space is dissolved.  So your living space shifts to home theater or just a TV with a modestly priced stereo setup along the edges of the room for wonderful background music throughout your day.  But when it's time to be an audiophile... it's the chair.

I had a room like this, more than one over the years, and the same treatments can be built by a local woodworker for around 7K if you give him the plans.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Re: This is what a properly treated room looks like
Reply #1 - 08/06/22 at 04:30:03

Dave Elledge, now retired from PI Audio, planned a treatment package of their 4 piece diffuser set and the rest I diy’d that is relatively similar to that room, just more bare bones comparatively speaking.

Also wall to wall carpeting with the magic of the heavy rubberized waffle padding underneath (a bitch to find for non commercial use) that you, Steve, strongly recommended.

And I can say it all made my 12x10 room sound 20 times that, I shit you not. The soundstage exploded.

Plus it’s fun to stare at the front wall that’s like 80% covered with diffuser panels that I painted like 8 coats (what a pain in the ass that was) mixed with Elmer’s glue and framed in stained / lacquered wood for kicks.

A+++

I can’t wait to find out how the Torii MK 5 (should be maybe 2 weeks away) will mate with the newly acquired HR-1’s

Brad

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #2 - 08/06/22 at 16:04:59

So looking forward to listening to this type of equipment, the perfect ratio, the golden rule.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/07/22 at 00:19:39

so you're saying my wood paneling , shag carpet and faux fur beanbag chairs aren't gonna cut it??? so hard to get ahead of this game.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #4 - 08/07/22 at 01:45:53

KahunaJack wrote Quote:
so you're saying my wood paneling , shag carpet and faux fur beanbag chairs aren't gonna cut it??? so hard to get ahead of this game.

DIY to the Rescue

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
E.T.
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 08/07/22 at 02:20:46

When I get this far, I feel like my dilemma will be:

Acoustically near-perfect music room that is emotionally sterile and solitary

VS.

Acoustically adequate music room that is inviting to myself and others, facilitates social listening in addition to the solitary experience, and feels good to sit in.

I'm very sensitive to my environment, so I need to resolve the dilemma in a way where my music room will first and foremost allow me to love living this life and let me listen to music as opposed to worrying about perfecting each area of my listening experience.

In this sense, I also question my own need to upgrade my equipment from my current setup I'd describe as...Normie-plus? But then I hear about people's experiences with the separation of instruments, the lifelike experience that makes you want to (need to?) listen for hours on end, and I'm like, I want that.

This is more my own thought process than anything that's universal (I don't really believe in universals). I don't want a room that is fighting my pursuit of great sound, but I also, if I'm being honest, don't really want a room that looks like the one posted above, either. I want some place where I can listen to music alone, but where I can also introduce the newest, little members of my family to the joys of great music and great music reproduction. What are the solutions?

Wu-Tang Forever
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #6 - 08/07/22 at 06:37:45

I live in a two room apartment I will do my best, it will be doable, LR only 14 x 22 open kitchen. I'll put up a Chinese paper divider. My last  home had cathedral ceilings and timber framing with pine walls and ceilings with a lof.t We would put the drums up there when we jammed and played below.
My JBL's filled the room, it got loud.

IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/08/22 at 16:42:45

ET, I am in your same exact mental spot. Mine is a 35 long, 12 wide, 7 high basement rec room/guest room/family room. I just purchased a huge area rug and am installing with a wood "cleat". I am still trying to figure out exactly how to do that.
I do want to keep this looking somewhat like a living space as opposed to mausoleum. So, the area rug for absorption and strategic placement of furniture. I can position my Lii OBs about 5 feet from front wall, so that helps.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #8 - 08/08/22 at 16:59:56

Quote:
Posted by: E.T.      Posted on: Yesterday at 02:20:46

... I want some place where I can listen to music alone, but where I can also introduce the newest, little members of my family to the joys of great music and great music reproduction. What are the solutions?

Life is all about trade offs, right? My [l | w]ife means I have a dedicated space for my system, but if it far from optimal and there is no option for treatments beyond a thick area rug with foam padding under it. And I'm OK with that, because you don't need an "audio cave" and a 6 figure investment to get great sound. I'm proof of that.

