Send Topic Print
Decfest 2022 (Read 10565 times)
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Decfest 2022
07/30/22 at 13:42:07

If Anyone is planing on driving to the Decfest 2022 in October from the NYC Metropolitan Area and would like some company I would share expenses and be a willing copilot. I sold my Land Rover when I moved back to NYC  from the Adirondacks and I have been commuting by Bicycle ever since.

Please Let Me Know

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Re: Decfest 2022
Reply #1 - 07/30/22 at 18:44:32

Tempting, I live in the NYC metro area but I am planning to fly (if you can consider flying as an option, I can share those details when the time comes because I’d love to have company too).  Btw, for those of you who have been to Decfest before, how does it work in terms of registration? Like, is there a limit to the attendee list and so you need to register ASAP to lock in your place?

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 07/30/22 at 19:06:03

We will be taking reservations for this years fest, similar to last year, capping it at 100 people.  We will post the links to the form and additional info in this thread when it becomes available.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/30/22 at 19:19:36

Thanks Steve. Will keep my eyes peeled for updates.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #4 - 07/30/22 at 19:48:57

Hello Kamran,  it would be nice to have company. I have looked at flights, all that I saw had connecting flights nothing direct at around $575 RETURN . We would still need to drive from Peoria rt and to the NYC airports. I haven't flown in years because of the TSA and now the Pandemic. I'd rather drive than deal with all that. I think a road trip would be fun, make it a 4 day weekend. It is a 13 hour drive each way. There is a local airport very close but I don't believe commercial flights work out of Jerry E Staab Airport in East Peoria only 2 miles away from Decware.

Lots of time to research and decide

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/31/22 at 01:10:37

True BicyleJoe-we have some time to consider options.  I also don’t want to get ahead of myself and want to successfully register especially before looking at flight options.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 07/31/22 at 03:25:48

The code for Peoria International Airport is PIA.

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 07/31/22 at 03:37:14

The Bloomington airport is only 30 miles away also.

Several options there, but unfortunately no direct flights from anywhere close to NYC at either Peoria nor Bloomington airport.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/31/22 at 09:41:23

I plan on attending Decfest. If you NYC guys want to take a train to Pittsburgh or Greensburg(closer to my location), I can drive from there.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #9 - 07/31/22 at 13:01:59

That works for me JB, Much appreciated. I spent a few hours trying to figure out the easiest way to get there going by Amtrak is 27 hours with three connections and a bus. Flying is at least two transfers and then a bus. More than willing to share expenses and driving if you want some relief.
After we get the exact dates we can figure out the best way to rendezvous.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/31/22 at 13:33:11

Great! Pack your bike and we can do some Burg riding Smiley

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #11 - 07/31/22 at 13:44:29

Seriously? are you taking your bike to Decfest?

I just got off the phone with Amtrak if we left on the Friday I would get to Greenburg about 7pm from there it is an 8 or 9 hour drive about 600 miles to 75 S Riverview Dr, East Peoria, IL 61611.

Have you been to the Decfest before ?

I hope this works out I'm really psyched

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 07/31/22 at 13:51:34

BJ, check your PMs on this forum. I sent you one.

John

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 07/31/22 at 17:00:45

HA! This thread reminds me of the classic “Planes, Trains and Automobiles’!

I’m most likely going to fly in to Chicago and drive over.  Looked at connections to PIA last night and it doesn’t look pretty.   Will look at the other airport too.  Just for shits and giggles, I looked up the flight time from Chicago to PIA and it said 59 min, which surprised me, since driving distance is only 2.5 hrs.

Couple of thoughts/questions/requests:

I have a lot riding on being there but the 100 ppl cap (while understandable) is making me anxious.  My humble request to Steve and team is not to drop the announcement/registration during working hours on a weekday.  Weekend is optimal to level the playing field for us working folks.  Hopefully, there is some consideration for new blood to attend.

