Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 12:55:44 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Turntables-What say ye? (Read 15498 times)
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: Turntables-What say ye?
Reply #50 - 07/23/22 at 10:52:20

This guy uses a $30 vinyl vac as a core for a production level DIY cleaning machine. Lot of good ideas in this video.

https://youtu.be/U1Au-WFeWQ8

Hmmmm, there is an old disco ball motor laying around in my stash somewhere and maybe that old lazy susan used on a old platform that held a tubed kitchen counter TV has not been discarded. And...that one gallon shop vac in the motorhome....here I go Grin

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #51 - 07/23/22 at 12:08:13

OCD poster boy but there is a madness to his method except his results are the pudding in the proof. Yes just joking.

Really at the beginning he says it all, "everybody has their own record cleaning regimen and this one works for him".

In all matters balance is the key.
You don't have to go to this extreme every time you play a record.
Once a record has been deep cleaned just treat the record for static and clean your stylus and you are good to go.

Remember most consumer products made for cleaning records have you rubbing the dirt into the grooves so tread lightly with the brush. Static will attract dust. Treating records for static is a whole different regimen by itself.

Certainly for that first time when your record is new to your collection make the effort to examine and clean your record as well as you possibly can before you add it to your collection. After that just play often and repeat.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 07/23/22 at 12:40:21

I like the box he built for the vac! Adding something similar to my project list. I have the exact same Armour All vac I use. I originally bought it for my fine sander.

BJ, how do you address static elimination?
I still have a forty year old Zero Stat I have kept. I have a more modern one I bought wondering if my old one was wearing out and they seem to both work a bit, about the same.

I also tried a drop of Rain-X in my rinse when deep cleaning for the first time. Read about it somewhere online, but it seems to help for about two plays in conjunction with the Zero Stat. Whereas the Zero Stat alone sometimes does not last a whole play, especially in winter here when you get shocked just getting up out of your chair.

I worry about a product NOT designed specifically for vinyl, though. Rain-X is for glass.
I have also used Rain-X on CDs with decent results, not really worried about the polycarbonate layer, but my buffing them back to a mirror sheen works better on iffy CDs.
We're not talking about CDs, though.

I have done the spritz the floor with fabric softener thing, which helps some for about twenty minutes, maybe.

How do you eliminate static on your LPs?

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #53 - 07/23/22 at 13:11:05

Same old DD it's the regimen, the way you do it not really which gun you use, although the $400 one is the best. I still have the original red zero stat gun that came with my Discwasher with the teakwood handle and stylus brush. Do you remember it had a little suction cup with a plexiglass arm with a velvet pad attached? I just threw out the box it came in. I got it more than 50 years ago in the first record store I worked in.

I never neutralize the static with the record on the turntable. When you remove the record before when you flip it you are recharging the static.
I don't know if you've ever felt the charge when you remove a LP or heard the cartridge pick up the static and pop.

One of the YouTube reviewer OCD Vinyl Attack guys tested every brush and every gun and the results were zero stat and the $400 one were the only two that really worked. He even used an anti static mat and wrist strap to ground himself LOL.
What mattered most was how you handled the record and in what order you neutralize the charge. I can't watch this guy he is just so OCD.

https://youtu.be/83bUSSOUnuA

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 07/23/22 at 14:24:14

Yes, I have felt that charge.
In fact, I have actually had fun turning the system up and playing with that charge as if it were a Theremin as a nonsense distraction/demonstration at times.
It makes some interesting Doppler noises I use to demonstrate static to friends at times, helping them to understand where some of those crackles come from.

And my cat! If she even approaches my table stand and rubs against the rack, you can hear it. As far as I can tell, everything I have is grounded well. But the charge is between the ground and the air, the way I understand it all.

You can also "play" the static sometimes by just lifting your tonearm and allow it to sit above your spinning disc and you can hear what nightmares are embedded in your reproduction, especially in winter here.
You can also clearly hear the effect of the Zero Stat, just energizing it near the table.