The key (IMO) is working with what you have and making the best of it, rather than trying to force an idea that is fundamentally incompatible with your space. For me that means low power and smallish high efficiency speakers that I can pull out from the walls and sit relatively close to. So I have good (not great) bass and good (not great) imaging but the sound is big and fast and transparent and just plain gorgeous and I have no trouble getting lost in it when the opportunity arises. But I can also crank it up while I'm cooking or doing other chores and just want some background music.

And when all else fails there are always headphones...

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/08/22 at 19:10:07

The less the correct treatment employed, the more you leave the capabilities of your audio equipment left untapped and on the table.

Your choice, your gain or loss.

In my case, I spent about $1,100 which included carpet/padding. Quite a dramatic transformation.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/08/22 at 19:19:56

@BicycleJoe

that was one determined individual and Im gonna have to point out that he used VERY nice hand select pallets as Ive worked in pallet yards and none were ever that clean and crisp.

feel good story for sure. reminds me of the show I saw with a woman with no legs( cut at the waiste) swap out the front end of her Ford Mustang with zero help.

Steve said "placebo or token treatments"  so the mattress pad I cut in 1/2 and stuffed behind my speakers in the corners ?  i just shamefully walked them to my recycle bin kicking pebbles and staring at the ground all the way there.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/08/22 at 19:46:38

Lots of observational questions for sure.

I am wondering what is going on with the ceiling. I see it is wood and wood can be a little forgiving at times.

All those spectacular diffusion and absorption panels encircling the entire room and the bare wood ceiling gets a couple of rags stapled up and that's it?

Must be a work in progress. For the $$$ I would have thought a ceiling treatment might be included.
You don't just have four surfaces to address and improve; you have six, at the very least.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/08/22 at 20:59:44

Quote:
All those spectacular diffusion and absorption panels encircling the entire room and the bare wood ceiling gets a couple of rags stapled up and that's it?

DD, I nearly spit my lunch out I laughed so hard. Cheesy

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #13 - 08/08/22 at 21:12:52

Kahuna Jack wrote Quote:
Steve said "placebo or token treatments"  so the mattress pad I cut in 1/2 and stuffed behind my speakers in the corners ?  i just shamefully walked them to my recycle bin kicking pebbles and staring at the ground all the way there.

It's funny you mentioned recycling bin because that's what I use pallets to build in community gardens, usually eight pallets for three section recycling compost bin. Those pallets are rough but they are fire treated wood. I used to have a log splitter when I lived upstate. Right tools for the right job and you could knock it out 123. Before the pandemic I was heavily involved in urban gardening.

See all the pallets top right? They became a privacy fence inside the razor wire fence

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #14 - 08/08/22 at 21:25:03

Quote:
if I'm being honest, don't really want a room that looks like the one posted above, either. I want some place where I can listen to music alone, but where I can also introduce the newest, little members of my family to the joys of great music and great music reproduction. What are the solutions?

The diffusers can be wrapped with a shear fabric of your choice.  Or the entire room can be made from fabric so as to look like an untreated room with smooth walls.  Behind the fabric are diffusers and bass traps.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #15 - 08/08/22 at 21:46:59

OK, for the poor guy who drug his matteress to the recycle bin... let's talk about corner trapping.  First lets look at the wrong way to do it.

In this example, the wavelength absorbed will be up to 4 times the distance from the rear corner to the front face. So if that distance is 12 inches, the wavelength it can absorb is 1/4 of 1125 hertz or 281 hertz.  That's not even really bass.  It's mid bass.

By increasing the size of this triangle to a front to back depth of 18 inches or so, it would drop to 750Hz/4 or 187 hertz.  Still mid bass.

By replacing the fiberglass with denser material like Rockwool in 2 inch thick bats spaced 1 inch apart from front to back the same 18 inches in the free standing container the same size can absorb down to 25 Hz or so.

The container must be an air tight box with no internal bracing made from plywood or MDF or particle board.  Shape is not important, but since we are discussing corners, a triangle or diamond shape is the most effective for the smallest footprint.

This would be called a diaphragmatic bass trap.  Most rooms require at least two, many require three and some require all four corners to contain one.

These must be free standing with about a 2 inch air gap between the wall corner and the device.  This way energy can be absorbed from all sides. The energy is turned into heat.  This design is linear.  It absorbs all bass frequencies evenly.