Format/Agenda: This is important to know considering currently, I’m going with the assumption that one has to be there on opening morning (Day 1) to not miss anything important.  However, that could be a bad assumption on my part.  For all I know, all 3 days follow the same schedule and it doesn’t matter if I miss Friday and be there only Sat/Sun?  Like typical shows, does Sunday end early?  Trying to assess what attendees typically do.  Are they there for all 3 days?  If I am not missing anything crucial on Friday, then potentially I can work part of the day vs. taking the entire day off and fly in to Chicago that night.  Less time off work.

What are the nearest decent hotels?

Kamran

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #14 - 08/03/22 at 18:42:55

Sarah and Steve confirmed Decfest will be the weekend of Oct 7, 8, 9

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #15 - 08/03/22 at 21:44:02

Kamran asked,
Format/Agenda: This is important to know considering currently, I’m going with the assumption that one has to be there on opening morning (Day 1) to not miss anything important.  However, that could be a bad assumption on my part.  For all I know, all 3 days follow the same schedule and it doesn’t matter if I miss Friday and be there only Sat/Sun?  Like typical shows, does Sunday end early?  Trying to assess what attendees typically do.  Are they there for all 3 days?  If I am not missing anything crucial on Friday, then potentially I can work part of the day vs. taking the entire day off and fly in to Chicago that night.  Less time off work.

Don't think of this as just another show, it is way more laid back than that.

Think of this more like a cookout with friends.  Friends that have some really cool audio equipment to be tried out.

There is a lot of banter among other like minded folks, It is food and drink to be had, and most of all a killer listening room.
It goes on way into the night with many people sharing music and conversation.

There are quite a few people around on Friday, even more on Saturday then a few stragglers on Sunday.

I've been coming to the fest since '11 and enjoy myself every year.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #16 - 08/04/22 at 01:21:27

All will be revealed Donnie we have decided to travel early Friday morning and arrive early Friday afternoon

We have made reservations for Friday and Saturday night at a nearby Airbnb.  3pm check in / 11am check out Sunday Morning but we will probably go straight to Steve's place  

We have 2 extra beds in the Apartment we rented 10 miles from Steve's place, Split evenly only $75 each person total for 2 nights.
Let me know if you would like to Share with JBZEN and I

What this place offers
Bathroom
Bathtub
Hair dryer
Hot water
Bedroom and laundry
Washer
Dryer
Essentials
Towels, bed sheets, soap, and toilet paper
Hangers
Bed linens
Room-darkening shades
Iron
Clothing storage
Entertainment
TV
Heating and cooling
Air conditioning
Indoor fireplace: electric
Portable fans
Heating
Home safety
Smoke alarm
Carbon monoxide alarm
Fire extinguisher
First aid kit
Internet and office
Wifi
Kitchen and dining
Kitchen
Space where guests can cook their own meals
Refrigerator
Microwave
Cooking basics
Pots and pans, oil, salt and pepper
Dishes and silverware
Bowls, chopsticks, plates, cups, etc.
Freezer
Stove
Oven
Coffee maker
Toaster
Baking sheet
Blender
Dining table
Location features
Private entrance
Separate street or building entrance
Laundromat nearby
Outdoor
Private patio or balcony
Outdoor furniture
Parking and facilities
Free driveway parking on premises – 1 space
Free street parking

Self check-in
Lockbox

Another memorable rental in the heart of the village, a short walk from the historic Metamora square with Eli's, our local coffee lounge, many shops, and the historic courthouse. Several restaurants also within walking distance. Minimum 2-night stay, providing great value for out-of-town guests requiring local accommodations

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 08/04/22 at 01:36:33

I’m in subject to successful registration

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 08/04/22 at 01:56:45

Sorry for the quick response earlier—packing for a Hawaii vacation so my mind is all over the place!

Donnie: Thanks for sending the details on the nature of the fest.  Much appreciated and very helpful!

Bicycle Joe and JBZEN: Thanks for taking the initiative on the AirBnB. If things go well, I look forward to spending quality time with you two gents.  Glad to see that you two are arriving early.  I still haven’t made up my mind how I am getting there, but I’ll be in touch.