Static can be troubling.
So you don't "stat" the table? Curious.
I find that the Static Guard type products on the floor help quite a bit, but the effect does not last long.
We carry a tremendous charge with us every move we make. I don't know if it's a positive or negative build up and discharge, but noticing it all is quite common.

Have we talked everyone out of using vinyl, yet?
Grin
I'll check out the vid.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 07/23/22 at 15:08:18

I woke up and the first response I read mentioned a disco ball and shop vac! I need a cup of coffee before I proceed further!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 07/23/22 at 16:03:24

Quote:
Discwasher with the teakwood handle and stylus brush

Found mine at a flea market 20 some years ago. Use it dry before and after plays as well as brush the needle. Still in very good shape.

Quote:
I can't watch this guy he is just so OCD

Glad you clarified that. My chin growth is about half as long as his Smiley

Will add the zero stat gun to my short list. Something that costs 4Xs more and needs held in one hand while being rotated 5mm above a record held with the other hand seems haphazard.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 07/23/22 at 23:31:11

Thanks for the compliments on the rebuild.

Speaking of OCD and record cleaning. Here’s one more thing. I found the VPI would charge many records as it cleaned them. This drove me nuts. I have a zero stat and it gets heavy use when the furnace runs. Not so much in the summer. Anyhow, I found one of these https://www.amazon.com/YUCHENGTECH-Ionizing-Discharge-Eliminator-Anti-Static/dp/... for $20 in the Amazon warehouse labeled works/missing parts. It showed up and to this day I can’t tell what’s missing, looked brand new and works best I can tell. I turn it on fairly high and let it blow as I’m cleaning. Bonus, I use Mofi sleeves and sometimes they are hard to get open, this thing blows them right open and the sleeves don’t stick to the record afterwards. I believe these fans may be bad for long term use on plastics, I haven’t noticed any negative effects on records.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 07/24/22 at 14:26:17

Going back to the static questions for a moment ... I have tried three platter mats that are supposed to eliminate static issues, but I really don't notice much difference between them and the stock platter mat that came on my Duals.
I'm using an accessory mat now, but mainly because my old original one was getting old.

Has anyone found one that helps with static?

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #59 - 07/24/22 at 14:47:24

My turntable still has the stock JVC thick rubber, it's a 14 inch platter.
Cork has been recommended to me. I think belt drive create more friction so you'll have more static with those types of turntables. I also think keeping the dust cover off and not keeping things on top of the dust cover reduces static. Ambient humidity of a room really affects the static electricity coefficient. The way you heat your house, do you have rugs you walking around with your socks on? I've got an indoor garden and I keep the humidifiers on with my guitars around 50/55%, that helps.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 07/24/22 at 15:47:36

The JVC F4 12" thick matt is heavily ribbed on the back side and seems to totally eliminate ringing of the machined platter when in place. After 44 years there is no sign of deterioration. We have hard wood floors and a central humidifier for winter use. Along with summer AC the house stays between 45 and 50 percent relative humidity all year. My listening room does have commercial indoor/outdoor carpet with a felt pad. Static is not a problem in my space. Sure some is generated and stored with album stock paper sleeves of which I have a plan to address.

It might be a mistake to change a factory engineered matt on a turntable. Unless of course it is damaged or wore out from abuse.  