Remember a 30Hz bass note is a wave that is 37' long.  You would need a sponge or fiberglass trap like the picture to be 9' thick to work to 30Hz.

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 08/08/22 at 21:59:38

My room is not too dissimilar to the treated room you show.  It's 9WX12L and with your eyes closed you would never know it.  Ceiling is less than 8'.

I probably have around a grand into it because I built many of my diffusers/absorbers.  Based on my experience with bringing people in to listen I believe that most people don't understand what stereo sound is, let alone what stereo sound in a treated room is.

I have a second system in a remote cottage and it is untreated - vaulted ceilings which help, but untreated.  Its just not the same experience.  I enjoy music in both places but greatly prefer the treated experience.  I have considered building a shed at the cottage which would hold toys during the winter and in the summer be my listening room.  What Randy built is my model.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 08/08/22 at 23:29:44

Mjmalon wrote on 08/08/22 at 20:59:44:
DD, I nearly spit my lunch out I laughed so hard. Cheesy

Manny, I was actually being a little serious, with my tongue in my cheek.
I have to assume that this pic was taken during a midway point of the install. It's a beautiful thing!

Surely no one alive can forget that they have a ceiling with which to contend when attempting to temper a small room like this.

Roof and ceiling is the first reason we have an inside, right?

Glad you had a laugh.
Smiley

I would love to see the finished product. Ceiling is next for me in my room.
Not sure which way to go.

I would love to hear more about the diamond shaped corner traps or maybe, since I have shallow 8' celings, maybe some truncated diamond shapes for my needs.
I did curved front panels in my front vertical corners, instead of diamonds, and it helps a lot.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 08/09/22 at 01:36:57

An acoustically near-perfect music room does not sound emotionally sterile and solitary.
Some of the high end rooms I’ve been in have a much different feel. I’ve been in a lot of rooms that claim to be acoustically optimized and they sound awful.

The good ones… walking in, stress you didn’t know you were carrying melts away. A calmness shows up. If you have ever been in the deep woods that has thick ferns and moss it feels very similar to that. You don’t want to leave.

I’m ordering acoustic treatment for my bedroom. Because it’s so relaxing and peaceful to have good acoustics.

Quote:
I'm very sensitive to my environment, so I need to resolve the dilemma in a way where my music room will first and foremost allow me to love living this life and let me listen to music as opposed to worrying about perfecting each area of my listening experience.

Depends on what sort of listening environment you want and how far you want it to go, it can be a challenge. There are excellent solutions as Steve stated. Fabric wall rooms are unique and can have a very high to desired acceptance factor.

Temporary setup.

In my temporary setup it is enjoyable. No treatment and basically no furniture. Bass is dreadful though. The speakers only play to 41hz and the bass is muddy and undefined. It does offer a lot of the things that many look for in a system. It’s never going to be a floating out of body experience that a moderately or better treated room will offer.

A really well room and system is what I guess a really good psychedelic trip is like. Time and space get get distorted, you can float around flying between the notes and explore the music in an out of body way.

Quote:
that was one determined individual and Im gonna have to point out that he used VERY nice hand select pallets as Ive worked in pallet yards and none were ever that clean and crisp.

That’s what I was thinking. I’ve never seen so many pristine pallets before!

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
E.T.
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 08/09/22 at 04:34:19

Quote:
The diffusers can be wrapped with a shear fabric of your choice.  Or the entire room can be made from fabric so as to look like an untreated room with smooth walls.  Behind the fabric are diffusers and bass traps.

And this is why I ask the questions. Thank you for this. It gives me a starting point once I have the components lined up and found a house.

I will never have 70K to treat a room, but am wondering what can be done with 5-10K.

Wu-Tang Forever
  IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 08/09/22 at 17:50:00

What is the thinking about room correction software?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

DSP vs Room Treatment
Reply #21 - 08/10/22 at 04:23:37

There are two problems with it.  One won't be obvious until you compare it to a non corrected -- but treated room. That would be the DSP itself.  On many DAC's and computers using the DSP portion of the DAC diminishes sound quality.  But if your room is too bad to hear that and many are, then the DSP will make it sound better than not using it.