Kamran

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 08/05/22 at 11:28:27

Kamran, hop aboard with BJ. My wife's Sonic can fit three in relativly good comfort.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 08/06/22 at 09:43:17

Sorry for the delayed response JBzen. Currently vacationing in Hawaii so time is limited with all the activities planned. Thanks for the offer to hop aboard the Decfest train-seems like a great way to get there. I’ve some family in Chicago so that’s the only reason I’m considering flying in there so I can stop by to meet them. That said, haven’t made up my mind yet, but will let you guys know soon!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 08/06/22 at 10:13:07

No problem Kamran. Either way I'm sure we'll meet up at Decfest. Have a great vacation!

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22 - 08/06/22 at 15:59:28

Round trip train to PA Thursday around 10am & return Monday am $130

IP Logged
E.T.
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 08/07/22 at 02:27:10

If I can be among the 100 to register, I'll be there. Driving from Detroit. I'm up for any carpooling. I drive a Civic, small but in good shape. I'll probably just find a hotel room for myself, though.

Wu-Tang Forever
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #24 - 08/07/22 at 02:37:25

I hear camping out is an option at Steve's place.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Decfest 2022 - REGISTER HERE
Reply #25 - 08/08/22 at 01:23:54

WWW   IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #26 - 08/08/22 at 01:53:59

Done & Done Yeah! Smiley

IP Logged
E.T.
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 08/08/22 at 05:11:44

Registered!

Watched that little video. 2022 Woodstock at Decware doesn't sound so bad.

Wu-Tang Forever
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 08/08/22 at 06:35:27

Smack in the middle of a sightseeing tour, during our anniversary trip to Hawaii, I got the notification and told my wife that for the next 5 minutes, everything takes a backseat to getting registered for Decfest. Well, I’m registered, though all bets are off whether there will be another anniversary!

See you guys there!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #29 - 08/08/22 at 10:27:34

I suppose I will go.....

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 08/08/22 at 11:17:41

I was interrupted while playing with the grandkids by a phone call that confirmed my registration. Double delight! Thanks BJ for locking me in!

IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #31 - 08/09/22 at 15:50:48

Registered - Now where is my "ITFWSWC" shirt from 2006?

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #32 - 08/09/22 at 15:57:12

JBzen Road Trip I could tell you were really having fun all the giggling in the background & Kamran  yes enjoy the islands

IP Logged
DeVon Deckert
Verified Member

Reply #33 - 08/09/22 at 23:58:13

FYI for those who already registered for this years fest: The registration form was only allowing you to pick one day or the other. You are absolutely welcome to attend both days. No need to re-register. And for those who will be registering, it has been fixed.  

IP Logged
Fidget
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 08/10/22 at 04:23:32

I've enjoyed reading the forum for the last year while I've been waiting on my first Decware amp. I never had a question, so never posted.

Posting now just to say I'm really looking forward to Decfest and meeting a few of you. I'll be heading up from FL - making a road trip out of it.

See you soon!   Smiley

Ryan

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 08/10/22 at 06:00:57

Thank you DeVon, for the clarification. I was wondering about that when I registered but just chalked it up to harmless survey question. Hopefully you guys didn’t get a lot of unnecessary double registrations.

Ryan, looking forward to meeting other first timers like you and veterans alike!

Kamran

IP Logged
thevinoman

Reply #36 - 08/10/22 at 17:45:08

Hi folks.  Having never attended a Decfest before, I was wondering if there is anyone doing buying and selling gear at the event, or is that frowned upon /or under the radar kind of thing?  Not that it is my intention, but just thought I'd ask.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 08/11/22 at 08:57:10

I have bought and sold items in the past at Deafest.

No one has slapped my patty yet.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 08/11/22 at 11:31:36

Quote:
Deafest

Is that a typo or a hint to bring some earplugs Grin

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 08/16/22 at 02:57:36

Ready for the shindig in Peoria!  Flights booked.  Landing in Chicago on the 6th and driving down to Decfest on the 7th.  Leaving on the 10th.  This will allow me to spend some time before and after Decfest to visit friends and family in the Windy City.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #40 - 08/20/22 at 22:17:35

FYI I won't be attending Decfest due to stress over logistics.

9 hour train and 9 hour drive each way among other issues.

