Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 12:36:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie needs help deciphering options (Read 1883 times)
RyanMac
Verified Member

Newbie needs help deciphering options
08/04/22 at 03:44:51

Bottom line up front here are my questions:

1) Based on my situation below I THINK I’m leaning toward the Taboo MK4 as it seems to be a total package – am I missing something?  Does it require a preamp?  The site isn’t clear.

2) I was initially leaning toward the Rachael; is the headphone input option XLR and will it work w/ planar headphones? (I can’t find anything saying one way or the other)

3) Am I better served going with the SE84UFO2 everyone raves about and slowly adding other components over the years as I can afford it?  Not sure I understand how the CSP would connect.

SITUATION:

I’m still very much a newbie but I’m looking to up my audio game with a Decware amp however the more time I spend on the Decware site, and this forum, the more confused and unsure I get.  Hopefully some of you more experienced folks can give me some advice/insight on how I should proceed and/or things to consider.

FACTS:

- My current system consists of a Marantz 2235 receiver (mid 1980’s I believe), Klipsch RP-8000F speakers, Denafrips DAC (I stream Tidal via Audirvana from my MAC using an Audioquest Carbon USB-C chord), Fluance RT-85 Turntable to a Parks Audio Puffin, Dan Clark Aeon RT headphones, and a cheap X-Duoo MT-604 headphone amp

- Overall, I’m happy with my system but I’d like to upgrade it piece by piece and want the Decware amp to be the foundation I build on.

- I’m in the Army so I’m moving all the time (next summer I’ll make my 9th move in 13 years) so my listening room is always changing.  Most times it ends up in an open area DR/LR/Kitchen.  

- My current setup has no issues filling the room with sound.  When I want to listen for pure enjoyment, I typically move a chair 10’ or so from the speakers depending again on the house at that time.

- I’d like an amp that:
1) will allow me at least two inputs (DAC and record player)
2) power my current speakers (speakers will be the last thing I upgrade once I retire and no longer move all the time)
3) possibly have an xlr headphone option to drive my planar HPs

ASSUMPTIONS:

- After the amp I will save up for, and in no particular order:
1) Replace my Puffin with a Decware ZP3
2) Add a Zrock
3) Add a CSP headphone amp (if not already integrated w/ my amp) which will entail replacing my headphones too (added cost!)

Hopefully this isn’t too all over the place; clearly you can see how my head is spinning with all of this.  Again, any insight/advice/recommendations you provide is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for helping me with my audio journey!!

-Ryan

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Newbie needs help deciphering options
Reply #1 - 08/04/22 at 10:18:33

My two cents:

As you are moving you may consider the Torii Mk IV or Torii Jr as you may have larger spaces at times. (Although I'm not familiar with the Klipsch speakers you have and perhaps they are efficient enough for the lower powered amps).

With none of the amps is a preamp necessary. A preamp can be useful, but even if you choose a CSP3 you will need a phono preamp.

If you are really going to use planar headphones the Taboo Mk IV is a better choice than the CSP3. I have both--the CSP3 barely barely get my Ori planar headphones going, though it does easily drive my Oppo PM-1 which are also planar but 32 ohm. I had an earlier version of the Rachel, but it did not have a headphone output and I do not know how that would fare with planar headphones.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #2 - 08/04/22 at 10:40:52

Welcome Ryan, Not to say I am very experienced but I am familiar with educating myself about Decware by reading the different threads on the forum but that came after I called and made appointments to speak with Steve Deckert a few times.  He is completely approachable, that is one of the pleasures of dealing with a craftsman with high standards, his accessibility really adds value to doing business with Decware.

I know as I learned more I wanted to change my order several times but finally I came to peace ordering the Rachel SE34.6 integrated amp. But that might not be for you. I also ordered the ZP3 phono preamp.

I don't know the answer to the XLR headphone jack on the Rachel but recently I have been thinking about XLR and I'd like to know if I can get an XLR input on the Rachel and in and out of the ZP3 phono pre-because of the new balanced output turntables on the market.

Eventually I'd like to get a second Rachel and mono block them together giving me 24 W.