The first of the two problems is that DSP correction only works for the speakers and the listener being fixed in one position.  Moving either, even just a little bit will mess up the correction.  If you hot glue your speakers to the floor and put your head in a vise there would be no way to mess it up.

That said, when your speakers are fixed in place and you're strapped into the chair, a microphone driven system that time aligns both speakers and finds the flattest response can really be mind blowing.  A system like this should be fully active so that the computer has control over the tweeter and mid and bass drivers separately.  A really advanced program could even adjust the crossover in real time based on SPL and the dynamic content of the recording by measuring the drivers response at different SPL, the distortion of that driver, phase angle, etc,. and then with a good algorithm find the most linear and lowest distortion playback possible on a second by second basis.  What's really amazing is when you can make this incredible feat sound bad with even more advanced technology.  This advanced technology is realized by using a single driver speaker with one voice coil and no crossover and a single amplifier in a treated room without a computer and minimal restrictions on where you listen in the room.

The reality is that when we listen to music in a room, we actually listen to the room with a touch of direct sound in it, but it's mostly the room.  This is why a treated room sounds better because the room itself sounds good and sounds this way with any speaker placed wherever that speaker sounds best.  Sound takes on the signature of whatever the last surface it touched was.  So it is the speaker cone and the material it is made from until that sound hits a wall and then it exchanges the signature of the speaker cone for the signature of drywall or plaster or wood.  When those surfaces are large and perfectly flat the signature rings across the surface of the the whole wall and becomes dominant.  To hear what I'm talking about listen to YouTube videos of speakers playing at audio shows or speaker demos by people in their homes.

Sound quality is diminished in rooms that have parallel surfaces.  Having furniture and bookcases and hanging tapestries, plants, and anything you can to break up the flat plane of your wall is critical.  What is on the left wall should always be different than what is on the right wall directly across from it.  So if you have a rug on one wall, a bookcase on the other directly across from it rather than another rug.  The surface of the wall is in this way ever changing so many signatures are introduced rather than one dominant one.  Also the varied refraction and absorption for these random placements will improve the imaging and focus.  The exception to this is when you start using quadratic diffusion on the walls, and even then it is staggered so that the wells within the diffuser are never directly across the room from each other.

The biggest change you can make to any untreated room is wall to wall carpet with a thick pile and a thick pad.  Getting specific about the type of pad, one that has large air pockets, will turn your floor into a diaphragmatic absorber that works clear down into the midrange.  It is exactly equal in absorption to those 2 inch thick foam tiles you see in amateur studios. How many foam tiles you ask?  Two of the four walls completely covered from corner to corner and from floor to ceiling.  Word of warning... having even a 12 inch border of hardwood around the room will diminish the effect of the carpet by what sounds like at least 50% or more!  So giant rugs are no where near as effective.  I know this by putting carpet tiles with an integrated thick pad into a room with speakers playing music the whole time.  Starting from a center line in the room and working towards the outside I was able to hear no change even after 90 percent of the carpet was installed due to that reflective right angle border.  Then as the border was filled in the entire space started to change radically.  Also, for the record, a low pile carpet glued down to a floor does absolutely nothing below 13KHz.

If you want something that anyone can do this week, carpet or not, to make the midrange of your speakers sound better, smoother, with better focus and clarity, place one of these rugs directly in front of your speaker so the short edge of the rug touches the base of the speakers front side.  The diagonal pattern and lines are a large part of why this works, but also reduces the pressure wave that stands on the face of your speaker the whole time it is playing.

You can find them on Amazon.  You can expect a similar improvement to what you experienced with your first pair of good interconnects.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 08/10/22 at 14:26:04

I’ve tried two different DSP units from MiniDSP. I’ve also used Roon and HQPlayers convolution filter capability. I spent months messing with and adjusting them. I never got it to be as emotionally engaging as no DSP. That is with a really uneven frequency response.

First issue is that the component or software adds a sonic signature even if it’s not EQing anything. In the case of the MiniDSP units it was an over all down grade of fidelity. Think going from a really nice USB cable to a so-so USB cable.

My experience is DSP is useful for 3 db max attenuation. It’s also only useful for peaks not dips. Typical rooms have +10 db gain or -10 db suck out  20+ db swings in a tight frequency band.