I have canceled the AIRBNB reservation only 10 miles away. Details above here is the link for a very reasonable accommodation it is $110 a night plus fees works out to $ 300 for 2 nights split 4 ways $75, with 3 $100 per, $150 ea for two.

One double bed and 2 singles

JBZen and Kamran if your going nows your chance to book for yourselves or anyone else feel free to go ahead and book

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/571084992701294172?source_impression_id=p3_16610297...

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 08/20/22 at 22:48:45

"I hear camping out is an option at Steve's place."

Has this been confirmed by Steve?

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #42 - 08/20/22 at 22:52:23

I was told word of mouth that has been allowed in past years you should talk to Sarah or Steve himself on Monday to confirm. Yes I've never been there before it's best to double check.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 08/20/22 at 23:34:21

Dana, from what I read in the past and observed over podcasts of Decfest it is a FEST. The Deckert family are hosts that provide a laided back enjoyable time for all that attend. Reminds me of family get togethers I attend that are called Flyfest and Octoberfest. Eat, drink, be merry, bonfires, listen to some great equipment(unique to Decfest) and sleep….repeat.
The registration form welcomes folks that want to pitch a tent.

Welcome Fidget your in for a real treat!

Thevinoman I really don’t think setting up shop at Steve’s would be welcomed but one of those discrete transactions out of a van might be OK Smiley.

Last year there was a shuttle service from a separate parking lot. Not sure if it will be offered this year. Most likely though because parking is limited at the Deckert’s.

There is only 25 people that registered so far. Plenty of time to iron things out to attend.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 08/20/22 at 23:41:01

Thanks BJ. John and I decided to figure out our respective accommodations for maximum flexibility and convenience.  Hopefully, you can attend next year.

Earlier today, I booked a hotel in Naperville on the 6th, so this way I’ll have a 2 hour drive to Peoria the next am.  I’m thinking of leaving by 10 am, which should get me to Decware by noonish on the 7th.  I can delay it even further if things aren’t going to pick up until much later in the afternoon.

Currently, eying some hotels near the lake about 15 min drive from Decware.  I prefer the hotel to be as close as possible, so there is a possibility of going back and forth as needed.

Wondering what the weather is like that time of year.  Should I be packing some shorts or is it already going to be nippy by that time?

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #45 - 08/20/22 at 23:46:23

Kamran you’re going to be north and close to water so I would think early October the weather could go either way I would be prepared for both.  
You may be uncomfortable in shorts in the evenings outdoors. We call that time of year Indian Summer it is when the leaves begin to change colors it may be a beautiful sight to see if the leaves have started to change.

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 08/21/22 at 01:20:05

“ Currently, eying some hotels near the lake about 15 min drive from Decware.  I prefer the hotel to be as close as possible, so there is a possibility of going back and forth as needed.”

I’ve worked in that area over the years. The Hampton Inn is right up the road and does a free happy hour every day. Otherwise the Staybridge right across the river usually has some deals.

I know you’re there for Decfest and not sight seeing, but I’d highly recommend Kenny’s for their tenders, Hoops for a Calzone, and 3030 Coffee Co. while you’re in town.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 08/21/22 at 03:25:07

Thanks for the recs Mannytheseacow!  Besides being a budding audiophile, I also happen to be a foodie and who doesn’t love a good (preferably artisan) cup of coffee!  In fact, I’m making this out to be a food and music festival getaway, which is one of many reasons I’m flying in and out of Chicago.

I was eying the Embassy Suites by Hilton E Peoria Riverfront Conf Center but will also take a look at the options you suggested.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 08/21/22 at 03:57:48

Hampton Inn was a great rec. Since it is a tad closer to Decware compared to the Hilton, I pulled the trigger!

And I couldn’t resist looking at 3030 Coffee’s website—it is indeed an artisan coffee place and they offer two of my favorite brewing methods—pour over and Aeropress.  Considering I am arriving at noonish, I am thinking, I’ll head in to town first, have lunch and coffee before heading over to Decfest.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 08/21/22 at 11:22:26

I will probably get there later than you Kamran but would be up for a 3030 cup of coffee.
Chart for average temps in Peoria Oct 7th:

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print