Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 08:20:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speaker efficiency question (Read 1888 times)
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Speaker efficiency question
07/29/22 at 15:03:34

I’ve read from the start that Decware owners should use efficient speakers. 1. Is this still the case with a 25 watt MK5?
2. Is this based on power or Decware design?
I understand a 2 watt needing to push an efficient speaker, but what about the 25 and 40 watt Decware amps? Thanks in advance guys

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Speaker efficiency question
Reply #1 - 07/29/22 at 15:54:49

I've ran 85 db efficient speakers with my Torii with great success.

My every day speakers are 89-90 db efficient and they can make your ears bleed in my room.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/29/22 at 16:20:09

Thanks Donnie. Is efficiency more about volume or is quality affected as well?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 07/29/22 at 16:40:48

There are so many factors. I protect my ears from really really loud sound so I never push my system into really "LOUD" playback. Yet with my 92.5 db HR-1 loudspeakers when I have the system to the very top end of what is loud for me I still have headroom. Crossover, room size and listening position, personal top loudness level, hearing--all play a part, and more.

The sad limiting factor is that if you don't find an amp works for you and need to return it, you could face a looooooonnnnnng wait for another Decware amp to replace it. That's the current Decware reality we face with brave resolve. Wink Perhaps the situation will improve, I do harbor hope along those lines.

I'm very happy with the levels of playback I have in my systems and that the single-ended components produce them.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/29/22 at 16:48:41

Hey Lon. Well I’m in the queue so I have time. I’m listed for the MK5 so I’m not worried about power/volume. I’m just curious if a 95 efficiency will be much different than a 88 efficiency sound quality wise.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 07/29/22 at 16:57:00

I honestly don't think "db" efficiency is an earmark or factor of "quality" in playback. Different designs yield both different "character" and efficiency, and though one could perhaps say that there's a general nature to a high efficiency speaker's sound and a low efficiency speaker sound, I am certain that "quality" exists in both extremes and in between.

Compatibility and synergy between amp and speaker is really important, and yet even that is not a certainty that can be prescribed with authority as two persons with the same amp and speaker combo could have differing opinions on the playback due to so many other factors such as power, isolation, speaker positioning, listener positioning, hearing, and the type of playback a person prefers.

There's certainly an element of "taking a leap of faith" in audio selection. Even going to Decfest and hearing something, that "something" may be significantly different in one's own room. I've made a lot of leaps, and learned from them, so that there is less "guesswork" for my own rooms and wants and likes.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Zork
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 07/29/22 at 16:58:52

I used and still own Magnepan 1.7i with my Torii Jrv2.  The 1.7i are rated as such, 86dB/500Hz /2.83v, and I don't have the conversion formula to 1w @ 1m (I wish they would not use this spec)  Anyway I bought a Zbit to use the balanced from my preamp and I have two Rel T/7i.  I had no problem driving them.  I've since moved to the Tube Tots which are very fine loudspeakers!

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/29/22 at 22:42:42

2.83v is 1 watt into 8 ohms and I’d bet the 86dB was measured at one meter, on axis.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/30/22 at 00:38:31

What EdwardT states is a popular specification that is used by most manufacturers. 1W/1M

The main question remaining after the standard is presented is at what frequency was the measurement taken. So, in my world there needs to be a third parameter reported. Often speaker specifications for efficiency are published at a single tone near many speaker's most efficient range, around 1kH. That's fair if all do the same. But that does not tell us much about how a speaker is going to sound.
You still have to live with them for a bit.

The problems with comparing apples to apples is that some don't use a sine wave for speaker ratings, implying that their ratings relate closer to real use. Using a band of pink noise or a "warbled" signal varying from 250Hz to 2500Hz is more along the lines of a real world efficiency rating.

Honestly, I don't think it matters as much as it hurts your brain, but as long as they all would use the same standard and specify each parameter clearly, literature comparisons would be more meaningful. Not there at all.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/30/22 at 00:49:38

I had tried out a set of B&W towers in my old home for a couple of weeks.
Published at 84dB efficiency. With mono'ed Zens, they sounded pretty good.
They were loud enough and had good mids and crisp highs. Just not really my cup o' tea. They sounded compressed, bridled, hindered, hobbled. Super flat, though, if you have to have that.

I've been listening to open back speakers since before the turn of the century and I have become a bit spoiled to the "no box" sound.

I still keep some powerful boxes around, but I generally only pull them out for others these days.

I did not buy the B&Ws.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print