DSP doesn’t address reverb (RT60). If you have an RT60 of 2.5 seconds at 40hz all the EQ in the world won’t solve that problem. There are solutions with multiple subwoofers placed around the room… at that point get some diaphragmatic absorbers and do it correctly.

Let’s say you do flatten the response. What does the RT60 look like? if it varies from .3 - 2 seconds that is still not an even response. Getting bass below 1 second makes a big difference in resolution of the bass. Get it below .5 WOW! get it even lower and the texture and nuance of the low frequencies is wild.

Another huge issue is the direct sound from the speaker is what you want. NOT the reflections, NOT the room.

As a thought experiment. Take a speaker with a perfectly flat response. The in room response has a +12 db bump at 50hz and an RT60 time of 2 seconds. EQing the +12 bump out is still going to leave the RT60 of 2 seconds. Sort of since there is less energy it will lower it slightly, very slightly. That has been my experience.  This means that at 50hz the direct energy from the speaker is going to be down 12 db. The extra 12 db that is filling in is distortion. So you have a distorted 50hz area that doesn’t match the rest of the system.

This will also strip out the harmonics from 50hz. 12.5hz, 25hz, 100hz, 200hz and on. are going to be reduced. Isn’t one of the things that make DECWARE amps so amazing is the harmonic structure they provide?

Bottom line is DSP can give a net positive result.

There is no substitute for proper acoustics.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 08/10/22 at 14:45:23

IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 08/10/22 at 17:11:11

Oh geez, nevermind, I answered my own question. I can't wait to try these rugs out underneath my Lii 15 OBs!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 08/10/22 at 17:50:47

Great addition, Groovy. Opening questions some do not know to ask is always beneficial.
Lots of good points.

Back to the rubber backed rugs for a moment; is it the diaphragmatic property of the thin rubber backing that makes these effective for the mid frequency range?

I have ceramic tile on concrete for a floor and I added jute pad and poly wool over it, centered between the walls, hoping for an old school fix used in the '70s and '80s.
Should I pull the rug forward a foot or so, nearer to the speakers, and add this rubber rug over it? Or just make a path to the existing rug?

I'm all in. I want to try anything that helps. I've improved my room dramaticallly from where I started, but I'm nowhere near "there" yet.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 08/10/22 at 17:52:26

Thanks, Met.
I did a perfunctory search and some scrolling, but you found them. They're cheap!
Added to my List.
Smiley

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #27 - 08/10/22 at 17:53:21

Same old DDSteve mentioned that the borders make a significant difference
Quote:
he biggest change you can make to any untreated room is wall to wall carpet with a thick pile and a thick pad.  Getting specific about the type of pad, one that has large air pockets, will turn your floor into a diaphragmatic absorber that works clear down into the midrange.  It is exactly equal in absorption to those 2 inch thick foam tiles you see in amateur studios. How many foam tiles you ask?  Two of the four walls completely covered from corner to corner and from floor to ceiling.  Word of warning... having even a 12 inch border of hardwood around the room will diminish the effect of the carpet by what sounds like at least 50% or more!  So giant rugs are no where near as effective.  I know this by putting carpet tiles with an integrated thick pad into a room with speakers playing music the whole time.  Starting from a center line in the room and working towards the outside I was able to hear no change even after 90 percent of the carpet was installed due to that reflective right angle border.  Then as the border was filled in the entire space started to change radically.  Also, for the record, a low pile carpet glued down to a floor does absolutely nothing below 13KHz.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 08/10/22 at 17:55:20

You're talking about all the 90 degree corners in every room, right?
I have yet to address every angle.

EDIT:
OK, I thought you were talking about something else.

I definitely have more work to do taming this hard surface room!

One question I have still is at what frequency ranges are the corners causing the main problems that we have to alter.
What proper materials, products to employ, without dropping $70K or even $10k for that matter?

So many papers and vids out there just showing, "Hey, I got tools and look what I made!"  with not even a nod to the science or measurements pre or post to explain the Why, let alone the real predictable parts of the How. Most of that is BS to me.

So how is the best way to moderate or bring down bad effects from all my highly reflective corners?