The Taboo doesn't require a preamp. It began being primarily a HP amp but has been revamped and improved to also drive speakers. I think it is in its 4th evolution.

Steve recommends you listen to the amplifier by itself If you already have a preamp so you can hear the purity of his design. He believes running a third-party preamp could actually detract from the voicing of the Decware amplifier you choose. That way after the amplifier opens up and comes into its own you can judge after you know the amp's sound then you can add a preamp and judge objectively whether its sound has improved to your own taste and A&B them.

Which amp to buy is more about your taste but Steve can explain the subtle differences, previously the SE84 UFO 25th anniversary was his Premier Amp and representative of the Decware sound and philosophies. Because of the waitlist I suggest you figure out what kind of the system you want and then make the order all at once because of the long waitlist. I can advise you that next to choosing your source the most important thing will be matching the right speakers to the system you choose.

Lots of people here be willing to help you and explain but call Steve after you get your thoughts organized.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 08/04/22 at 10:56:12

Joe, just one correction: the Taboo was a speaker amp that over the four iterations was tweaked to utilize planar headphones, not the other way around. I have the Mk IV and use it for both speakers and headphones quite happily.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #4 - 08/04/22 at 11:23:17

Thanks for clarifying that I was under the impression Mark1 did not and now each upgrade on the Taboo the speaker output was tweaked too.

PS RyanMac is that Puffin the digital phono pre-that plays all the different curves? I looked at that, they do guitar stomp boxes too.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/04/22 at 12:12:41

First of all, thank you for your continued service!  And welcome to this forum.  There is a wealth of information in this forum and in the "Papers" section:  https://www.decware.com/newsite/articles.html
I got a lot of help from the folks here and they have helped me make my choices and then some....Look to the future when choosing your amp/preamp, source, speakers, ICs, Power cables..... and in what priority.  Headphones or speakers will also be a factor.  Yep, the choices and the research will boggle your mind.  If you are rotating often and coupled with the long waitlist, look at the used market as well.  Decware stuff here comes and goes and they get snapped up real quick!
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
E.T.
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 08/04/22 at 23:35:00

Well, here goes, my first post:

The sensitivity of the speaker is critical. I looked up your speakers, and came across a review on Audioholics that claims the Klipsch-stated sensitivity of 98 dB is more like 92.

If you look at the Decware Amplifier Buying Guide (which I can't link two because I don't have two normal posts yet, but is on the homepage), a document I credit with giving me understanding watts v. sensitivity, that is the difference between going Torii Jr or SEI341.6. That's if you want Loud Power Drill + a little overhead, which, let's be real, who doesn't? That's an $850 difference in base price plus a difference in design and results that matters. I'm definitely in the learning process, years and years of experience away from being any sort of authority, but sensitivity and knowing what you really have with your speakers - the ones you have now, and the ones you are aiming for over time - matters greatly as to which Decware  (or any processing and/or amplification) product you ought to buy.

I'd also read Steve's piece on why the combination of high efficiency speaker and SET amplifier design works (again, can't use links, but it's the first under the Articles tab). It's brief and highly informative.

What I, personally, gather from all of this is that perhaps it's best to start with the speaker you have and the speaker you're targeting down the line, and figuring out which amplification option will best suit your desires. Then, look at your sources, and figure out if you need any further pieces, such as a headphone amp or phono preamp.

I look forward to hearing/reading what you decide! Enjoy the journey!  [smiley=peanuts21.gif] (I can't even put up a Linus?)

Wu-Tang Forever
  IP Logged
RyanMac
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 08/05/22 at 04:30:16

Thank you all for your input and suggestions.  Not sure how I missed the articles but that's a great learning resource for sure!  I'm going to call Decware with a couple more questions and go from there.

Thanks again!

IP Logged
E.T.
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 08/05/22 at 22:32:35

Email Steve or use the contact form. He will personally get back to you. He recommended the SE341.6 for my Cornwalls. I feel like you can trust him not to just guide you to the most expensive thing, but the best thing for your situation. I heard he also does calls, too. Good luck finding that right match of components.

Wu-Tang Forever
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print