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 07/25/22 at 10:34:50

Just placed several orders to build the Vinyl Vac rig. My costs came to about $130. If someone starts from scratch building it the way DiscRewind does including all his accessories it would run upwards a few hundred dollars! I will probably start a thread in the DIY or Vinyl forum in the future of the build. Right now there are 2 months of summer fun to fill.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #62 - 07/25/22 at 16:41:02

This is an interesting thread. I bet every house can have different static 'triggers'. For example, I have wood floors, but when I wear my shoes (rubber sole) and walk across a 2 foot wide area rug, the static is incredible! Barefoot, no problem. Then there is the fact that probably everything has some sort of charge to it. Distances, combinations, humidity and so much more will have an effect. Seems endless. All in all, I am fortunate in that the static doesn't pop as I play vinyl. I will say though, as soon as I take the record off of the TT, dust races to the surface of the record. I do own a Zero stat but have been using it improperly. I forgot about not using it with the record on the TT. Rats. Too many rules.
In those days where a ray of sunlight shows the dust in the air, you get a better idea of what you are up against. I like the idea of a vacuum record cleaner, but wonder just how much dust is stirred up by the exhaust.
You guys remember the white paper written, something like aquas cleaning of vinyl records or something like that? It is over 40 pages long and goes into the microscopic process of really cleaning the vinyl. I go for part of that stretch, but won't take it all the way.
I actually sent a few albums to PVF (Perfect Vinyl Forever) to have them cleaned beyond any ability that I have here. The result was good, but I think it is beyond my wants.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #63 - 07/26/22 at 00:00:33

What an interesting take on vinyl.

Warning this guy might not like vinyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZCTr8bTh6M&t=437s

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 07/26/22 at 14:39:51

I can understand his point with an all-in-one front end feeding the amp. The Cambridge CXVn2 with the ModWright mod fed into the SE84UFO25 would fit well into his idealistic banter. The formentioned along with a set of HDTs or DNAs would be great for a renter or condo owner and sound pretty darn good.
His view fits well into the the millennium crowd.

Vinly has that unmistakable ability to bring intimacy into the listening experience without unnecessary or excessive cost. Vinyl is a regimented practice that must be embraced to be successful.

Variety is the spice of life. We look at screens all day long. So, it is nice to pick up an album, go thru the routine of spinning it, and sit down listening while reading/looking at the old school media Smiley

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 07/29/22 at 11:35:18

Waiting on the rest of the parts to finish the vinly cleaning machine, this is as far as I got on a rainy day.

John

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #66 - 07/29/22 at 11:49:25

What grit sandpaper will you use? Cheesy

check this out

TEAC TN-5BB MANUAL BELT-DRIVE TURNTABLE
A high-performance belt-drive analog turntable with XLR outputs, the TEAC TN-5BB turntable delivers precision sound for your favorite records.

$1,799.99

Prp-Ject X8 True Balanced Connection  $2499
https://youtu.be/0rjVMVewcM8
We’re launching a whole line of new “True Balanced Connection” components that feature a balanced connection for your phono setup. The X8 is our first turntable to feature this new phono technology.

Turntables look back on a long history. Over time, many things have changed, not only from technical possibilities, but also from the environment. Wireless networks are omni present and countless electronic devices make your home „smarter“. This means there are now a lot of additional electromagnetic fields, which could interfere with your turntable‘s signal. This was simply not the case 30 years ago. To ensure the best connection to your phono preamplifier we designed our „True Balanced Connection“.

Pro-Ject X8 True Balanced TT WHAT'S TRUE BALANCED?

Balanced audio connections are usually known from the professional sector like recording studios or live concerts. It is very important to have a stable & interference free connection, as these signals will be highly amplified. The same applies to the connection from your turntable to the phono preamplifier. The big advantage of a balanced connection is its ability to remove picked up noise and interferences. And best of all, cartridges by nature are already balanced signal transducers! With True Balanced your are simply using everything, literally everything, that your cartridge is picking up from the record groove. You are not throwing away half of the usable signal, like is done in typical single-ended RCA phono connections.

The X8 comes with a 5pin output jack and with our standard semi-balanced Connect it Phono E 5P -> RCA cable. By upgrading it to our fully balanced 5P to XLR version (available separately) and using a balanced phono stage, like our Phono Box DS3 B or any of our RS/RS2 phono stages, you are fully set-up for the True Balanced experience. This leads to increased dynamics, less noise and improved signal to noise ratios. You can imagine it, like hearing parts of your music that literally were not there before.