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #29 - 08/11/22 at 07:42:38

Thanks Met for the above link.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 08/11/22 at 10:06:19

DD get this book.
Master Handbook of Acoustics, Seventh Edition https://a.co/d/0DFM2Ko
I have used the sixth edition to help guide my room treatments.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #31 - 08/11/22 at 10:09:15

While they would work Steve indicated even if you went wall to wall say 14'x15' = 16 pcs x $23 = $368 it would only be good to 13K hertz

STEVE Quote:
I was able to hear no change even after 90 percent of the carpet was installed due to that reflective right angle border.  Then as the border was filled in the entire space started to change radically.  Also, for the record, a low pile carpet glued down to a floor does absolutely nothing below 13KHz.

Brad Tempest 62 Quote:
Also wall to wall carpeting with the magic of the heavy rubberized waffle padding underneath (a bitch to find for non commercial use) that you, Steve, strongly recommended.
Brad have you got a link or source for the commercial waffle padding and carpet. I spent some time looking for it yesterday.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 08/11/22 at 10:16:46

BJ this is the pad that Brad is talking about.
https://www.caldwellcarpet.com/rubber-carpet-pad.htm

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 08/11/22 at 12:04:52

Quote:
There is no substitute for proper acoustics.

Another absolute with faithful reproduction inside a room.

Great run of words Groovy 👏

Thanks 😊 your Dire Straits story in a different thread prompted a search for the disks on my shelf. It was like listening for the first time all over again with the upgrades of late!

Have a great day 😀

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #34 - 08/11/22 at 12:22:59

Thanks JBzen , I'm checking on what shipping is now from
Georgia.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 08/11/22 at 16:31:14

BLo-Fi,

You will find the expense of shipping due to weight is exceedingly expensive. I tried that same route….and went another by contacting about 10 local carpet vendors and found 1 of them that was able to provide the rubberized waffle padding at a little above cost and delivered free. None of the carpet folks carries this stuff, but that 1 of 10 I found locally knew of a commercial contractor that purchased it on large contracts once in awhile since it’s only installed commercially these days….and hopped on that contract with my small order. Pure luck.

As for the carpet itself, you just need a decent quality 1/2-3/4” pile. It’s mostly about that padding.

As a side note, I very much dislike wall to wall carpeting. For my listening room a critical exception was made so that this padding would be employed.

Good luck

Brad

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #36 - 08/11/22 at 17:33:44

Thanks for the info, I'm having the same problem with other treatments too. I intend to DIY but I no longer have a shop or even the tools to make it an easier job. The diffusers that I had my eye on come from Arizona and shipping would be more expensive than the diffusers which aren't that heavy it's the size of the box. You'd think that in New York City I'd be able to find sound reinforcement at a reasonable price.

Smiley

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 08/11/22 at 17:40:53

Good grief, I feel for you.

No offense to you, is there any way you can get out of that hell hole up there? These days I can’t come up with a single thing that outweighs the long list of unbelievably outrageous negatives that is NYC on every level, not to mention the absurd leadership. And you have to ride around on a bike? It must be suffocation. I’m sorry but I really hope you get out of there asap.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 08/11/22 at 18:25:22

JBzen wrote on 08/11/22 at 10:06:19:
DD get this book.
Master Handbook of Acoustics, Seventh Edition https://a.co/d/0DFM2Ko
I have used the sixth edition to help guide my room treatments.

Thanks for reminding me JBz,
I've seen that book offered up as reference many times.

I was in Barnes and Noble about 4 yrs ago, waiting to play Daddy Taxi for my daughter's "homework club" (which amounted to a group of teenage girls laughing, mostly. I was all for it.) and I saw a hardbound copy for $89 and plowed through it for the next thirty minutes.
Added it to my wishlist.

I used your link to order my own paperback copy this morning.

Thanks again!

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #39 - 08/11/22 at 19:06:51

I've lived all over the world. New York is not the greatest city in the world but it is an exciting place to live. I have everything at my fingertips and yes I rode my bicycle near and far but mostly leaving the city and then returning to it. You're entitled to your opinion. My last residence was a home in the Adirondack wilderness Keene Valley New York. Somebody told me variety is the spice of life. Cycling is one of my passions.

So I got a quote $400 worth of padding and rugs would cost me $530 to ship. They can go truck themselves.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 08/11/22 at 20:17:56

Yup, that was about the same quote for shipping they gave me when I laughed and hung up the phone last year.