"Pro-Ject is hanging its X8 hat on “true-balanced” connectivity, all the way from the cartridge to the phono stage. According to Pro-Ject, any pre-mounted moving coil cartridge – including the factory-fitted Ortofon – will dispatch a balanced signal via the Austrian company’s 5-pin output jack when adapted to XLR with a 5P/XLR cable (sold separately). In the box, we get a semi-balanced Connect-it E 5P/RCA fly-lead.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 07/29/22 at 13:43:38

I see you spied the repurposed use of a ShopSmith 12" sanding disk for the cleaner platter. Kind of overkill. Had an extra. It fits the bill and took hardy any effort to mate with the lazy suzan. Just had to cut a steel disk and drill/tap 4 holes to friction fit the two together. I am also incorporating an option of working the cleaning by motor or hand turning.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 01/14/23 at 13:04:45

Wanted to get this thread back in sight. Spent yesterday working on this project collecting dust! It's been setting on the radial arm saw nawing on my mind every time pulling in the garage with the car. Maybe I'll get her done today Roll Eyes

John

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 01/15/23 at 17:37:54

I find records to be most rewarding. There's the physicality aspect, which affords one the opportunity to discover relics. Digging bins is a blast, and serves as a tangible bridge to the listener and the music.

Acoustic Sounds has basically ushered in a vinyl renaissance with insane original-source remasters from the likes of Gray and Grundman, resulting in a host of killer music, which offers examples better than any that have come before them. With one steps and Blue Note Tone Poets, etc, high fidelity is more accessible than it's been in quite some time.

Tables can take some time to dial in, but I find romance in the process. Learning about equipment, such as step-up transformers, preamps, and carts is enjoyable, and learning how to dial it all in, equally so. There's a learning curve, but in my experience, once you've dialed everything in, it stays that way.

I'm currently running a middle grade pro-next with a SUMIKO Blue Point with a vintage Sherwood tube amp, and it's stellar. When my Decware gear comes in, I'll be going with Rega P10, or a rebuilt TD-124. When all's said and done, either unit would be roughly the same price, so it's a matter of old v. new. On paper, the Rega bests the Thorens, but there's a je ne sais quo that comes with mid-century audio. I've still got a while to think about it...and to save, so there's that.

Physical records also afford the pleasure (and security) of ownership. There's something to be said for owning your music, and having the peace of mind that it will always be available in spite of unforeseen difficulties with streaming media. I've never sold a record, but after entering my records in discogs last year, I was stunned to see how they'd appreciated in value. Unlike many esoteric hobbies, our precious records are appreciating!

Good luck in your journey, and my advice is: go all in! Find you some local record stores and start digging!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 01/21/23 at 17:06:51

Ah yes the joy of vinyl. Found that the Zrock can enhance some of those old earier releases guite well.

100 done....200 to go. This setup really does clean and improve the sound well!

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 01/21/23 at 18:39:36

Very nice! I built one years ago then got a box full of a VPI 16 parts. They are notorious for the box getting destroyed by moisture IF they aren’t taken care of. I built a box and I’ve been using it for about ten yrs now. About five years ago I bought an ultrasonic setup. Honestly, I use the VPI about 10x more. It’s an all day process and the benefits are not night and day in my experience, the exception being records that are in need of extra attention.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 01/22/23 at 13:13:45

Thanks Sean.

100 albums took a very long day with enough time to piss and eat! It takes about 9 minutes each doing both sides and slipping into Hudson sleeves. Not a night and day difference in sound, but the cleaning does dramatically reduce background noise.

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 01/24/23 at 10:48:03

This is an interesting video of a modern day vinyl engineering/mastering/production using mid 50s gear and techniques. Like Ed Pong but going one more step and cutting the mix down tape on vinyl.

https://youtu.be/M4_dtXZoygE

John

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print