Your previous residence looks outstanding, wonderful kids and dogs.

Brad

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 08/11/22 at 20:53:35

Surely that's not the only place in the country that sells that type of commercial padding.

We basically need some padding that is made up of little bubbles that don't pop when you step on them, right?

I would estimate that within fifty miles of my location, there are at least twenty or more fiercely competitive carpet companies. There are five in town, here.
Might be worth a trip to a local installer to see what they have to offer for high traffic areas, besides that foam stuff.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #42 - 08/11/22 at 22:19:56

It's getting so if Amazon doesn't carry something nobody manufactures it. Thing is it's cheap, I could pad and cover my room in Black & Day Glow nicely for $400. The other kind is made out of felt with just a little bit of rubber and it doesn't do the same thing.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 08/11/22 at 22:48:12

Yup, it’s not expensive.

But it’s really heavy. Thus, freight shipment which is incredibly expensive.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #44 - 08/12/22 at 01:46:01

Last year for DECFEST I couldn't find this magic commercial padding so I purchased a roll of the spongey stuff, it was 1/2 inch.  I glued it down to the floor of our 10x17 listening shed that we set up as a temporary listening room for the fest.  It Amazon pad was made in China.  I got the whole floor laid with it and came out the next morning and almost passed out from the smell.  This fully explains why China is no longer worried about population control.  So I tried to air it out with a giant fan all day, then air fresheners, then air conditioning, then commercial odor remover.  Nothing worked. A couple days later I scraped it off the floor and filled our dumpster with it, then repainted the floor.  The smell finally left.  I can only imagine putting this shit in your home under a thick pile carpet where you wouldn't notice the smell as it slowly poisoned you over the coming months.  The rubberized pad on the other hand may smell like rubber for awhile, but it's not going to out gas like that foam crap did.

Ironically, the only other time I got sick from a background odor like this was also in a listening room!  I had just built 2100 lbs of quadratic diffusers for a 15 x 16 room and used medium density particle board and medium density fiber board to make them.  Back then I could get a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 particle board for $14.  Being a man cave I didn't care what it looked like, so I didn't bother painting or sealing them.  I was sick for almost a month before I figured out it was formaldehyde.

So please be careful with what you put in your room : ).  Even those mats I listed should be placed outside for a day or two in such a way that both sides can air out.

WWW   IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 08/12/22 at 03:06:43

Thanks for that advice. I think most everyone is sensitive to certain chemicals.
Formaldehyde is everywhere!
My daughter orders a nice shirt and opens it up and I insist that she not even try them on before she washes the things.
Back to our rooms.

So what is the best ceiling treatment plan?

I also notice that the "properly treated room" is completely symmetrical in its design. Even the front wall has the diffusion panels flipped to be more perfectly symmetrical.

I have read where you and others advise a more asymmetrical approach to room treatments.

I am curious, if this was your room, would you switch some panels around?

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 08/12/22 at 10:36:03

I did some searching on the pad and found two products.. Leggett & Platt's - Solano and Georgian's - Bold Ruler-Rubber.
L&P has locations across the country but seems to only supply dealers. Bold Ruler-Rubber seems to be centered in the state of Georgia with prices all over the place fron $5 to over $10 a square yard! Great for Georgians near Atlanta.

Best too do what Brad suggests and work the phone for potential overstock of a local carpet business/installer. Might even try some hotels for leads on installers they use.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #47 - 08/12/22 at 11:06:15

On Sale "Free Shipping" recycled rubber tiles 20"x20" x2"
https://rubbermulch.com/collections/tiles/products/playsafer-elevate-plus-tile-2...
?variant=42503379386603

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 08/12/22 at 21:12:31

One of the first things I addressed in my basement listening room, which doubles as a home theater rig, was wall to wall shaggy carpeting with the thickest rubber padding available for residential use.  Even the stairs leading to the basement are covered with the same.

Then I consulted with GIK Acoustics and treated the area around my listening seat with 5 inch thick bass absorbers and now I am starting to treat the front stage.  My Alpha Pro 2D diffusion/absorber combo panels arrive tomorrow (4 narrow rectangular panels four inch panels for the side walls and 2 six inch square panels for the front wall).  Will share pics once installed.

I plan to work my way up (no pun intended) to the ceiling by next year.  My only concern there is that the ceiling height is low (7 ft and change) and putting either an absorber or diffuser panels will shrink the height even further.  So I might stop at the minimum recommended 2 inch depth there.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 08/13/22 at 15:20:07

Great find, JBz!
That L&P Solano product looks very simlar to the Atlanta based company product.

They say it's 90 oz/ sq. yd. That seems fairly dense.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #50 - 08/16/22 at 00:51:23

Added additional room treatments—specifically Alpha Series Diffusor/Absorber panels

4 inch thick for the side walls and 6 inch thick for the front wall just behind the speakers.  This complements the bass traps that I have surrounding me in the listening position.

I was stunned with the sonic impact.  Resolution increased and everything snapped in to focus (kind of going from standard def to high def) and sound stage exploded in every direction, making the small room sound bigger than it actually is.  Right up there (or better) with any gear purchase to make music sound better in your rig..,or should I say equally as important?

[url] F290E593-684A-456B-9C6A-6439AE26A6D5 by Tube Dad, on Flickr[/url]

[url] 244 Bass Traps- GIK by Tube Dad, on Flickr[/url]

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #51 - 08/16/22 at 01:50:18

Nice room! Great job on the decor, and I’ll bet it sounds great!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 08/16/22 at 02:51:12

Thanks Geno! I involved my significant other in choosing the color combination of the panels and she nailed the combo w.r.t. the aesthetics and existing furniture of the room.

And after experiencing a major sonic improvement, I broached the idea of cloud panels for the ceiling and I received a “are you kidding me?” look so I backed off and figured I should quit while I’m ahead…lol.

I will also say that GIK has been very helpful in guiding me through this.  They offer a free consult where you give them your goals and room dimensions and they recommend the products that work best.  I started last year with the bass traps and my GIK rep told me to worry about the front stage later as at the time I was more in to HT.  Now that I listen to music more often and critically, they guided me on the Diffusor/Absorber models (they have several different varieties) and also recommended the thickness.  Suffice to say, I’m a happy camper.

Kamran

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #53 - 08/16/22 at 03:29:32

Very nice Kamran, Very Striking, and contemporary .

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 08/16/22 at 04:07:47

Thanks BicycleJoe! You and John will get the Director’s cut version of how this all unfolded when we AirBnB together in Peoria!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #55 - 08/16/22 at 04:46:20

The funny thing is... if you took all that treatment out of the room and tried to listen to the stereo without it you would have a brain hemorrhage. One you hear it and then remove it, everything sounds completely and I mean completely broken.

Great room!

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 08/16/22 at 05:26:21

Thanks Steve—means a lot coming from you!

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #57 - 08/17/22 at 15:41:15

Steve recommended a simple room treatment step from above:

If you want something that anyone can do this week, carpet or not, to make the midrange of your speakers sound better, smoother, with better focus and clarity, place one of these rugs directly in front of your speaker, so the short edge of the rug touches the base of the speakers front side.  The diagonal pattern and lines are a large part of why this works, but also reduces the pressure wave that stands on the face of your speaker the whole time it is playing.

Mine arrived the other day, and I am pleased to report that they contributed to SQ improvement.

On another aspect of room treatment, John Darko has just released an excellent 30-minute podcast on the SQ change in his listening room after treatment.  Hearing the recorded differences before and after room treatment was helpful.

Check it out at:  https://darko.audio/2022/08/a-short-film-about-room-reverb-and-how-its-messing-
with-your-hi-fi/

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 08/18/22 at 00:41:30

Testing The Zen Master’s rug recommendation. Fresh from Amazon and they still really stink after two days in the sun!

free image hosting sites" alt="" title="" border="0" />

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 08/18/22 at 00:56:33

Bet you have plenty headroom with 2 UFOs and the X5s!?!?
Waiting on my 2nd UFO25thAnni for my X3s but seldom ever really need it.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #60 - 08/18/22 at 01:00:12

In the case of these speakers the mat should be placed under the front feet and extend back about 6 inches.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #61 - 08/18/22 at 03:44:23

Steve,

Same recommendation for Randy's OB speakers?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print